ESPN+: Top 10 WRs according to league personnel

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'd take him 11/10 times. He's a complete player. I see Diggs as more of a deep threat guy.

You should go and rewatch then. 

9 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Ok; Keenan Allen is one of the best route runners in the NFL!

Meh. I think he is a good route runner. I don't think he is elite at it. Don't get me wrong I like Keenan Allen. But he is 11-15 for me, not top 10. 

14 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29400333/ranking-nfl-best-wide-receivers-2020-execs-players-coaches-debate-top-10

Figured this one could potentially drive some discussion as we finally have a player worthy of being considered for one of these articles. The top 10 according to the 50 league personnel panel ESPN is using (followed by their highest and lowest ranking)

1. Julio Jones - 1st - 7th
  2. Michael Thomas - 1st - 6th
  3. DeAndre Hopkins - 1st - 6th
  4. Odell Beckham - 1st - 10th
  5. Tyreek Hill - 3rd - 11th
  6. Mike Evans - 1st - 12th
  7. DaVante Adams - 1st - 12th
  8. Keenan Allen - 2nd - 10th
  9. Chris Godwin - 4th - unranked
  10. Amari Cooper - 5th - unranked

Honorable Mentions:

• Stefon Diggs - ""Would go to battle with Diggs all day. Dude is a beast. And he has that No. 1 WR dog to him. I love that." -- NFL offensive assistant; "He could have a career year in Buffalo by the way they will use him. He's a true No. 1 but he seems constantly unhappy and frustrated." -- another NFL assistant"
  • Adam Thielen
  • Kenny Golladay
  • AJ Green
  • Courtland Sutton

Odell Becham just isnt the difference maker player that he has gotten credit for......if he is so great why do the Browns still fail?

Mike Evans.....a best of a man......should he really be ranked this high?

Keenan Allen - All I can say is ???

Sam Chris Godwin

Amari Cooper is good and should be ranked higher

I think an arguement can DEF be made for Diggs to be in the top 10 of this list.   Its amazing how they can give comments on Diggs as a malcontent.....but say nothing in this regard about Odell

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Odell Becham just isnt the difference maker player that he has gotten credit for......if he is so great why do the Browns still fail?  -Baker Mayfield and Freddy Kitchens

Mike Evans.....a best of a man......should he really be ranked this high?  -Yes

Keenan Allen - All I can say is ???  -consistent production

Sam Chris Godwin  - you make a good point.  I need to see a couple more years out of him before I consider him top 10.

Amari Cooper is good and should be ranked higher -Dallas's offense took off when he joined the team but he disappeared in too many games last year.  Especially on the road.

I think an arguement can DEF be made for Diggs to be in the top 10 of this list.   Its amazing how they can give comments on Diggs as a malcontent.....but say nothing in this regard about Odell -His first three years he had insane production.  Then a combination of injuries and bad qb play brought him back down to earth.  Still a top 5 talent though.  Diggs character is still a question mark in my opinion as I'm not crazy about how he forced his way out of Minnesota.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

I know we've got nothing better to do than sit around and yammer about these things. But I'm getting tired of the constant "our guys are getting disrespected by the prognostigators" schtick. They were put on this Earth to be proven wrong. So let's prove them wrong. The End.

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I know we've got nothing better to do than sit around and yammer about these things. But I'm getting tired of the constant "our guys are getting disrespected by the prognostigators" schtick. They were put on this Earth to be proven wrong. So let's prove them wrong. The End.

Have a red bull 

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s been years, but grey goose and Red Bull was good.  The only problem is you wake up so much as you’re drinking makes for the worst hangover at least so I’m told.

I’d like Diggs on there, but it’s no big deal he isn’t.  This year he probably will earn that false honor.  I only say that because who really cares about lists, power rankings, and so on.  I care about and AFC title, and a boy can dream on the SB.

What makes a good NFL WR? Staring down the ref after every play looking for a flag. Diving like a soccer player. Downfield blocking by holding your hands up while chasing someone from behind. Dropping the ball and blaming the QB. Being the decoy. Yelling at reporters in the locker room. Dancing in the endzone. Doing pizza commercials.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Odell Becham just isnt the difference maker player that he has gotten credit for......if he is so great why do the Browns still fail?

Mike Evans.....a best of a man......should he really be ranked this high?

Keenan Allen - All I can say is ???

Sam Chris Godwin

Amari Cooper is good and should be ranked higher

I think an arguement can DEF be made for Diggs to be in the top 10 of this list.   Its amazing how they can give comments on Diggs as a malcontent.....but say nothing in this regard about Odell

John, this all over the place.  

