ESPN+: Top 10 WRs according to league personnel

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Tyreek is a good player but he benefits immensely from Mahomes. Look at his stats before Mahomes. His sophomore season was basically John Brown last year. Then Mahomes arrives and his numbers explode.

I would put Evans ahead of Hill and Beckham, but OBJ could have a bounce back year. 

Just saying but you put Mahomes in any offense the WR's number are going to explode the dude is a beast he and Josh are very similar i believe Mahomes just reads the D faster and is a bit more accurate but i think Josh will show us a improvement when ever they get back on the field .

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, he meant an equal tier. I disagree a bit. Godwin is above all of them, and if Cooper continues to play the way he has been he's above Diggs and Golliday too.

Diggs is a very nice player, but I think I'd take Theilen over him

Thats crazy thay you would take Theilen over Diggs

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not a big Keenan Allen guy. I never have been. He is good but almost all my top 10 I have things in their game I think are special, separation or rout running or hands or the way they use their body or their big play ability or their ability in the clutch. That is what I struggle with when it comes to Allen. What is that one hang your hat on it thing he does at an elite level?

Route Running

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29400333/ranking-nfl-best-wide-receivers-2020-execs-players-coaches-debate-top-10

Figured this one could potentially drive some discussion as we finally have a player worthy of being considered for one of these articles. The top 10 according to the 50 league personnel panel ESPN is using (followed by their highest and lowest ranking)

1. Julio Jones - 1st - 7th
  2. Michael Thomas - 1st - 6th
  3. DeAndre Hopkins - 1st - 6th
  4. Odell Beckham - 1st - 10th
  5. Tyreek Hill - 3rd - 11th
  6. Mike Evans - 1st - 12th
  7. DaVante Adams - 1st - 12th
  8. Keenan Allen - 2nd - 10th
  9. Chris Godwin - 4th - unranked
  10. Amari Cooper - 5th - unranked

Honorable Mentions:

• Stefon Diggs - ""Would go to battle with Diggs all day. Dude is a beast. And he has that No. 1 WR dog to him. I love that." -- NFL offensive assistant; "He could have a career year in Buffalo by the way they will use him. He's a true No. 1 but he seems constantly unhappy and frustrated." -- another NFL assistant"
  • Adam Thielen
  • Kenny Golladay
  • AJ Green
  • Courtland Sutton

Diggs is top 5 IMO.  Here is my justification:  

Name 5 WR’s with better feet?  I can’t 

Name 5 WR’s with better route running?  I can’t

Name 5 WR’s with better at the deep ball?  I can’t, and he was also statistically ranked number one in this too.

Name 5 WR’s with better contested catches?  I can’t, again he’s also statistically number 1.

Name 5 WR’s with better hands?  This one has more competition as there are some guys with great hands, but Diggs has great hands too.  

Name 5 WR’s with more explosive breaks and cuts?  I can’t.

And I’ve thought these things before he became a Bill.  He doesn’t yet have the top 5 stats, but he also played alongside another stud WR and also saw his offense transition into dangerous running game with a cooks too.  But talent wise, I got him in my top 5.  

Cooper being on the list over Diggs is gross.  Not a chance.  

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I'd take him 11/10 times. He's a complete player. I see Diggs as more of a deep threat guy.

Then you are wrong. Diggs runs all the routes and almost always draws the other teams number 1 corner and was the one who helped teach Theilen how to run routes.

I like Theilen but Diggs is the guy

1 hour ago, JustWinPlease said:

The top-3 are Michael Thomas, Deandre Hopkins and Mike Evans.

Imagine what Mike Evans could do with a good QB...he's so underrated.

See I like Evans but think he plays in the perfect system. He’s big, fast and physical and they chuck it all over the field. Say what you want about Jameis but he did throw for 5,100 yards last year. It’s not like that doesn’t help those 2 receivers. I’m not sure how much more we can expect? 

Julio is clearly in the top 3 for me. A healthy Julio has the best tools IMO.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I argue he does everything better or equal except speed. He's bigger, stronger, runs better routes, breaks more tackles. 

