Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ohio State pausing all "voluntary" workouts:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-07-08-20-intl/

"
The pause affects men’s and women’s basketball, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball."

Im actually almost  on the cancel 2020 year  bandwagon all together. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

While this is technically High School, I'd argue that Texas High School Football is bigger than a lot of college programs.

Another way this pandemic affects lives.  Can you imagine being a hot QB prospect who’s about to finally get his shot to start and the season is cancelled?

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Football, Basketball, Hockey and more. Earliest possible resumption is Jan. 1 but things have to be considerably better.

The Ivy League might be the first Division I conference to call off fall sports, but it likely won't be the last.“

https://popculture.com/sports/news/ivy-league-rules-out-playing-fall-sports-covid-19-pandemic/

I fear its just the beginning.

It is just the beginning, but don’t worry to much,  I predict starting in early January things will start getting better. ? ?

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It would definitely be interesting to have spring college football. Can’t say I would mind it if the NFL can get off the ground on time. In fact, I’d probably prefer it. It may increase the ratings for both the NFL and college. 

Spring college football would likely move draft later in year.

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

When I was in university, I suffered from the "Corona Virus" every Sunday morning after a rough Saturday night.

Stop drinking Mexican beer.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Big 10 commissioner also said they might end up canceling all fall sports including football. 

The only thing that would surprise me more is the same comment from the SEC. 

Sorry guys, I don’t see it happening this year. 

We will survive. Stuff happens, be smart. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Rubes said:

As I've said, this will continue to get much worse before it starts getting better.

The NBA & MLB aren't happening. If by some miracle college football happens it will be conference games only in empty stadiums. If the NFL is smart they just postpone the season till December. SB in March just before FA / Draft.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The fat lady is about to sing on football in 2020.  The US will be lucky to stay below 250,000 dead.  In roughly 2 weeks the entire South will be shut down again and the NBA will cancel their bubble lunacy.  

Nostradamus, please share more of your predictions. The world must know. 

32 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Nostradamus, please share more of your predictions. The world must know. 

I wonder what he sees in your future?  ?

'PETERMAN THROWS NO INTERCEPTIONS IN 2020/21 SEASON!!'

?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
?
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Promo, UB possibly losing out on 1.8 mill payday now that their game at Ohio state is scrapped. I wonder if osu stills has to pay since big 10 was the one who cancelled 

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the $1.8MM question. Don't forget UB had a date with Kansas State as well. 

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

almost certainly force majeure here with travel and gathering restrictions and the large scale planning for these events. No courts forcing Ohio state to pay cancellation 

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2020/7/10/21319579/anchor-drop-july-10-2020-lawsuits-are-coming

Some interesting takes in there.

The issue is that as a general rule, force majeure clauses only apply if the game is literally unplayable. It doesn’t cover cancellation where playing the game merely becomes more difficult or less profitable. And to understand this, it’s probably worth pointing out the economics of a guarantee game from the perspective of the bigger school. Yeah, a Power 5 school will cut a check to a smaller school to come play a one-off game at their stadium, but the bigger school usually makes that money back through ticket sales. But now it’s extremely unlikely that fans will be in attendance at any level that would make it profitable to play a guarantee game, if fans are in attendance at all.

The problem with this, at least from a lawyer’s perspective, is that so long as the Power 5 conferences are insisting on playing conference schedules, it’s hard to make the necessary argument to invoke a force majeure clause: that the game literally cannot be played. Make an argument for why Ohio State can’t play Bowling Green, but can still play Maryland. The stated reasoning revolves around the fact that the Big Ten can ensure that Maryland follows its protocols but can’t do the same for Bowling Green; the actual reason is probably a bit more nefarious than that.

Now, I’ll point out here that all of this reasoning goes out the window if and when the power conferences call off the entire season. Which is probably going to happen. For now, though, I’m ready for the fireworks in court.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Many of the schools/states/municipalities have current travel/gathering restrictions.

Being inside 60 days of the event (kickoff weekend) and looking 90+ days out are big gaps still between the evaluations.

id be shocked if the courts tell a school they owe for a game inside 2 months if teams may not even be able to practice. 

i also will day these schools are using force majeure all over the place to cancel and a public lawsuit to enforce a contract may cost them big money in all the events they are trying to cancel in the next 6 months. Surely UB has a wealth of agreements the are backing out of for conferences, events, etc...

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Many of the schools/states/municipalities have current travel/gathering restrictions.

Being inside 60 days of the event (kickoff weekend) and looking 90+ days out are big gaps still between the evaluations.

id be shocked if the courts tell a school they owe for a game inside 2 months if teams may not even be able to practice. 

i also will day these schools are using force majeure all over the place to cancel and a public lawsuit to enforce a contract may cost them big money in all the events they are trying to cancel in the next 6 months. Surely UB has a wealth of agreements the are backing out of for conferences, events, etc...

But the point is, if the Power Conferences decide to allow football and play conference games, it blows their argument that "no game could be played".

If they arent practicing, and arent playing at all, then that is different. Things could certainly change.

But they can't say "We can't play Buffalo, but we can go to Ann Arbor" and expect to win that argument. Just another factor that might push this into no football at all.

The other events that are being canceled using force majeure are being canceled completely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.