1) who doesn’t rip OBJ for being a malcontent?  He literally is crushed for that.

2) I’m not the biggest Allen fan but his production is top 5 level.  

3) Mike Evans is an absolute monster and is easily a top 5 wr.  He made Johnny the Cokehead Hobbit a first round pick.

4) and then you say Cooper should be ranked higher?  Wow.  

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Diggs and Brown will be a great 1-2 punch. Then you add Beasley. I think someone is open all day on this squad. 

I agree.  The only concern I have is smaller guy can be taken away easier.  That’s why IMO, it’s hard to really have a smaller number 1 receiver.  I love the guys who are covered that you can still throw to.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What's sad looking at this list is all the WR's we could have had instead of blowing 3 first rounders on Sammy Watkins Jr.  That move still affects the Bills to this day.

Why did you stop at 3 first rounders?  Why not 4 or 5?

and yes, pretty much trading up for a non qb in the first round is foolish.  But find me one mock draft that didn’t have Sammy as the best receiver in the draft.  He was one of the best receivers I’ve Ever seen in college. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/mike-mayock-s-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft-0ap2000000346685

fit makes.  Through 2 years, Sammy had similar production to Julio.  But if you think Mike Evans and ODB would have had the same production in Buffalo in our high school offense, you’re very mistaken.  

also based on that, if I was a GM, I’d be kicking the tires on Corey Davis.  I think he is better player than he has shown. 

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Diggs and Brown will be a great 1-2 punch. Then you add Beasley. I think someone is open all day on this squad. 

SF, and you add three RB’s, a beautiful tandem in Singletary, and Moss as Thunder and Lightning, and maybe they even start using Yeldon like they should as a solid pass catching RB.  Maybe we get really lucky and Knox and Sweeney turn out to grow a ton this year.  Allen is high on Knox.  Next year we take a DE with the #1 pick as our guys are getting older, and a stud TE in the 2nd.  By then Knox is a stud or a bust.  God, I can’t wait to see this team this year.  To actually face the Hawks, 49ers, Rams, Chiefs, and Broncos and not worried about the outcome.  Even the Cards should be good this year.  Between their draft, Hopkins, Murray in his 2nd year, they are no push over.  With all that, we have a winning record against these teams, and we crush the Pats (twice).  Wouldn’t you love to see Edmunds just hammer Newton in both games.

21 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

The top-3 are Michael Thomas, Deandre Hopkins and Mike Evans.

Imagine what Mike Evans could do with a good QB...he's so underrated.

Watching Evans on replay run a route is to love him as one of the best. With the top 6 or 7, we are splitting hairs over who is best. They are all terrific but I would choose Evans as my #1.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m gonna say something unpopular.  I think Mike Evans is a bit overrated.  

He’s a top 10 WR still for me, but I see many have him top 3 and I don’t think he has the mental focus or consistency to be there.  

He is frequently ranked like he’s Calvin Johnson, but I think he lacks consistency and consistent dominance.  Again, still for sure top 10 with immense physical gifts, but I just feel like he doesn’t dominate the way he should consistently.  He’s had one big season, the rest were solid to good seasons.  

For me, he’s just a big physical target with speed, but not the same complete WR the other guys are like Nuke, Jones, Thomas, etc.  His route running keeps him out of my top 5.

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s a top 10 WR still for me, but I see many have him top 3 and I don’t think he has the mental focus or consistency to be there.  

He is frequently ranked like he’s Calvin Johnson, but I think he lacks consistency and consistent dominance.  Again, still for sure top 10 with immense physical gifts, but I just feel like he doesn’t dominate the way he should consistently.  He’s had one big season, the rest were solid to good seasons.  

For me, he’s just a big physical target with speed, but not the same complete WR the other guys are like Nuke, Jones, Thomas, etc.  His route running keeps him out of my top 5.

I agree that he’s overrated, but he’s absolutely consistent.  He’s been in the league 6 years and has 1000+ yards in all of them.  My issue with him is that his career catch rate is 55%.  Compare that to Michael Thomas who is 78%, and that’s a staggering difference.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I could not disagree more. Michael Thomas is the only man I'd take ahead of him. 

47 minutes ago, Billl said:

I agree that he’s overrated, but he’s absolutely consistent.  He’s been in the league 6 years and has 1000+ yards in all of them.  My issue with him is that his career catch rate is 55%.  Compare that to Michael Thomas who is 78%, and that’s a staggering difference.

One has had the most pin point accurate passer in the NFL and the other has had famous Jameis.