Dawkins makes "Honorable Mention" on ESPN top tackle list

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I think most fans think Hughes is a good player. There just seems to be a contingent that think he is an excellent player or even an elite player because of "pressure" and because he gets "held on every play".

I think Hughes is good. He's just not elite. He is best when you have a guy like Mario Williams across from him to take a little pressure off. To me, he is replaceable. But you don't just let him walk without another player ready to step in and contribute.

I guess I just hear a lot of the, "Hughes has lost a step", over the past three years. All players do, but he is still a force. He proved it versus Tunsil. That's my point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I think most fans think Hughes is a good player. There just seems to be a contingent that think he is an excellent player or even an elite player because of "pressure" and because he gets "held on every play".

I think Hughes is good. He's just not elite. He is best when you have a guy like Mario Williams across from him to take a little pressure off. To me, he is replaceable. But you don't just let him walk without another player ready to step in and contribute.

Name one player that isn’t best when he has a guy like Mario williams across from him to take a little pressure off?  

I don’t think he’s “good”.  I’d rate him very good.  He isn’t elite, no doubt. Stats are what sells.  He doesn’t have much in terms of stats.   He plays the run very well and has been one of the best DEs in the league at generating pressure.  He has major issues finishing sack, but QBs know he’s coming. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ranked about 15th seems fair and makes sense.  If he will agree to a deal that pays him around 8-10th highest paid then the Bills should do it.  Anything higher and I would let him walk and get a comp pick in return.  He could be replaced in the first or second round next year.  Going into next year they will still need a pass rushing DE and an OLB early but another OT in the first three rounds makes sense.  I don't ever see Ford as a LT.  

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He's also only 26 with a good head on his shoulders, you lock him up for the rest of his career and don't look back

Yes he does have a good head on his shoulders. I like the fact that he's tough and appears to be a great leader.

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

honestly most teams don’t have 5 solid lineman either. It’s not a bad crew 

This

The bills are in a lot better situation with their OL then ppl think

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ranked about 15th seems fair and makes sense.  If he will agree to a deal that pays him around 8-10th highest paid then the Bills should do it.  Anything higher and I would let him walk and get a comp pick in return.  He could be replaced in the first or second round next year.  Going into next year they will still need a pass rushing DE and an OLB early but another OT in the first three rounds makes sense.  I don't ever see Ford as a LT.  

I think its more we would "try" to replace him in the first or second round of next year.

The draft is such a crap shoot......if I know a player is young and good (being average in the NFL is good) I keep him and dont create that whole on the team.....not one that potentially is about to make a super bowl push.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We have been through this though that isn't how new deals work. You overpay for 2 years then underpay for 2 years because of the way the market works. Maybe covid and a flat cap has some impact on that, I don't know, but the idea that the 10th best left tackle in the league signs a deal that pays him as such right away and for the duration won't happen while we have cap inflation. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have been through this though that isn't how new deals work. You overpay for 2 years then underpay for 2 years because of the way the market works. Maybe covid and a flat cap has some impact on that, I don't know, but the idea that the 10th best left tackle in the league signs a deal that pays him as such right away and for the duration won't happen while we have cap inflation. 

That’s not what I posted. He’s not 10th best. He is barely above league average. You don’t overpay for league average.  He won’t sign for less than top 5 money and the Bills should not pay him top 5. Let him walk, get the comp pick, replace him in the draft, and save the money for White, Allen, Hyde, and Edmunds. I didn’t include Milano - I’d let him walk too. 

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That’s not what I posted. He’s not 10th best. He is barely above league average. You don’t overpay for league average.  He won’t sign for less than top 5 money and the Bills should not pay him top 5. Let him walk, get the comp pick, replace him in the draft, and save the money for White, Allen, Hyde, and Edmunds. I didn’t include Milano - I’d let him walk too. 

It isn't overpaying. 

18 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I feel like Tunsil gets a notoriety boost because of the whole gas mask bong / media attention surrounding that  escapade / being under drafted. If Jerry "I'm too old for the TBD pundits to approve of" Hughes put on a clinic against him in a playoff game, then one of the two following statements must be true:

1) Despite what the TBD haters say, Hughes DOES, in fact, have gas left in the tank.

2) Tunsil is over-rated.

I'm good with either statement. Hateraide-gulpers: just pick one, and quit harping on both.

Tunsil is over-rated.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That's not the way it works. If a guy is 15th best, out of 64, he's going to get paid probably somewhere in the general range of 3rd to 8th. That's the way it works with the rising cap. It might be a bit different if the cap dips due to the coronavirus. But that's what guys get when they sign a new contract, they're above a bunch of guys who are as good or better but signed a few years back. It's how it works, and Dawkins should be signed if at all possible.

The $15 mill or so a year someone suggested is in the right ballpark. You do NOT want to create a vacancy at LT unless forced to in some way. If Dawkins refused to sign for less than $20, then yeah, you get one somewhere else. But they're likely to find agreement in that general range suggested above, and he isn't league average, he's significantly above it. The article has him in the top 11 to 14 of all tackles, left and right, and that's also in the right ballpark though most of the guys above him on that list are LTs.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Name one player that isn’t best when he has a guy like Mario williams across from him to take a little pressure off?  

I don’t think he’s “good”.  I’d rate him very good.  He isn’t elite, no doubt. Stats are what sells.  He doesn’t have much in terms of stats.   He plays the run very well and has been one of the best DEs in the league at generating pressure.  He has major issues finishing sack, but QBs know he’s coming. 

The elite pass rushers produce sacks and pressures even when they are double teamed all game long. They make impact plays at key moments. Guys like Aaron Donald, Mack, etc. They don't need another top edge rusher across from them to be effective. In fact, Mario Williams was like that when he chose to be (but he was lazy and took plays off).

Hughes isn't that kind of player. And I disagree that he is "very good". He's good. But you are entitled to your opinion. And it's ok if you disagree with me.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Mango said:

I can’t wait for the guy who said that the Execs in this poll were guys like the VP of communications for Seattle and the players were the long snappers.

Bueller?

Bueller...

Anyone...