Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

Chandler#81

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Your son plays for Michigan? Well that’s pretty big time  (even though I’m an Ohio state fan)

I wish he did.  I went to Michigan in the 80's.  My son played at Syracuse and then transferred to Georgia Southern.  Not quite Michigan but hopefully he can turn some heads this year if he can stay healthy.  Had a bad knee injury against LSU last year.  Fortunately surgery went well last fall, and he has busted his butt rehabbing.  

20 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I wish he did.  I went to Michigan in the 80's.  My son played at Syracuse and then transferred to Georgia Southern.  Not quite Michigan but hopefully he can turn some heads this year if he can stay healthy.  Had a bad knee injury against LSU last year.  Fortunately surgery went well last fall, and he has busted his butt rehabbing.  

I got to tell you, I don't want to offend you but my son just played a baseball tournament in Ann Arbor.  He was supposed to play on Michigan University but they switched that due to covid.  I wasn't impressed with the university.  I thought it would be nicer.  Lot of low end housing around the campus, on campus had no special feel to it.  The Big House looked cool(at least the outside, didn't get to see the inside) but it looked small, maybe because it looked like it was built underground.  Hard to imagine though that place holds 100K +.  Just wasn't impressed with the campus as a whole though, thought it would be nicer.  Even around campus I didn't see a ton of college bars.  I did see some frat guys playing beer pong on their front lawn so that brought back some good memories for me.  I didn't think it was that impressive though.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ohio State pausing all "voluntary" workouts:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-08-20-intl/

"
The pause affects men’s and women’s basketball, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball."

Re-started Today after testing yesterday 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, Gordio said:

I got to tell you, I don't want to offend you but my son just played a baseball tournament in Ann Arbor.  He was supposed to play on Michigan University but they switched that due to covid.  I wasn't impressed with the university.  I thought it would be nicer.  Lot of low end housing around the campus, on campus had no special feel to it.  The Big House looked cool(at least the outside, didn't get to see the inside) but it looked small, maybe because it looked like it was built underground.  Hard to imagine though that place holds 100K +.  Just wasn't impressed with the campus as a whole though, thought it would be nicer.  Even around campus I didn't see a ton of college bars.  I did see some frat guys playing beer pong on their front lawn so that brought back some good memories for me.  I didn't think it was that impressive though.

No offense taken.  I went there from 83-87.  You are correct about the low end housing.  It is not one of those fancy modern campuses with lots of newness everywhere.  I lived in a dorm on the "Hill" for two years.  It was called Mosher-Jordan.  It was nice.  But most of the dorms are basic average type buildings.  The school is a great academic institution.  But the physical structure of the university is not spectacular.  As for the bar scene, not sure what its like today.  When I was there there were two bars in particular I hung out at.  Charlies and Ricks.  Both were fun and the booze was always flowing.  There was also Dooley's on the other side of campus, more towards the city of Ann Arbor.  There were a lot of frat parties and dorm parties back in the day.  There were no rules about underage drinking in the dorms in the 80's. There were keggers on every floor it seemed like on the weekends.  Very different then the rules set by colleges today.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Power 5 will play. None of these small programs are cash cows for their universities, towns, have huge sponsors, etc.

I'll be shocked if all the Power 5 play this fall.  The protocols required to keep kids safe in a university setting are nearly impossible, let alone when you consider they need to travel across state lines.  The University Presidents (and many Governors) will stop most, if not all, football in the next 3-6 months.  All it would take is one kid to end up on a ventilator and a campus would explode IMO.

I'd never rule out the SEC though....

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

On 7/20/2020 at 2:49 PM, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'll be shocked if all the Power 5 play this fall.  The protocols required to keep kids safe in a university setting are nearly impossible, let alone when you consider they need to travel across state lines.  The University Presidents (and many Governors) will stop most, if not all, football in the next 3-6 months.  All it would take is one kid to end up on a ventilator and a campus would explode IMO.

I'd never rule out the SEC though....

Things change every day but it’s getting pretty late for that. Oklahoma just moved up their 1st game to 8/29. It will be a weird season but it will happen. Way too much TV money for the big programs to not give it every possible go. 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  What did I say wasn’t true?  I’ve been to good parts of the south plenty.  There are a lot of racist people who love watching football and don’t give 2 craps about the student athletes and their health.  They prioritize making money over the well being of the student athlete.  It’s completely true.  

and I pointed out Harvard because they have probably have more nfl players than a bunch of Power 5 teams.  It’s a good program and their players are going to be super successful in what they do.  If you don’t see the difference in an Ivy League degree compared to one from Mississippi State, I don’t know what to tell you.  

Last season Harvard had 5 players in the NFL

Syracuse had the least amount of power 5 teams with four. Harvard was tied with Kansas with 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.