Dawkins makes "Honorable Mention" on ESPN top tackle list

ESPN came out with another top ten list from their anonymous exec's. This time it was for Tackles(left and right combined) Dawkins came in just outside the top ten on the "Honorable Mentions". Definitely jives with most peoples convos around here about his ascension into being close to the upper tier of LT's. In fact if you factor out the RT's ahead of him, this list ranks him at 10 for LT... I was sort of surprised to see Tunsil so high. Didn't he have a massive amount of false starts on the season? And Jerry had 3 sacks in the playoff game didn't he? One wildcard game doesn't make or break a player but that ranking did surprise me. Also a TON of respect for Trent Williams having missed a year at his age. What a player.

I'd really like to see Beane lock Dawkins up before he makes another jump into those top ten waters.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29434261/ranking-nfl-top-10-offensive-tackles-2020-best-league-bodyguards

For those that cant see it heres the list.

1. Tyron Smith

2. Laremy Tunsil

3. Trent Williams

4. Ronnie Stanley

5. Terron Armstead

6. Lane Johnson

7. David Bakhtiari

8. Ryan Ramczyk

9. Trent Brown

10. Taylor Lewan

Honorable Mention:

La'el Collins

Duane Brown

Mitchell Schwartz

Dion Dawkins

Allejandro Villanueva

Anthony Castonzo

Dion Dawkins, Buffalo Bills: "He's got everything you want. He's just inconsistent. Nimble feet, anchor, punch." -- NFC exec

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I can’t wait for the guy who said that the Execs in this poll were guys like the VP of communications for Seattle and the players were the long snappers.

Bueller?

Bueller...

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he’s get paid anyways but consistency will get him really paid.  Honestly, being an OT sucks.  You shut down your guy all game, then have one slip up, guy blasts your qb , and you’re the scapegoat.  

If Dawkins has a big season, then we should pay him well.  If he has an average season, (which overall is what his play has been over the past 3 years) then let him walk and try and find someone who is better.  I hope it is the former rather then the latter.  

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

If Dawkins has a big season, then we should pay him well.  If he has an average season, (which overall is what his play has been over the past 3 years) then let him walk and try and find someone who is better.  I hope it is the former rather then the latter.  

They’re going to pay him before the season IMO. We are looking at something like 4 years and $60M.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’re going to pay him before the season IMO. We are looking at something like 4 years and $60M.

I cringe a little with that.  But in today's NFL that really is not a massive deal.  I just hope he plays well enuf that it is money well spent.  

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Would you be happy with that contract?  I love his attitude but man, playing big dudes makes me nervous.  I also think o linemen in today’s nfl aren’t as hard to find anymore.  With all the spreads offenses, there isn’t the same level of offensive line play required.

im all for paying him but there are going to be some big decisions coming up with contracts.  This is really where Beane is going to have to prove himself.  They have it really easy right now. 

I feel like Tunsil gets a notoriety boost because of the whole gas mask bong / media attention surrounding that  escapade / being under drafted. If Jerry "I'm too old for the TBD pundits to approve of" Hughes put on a clinic against him in a playoff game, then one of the two following statements must be true:

1) Despite what the TBD haters say, Hughes DOES, in fact, have gas left in the tank.

2) Tunsil is over-rated.

I'm good with either statement. Hateraide-gulpers: just pick one, and quit harping on both.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

you’re probably not far off.  Spotrac just a couple of months ago valued him at $14 mil./yr.

Im cool with him and Milano in the $12-15 mil./yr. each.  They are worth it and have been a steal at their initial contracts.  T. White on the other hand is easy $18 mil.  We really need all three as free agents are expensive and we send a message to their teammates sticking with Buffalo is worth it.  After this year we’re looking at playoffs 3 out of 4 years.  This year defines we are a heck of a well built team.

52 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

In my opinion you don't let an olineman walk unless you already have an upgrade ready to play. Quality linemen are scarce. Don't risk letting one walk if you don't have an upgrade.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

you’re probably not far off.  Spotrac just a couple of months ago valued him at $14 mil./yr.

Im cool with him and Milano in the $12-15 mil./yr. each.  They are worth it and have been a steal at their initial contracts.  T. White on the other hand is easy $18 mil.  We really need all three as free agents are expensive and we send a message to their teammates sticking with Buffalo is worth it.  After this year we’re looking at playoffs 3 out of 4 years.  This year defines we are a heck of a well built team.

Agree completely. Sign all three of those guys. Get them paid. This is what you saved up your salary cap for. These are your home grown players.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I feel like Tunsil gets a notoriety boost because of the whole gas mask bong / media attention surrounding that  escapade / being under drafted. If Jerry "I'm too old for the TBD pundits to approve of" Hughes put on a clinic against him in a playoff game, then one of the two following statements must be true:

1) Despite what the TBD haters say, Hughes DOES, in fact, have gas left in the tank.

2) Tunsil is over-rated.

I'm good with either statement. Hateraide-gulpers: just pick one, and quit harping on both.

I think most fans think Hughes is a good player. There just seems to be a contingent that think he is an excellent player or even an elite player because of "pressure" and because he gets "held on every play".

I think Hughes is good. He's just not elite. He is best when you have a guy like Mario Williams across from him to take a little pressure off. To me, he is replaceable. But you don't just let him walk without another player ready to step in and contribute.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really strong core on this team - Just need a true #1 EDGE to complete the building block checklist..

QB Allen

WR1 Diggs

LT Dawkins

CB1 White

MLB Edmunds

DE ?

We’re a “Cody Ford making a jump” away from having a strong line with Dawkins and Morse anchoring it. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Really strong core on this team - Just need a true #1 EDGE to complete the building block checklist..

QB Allen

WR1 Diggs

LT Dawkins

CB1 White

MLB Edmunds

DE ?

We’re a “Cody Ford making a jump” away from having a strong line with Dawkins and Morse anchoring it. 

honestly most teams don’t have 5 solid lineman either. It’s not a bad crew 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Would you be happy with that contract?  I love his attitude but man, playing big dudes makes me nervous.  I also think o linemen in today’s nfl aren’t as hard to find anymore.  With all the spreads offenses, there isn’t the same level of offensive line play required.

im all for paying him but there are going to be some big decisions coming up with contracts.  This is really where Beane is going to have to prove himself.  They have it really easy right now. 

Actually offensive line is harder to play than ever before and there's totally a shortage

College lineman are not coming in prepared like they used to, and it's taking extra long for them to find their groove because the college spread

Their technical skills , communication skills and knowledge of scheme are all a lot worse than 15 years ago. 

The only positive of the spread on offensive lineman, is that it tires out the defense quicker and the pace is to your advantage

But skills-wise we are at an all-time low for offensive line play. And the NFL still does not run a majority spread offense

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I cringe a little with that.  But in today's NFL that really is not a massive deal.  I just hope he plays well enuf that it is money well spent.  

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m fine with that deal. I think he’s a quality LT. He’s a top 10ish blind side protector. He’s going to have to stay healthy and play at the level of last year and not the year before. If he does it’s an okay deal.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m fine with that deal. I think he’s a quality LT. He’s a top 10ish blind side protector. He’s going to have to stay healthy and play at the level of last year and not the year before. If he does it’s an okay deal.

He's also only 26 with a good head on his shoulders, you lock him up for the rest of his career and don't look back

• Like (+1) 3