The route running is inarguably in favor of Diggs. I suppose breaking tackles would be an area where Thielen is better because he is bigger/stronger, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone outside Minnesota who thinks he's the superior wideout in any respect imo

5 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Then you are wrong. Diggs runs all the routes and almost always draws the other teams number 1 corner and was the one who helped teach Theilen how to run routes.

I like Theilen but Diggs is the guy

Without being too much of a homer I agree 100%. Thielen is a nice player. He’s in the Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Juju, Lockett tier IMO. They are good players but don’t keep coordinators up at night. Diggs’ combination of route running and explosiveness put him in a tier above. He’s considered by many as the best route runner in the league. He has elite hands and is tough in traffic. He’s been a bit of a malcontent but his skill set is elite.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Without being too much of a homer I agree 100%. Thielen is a nice player. He’s in the Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Juju, Lockett tier IMO. They are good players but don’t keep coordinators up at night. Diggs’ combination of route running and explosiveness put him in a tier above. He’s considered by many as the best route runner in the league. He has elite hands and is tough in traffic. He’s been a bit of a malcontent but his skill set is elite.

This is exactly how I view Diggs. A really nice player, but more of an elite number 2. I see him as a bit of a Brandin Cooks clone or the ultimate version of John Brown. I just don't think he has the physical tools to ever be that #1 guy. That said, I'm not really interested in getting in a fight over it. We had the same conversation last year about how John brown would come in and be a star and it's happening all over again this year.

I'm really happy to have Diggs. He's a very good player in his prime on very favorable cap terms. I couldn't ask any more of him.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not a big Keenan Allen guy. I never have been. He is good but almost all my top 10 I have things in their game I think are special, separation or rout running or hands or the way they use their body or their big play ability or their ability in the clutch. That is what I struggle with when it comes to Allen. What is that one hang your hat on it thing he does at an elite level?

Ok; Keenan Allen is one of the best route runners in the NFL!

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The "actual" list:

1. Nuke

2. Thomas

3. Evans

4. Hill

5. Julio

6. Allen

7. Adams

8. OBJ

9. Diggs

10. Golladay

You can move 6-10 however you want.

But 1-5 is correct.  

I can’t agree with Julio that low, he’s the best talent in the league, ring him for injuries, but nobody is a better pure WR talent.   Also, I think Hopkins is the better talent, but Thomas had the best seasons WR has ever had with a back up for 5 games and a 40 yr old an, not saying Breese isn’t great, but he’s not the man he was.  Really hard to argue against what Thomas did.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I can’t agree with Julio that low, he’s the best talent in the league, ring him for injuries, but nobody is a better pure WR talent.   Also, I think Hopkins is the better talent, but Thomas had the best seasons WR has ever had with a back up for 5 games and a 40 yr old an, not saying Breese isn’t great, but he’s not the man he was.  Really hard to argue against what Thomas did.

Good points.  Yes part of my thinking is I see Julio starting to decline just a bit the injuries and miles piling up and my bias is I see those other guys as not even at peak yet.  

Diggs is a good player but since the Bills acquired him, he has become Jerry Rice.  Eclipsed 1,000 yards twice (once barely) and never had double digit tds. That isn’t close to a top 10 resume.  The Bills are a better team for sure with him but I doubt these arguments would be being had if he was in Minny.

And Mike Thomas is good but he gets overrated. He’s a slant machine who doesn’t stretch the field and never had double digits tds. Perfect fantasy guy because he’s so consistent but there are better guys than him.  He’s in a perfect situation.

10 minutes ago, Nester said:

shocked Thomas was not #1 across the board. 

He averages 11 ypc.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Diggs is a good player but since the Bills acquired him, he has become Jerry Rice.  Eclipsed 1,000 yards twice (once barely) and never had double digit tds. That isn’t close to a top 10 resume.  The Bills are a better team for sure with him but I doubt these arguments would be being had if he was in Minny.

And Mike Thomas is good but he gets overrated. He’s a slant machine who doesn’t stretch the field and never had double digits tds. Perfect fantasy guy because he’s so consistent but there are better guys than him.  He’s in a perfect situation.

He averages 11 ypc.

Absolutely false. I have been a huge Diggs guy for several years now.