Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

Chandler#81

14 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Usually knee jerk reactions aren’t fully thought through and don’t end well... it may be a good idea to replace these “presidents”. 

Sports is huge revenue for Ivy League. International students are also big revenue maker. Both could be gone this year, this is probably why they are going fully online, international students outweigh sports and domestic students. 

Cant charge the same if only online and education quality will decrease significantly. 

you are probably right. Given your vast understanding of what the Ivy League presidents considered, you are right that your very  contemplative and not knee-jerk reaction is that they should be replaced.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am a little meh on that. Just because I know schools are struggling financially, and football is seen as a quick fix. On top of that, not terribly thrilled with the reporting from the NFL. We have reports of a handful of players/coaches with COVID in the NFL. Peyton, Von Miller, and Zeke. The NHL, MLB, and NBA are at least giving total players infected. They are at about 30 each as of earlier this week. Just based on roster size and practice squads, the NFL should probably be in the 70-90 range, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

Has the NFL even started testing everyone?

27 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Usually knee jerk reactions aren’t fully thought through and don’t end well... it may be a good idea to replace these “presidents”. 

Sports is huge revenue for Ivy League. International students are also big revenue maker. Both could be gone this year, this is probably why they are going fully online, international students outweigh sports and domestic students. 

Cant charge the same if only online and education quality will decrease significantly. 

lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. I realize it isn’t ‘Bama vs Ohio State, but I enjoy Ivy League play. Try not to miss Harvard/Yale football game every year and their hockey programs are 1st rate.

I'm skeert!

The Big 10 announced all non conference football games are cancelled. They're goes UB's big chance to shock the world.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

This is vague. I also don't know where it is coming from. As somebody who has dealt with the athletic dept. at each Ivy league and knowing what "big revenue" is for athletic departments, sports are not a big revenue generator. Endowments can have some difficulties being tapped into, but just to note, Harvard and Yale are 2 and 3 globally behind the Catholic church. That said, football and basketball are revenue generators in that they provide events for alumni to donate, but Ivy's don't generate much revenue at all with athletics. 

In 2018 Harvard took in $1.4 Billion dollars in donations. So their $30M in athletic expenses is a pittance. They also have a ton of head coaches and faculty that are more or less double paid. They get their salary from the school and their seat is endowed, so they get both.

This is just a wildly incorrect statement. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

This is vague. I also don't know where it is coming from. As somebody who has dealt with the athletic dept. at each Ivy league and knowing what "big revenue" is for athletic departments, sports are not a big revenue generator. Endowments can have some difficulties being tapped into, but just to note, Harvard and Yale are 2 and 3 globally behind the Catholic church. That said, football and basketball are revenue generators in that they provide events for alumni to donate, but Ivy's don't generate much revenue at all with athletics. 

In 2018 Harvard took in $1.4 Billion dollars in donations. So their $30M in athletic expenses is a pittance. They also have a ton of head coaches and faculty that are more or less double paid. They get their salary from the school and their seat is endowed, so they get both.

This is just a wildly incorrect statement. 

I've been told I'm top 5 more than once...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They're neither fish nor foul. They don't play in bowl games or the FCS playoffs.

Promo, UB possibly losing out on 1.8 mill payday now that their game at Ohio state is scrapped. I wonder if osu stills has to pay since big 10 was the one who cancelled 

Looks like the Big10 is playing a conference ONLY schedule so no 'warmup" games like UB,Akron, etc,etc... So while not cancelling a season it is cancelling what 3-4 games of it ? So this will hurt schools like UB and Akron who normally get paid decently to  "show up and take a L" (normally)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29435295/source-big-ten-moving-conference-only-model-all-sports-fall

Edited by CBennett

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Promo, UB possibly losing out on 1.8 mill payday now that their game at Ohio state is scrapped. I wonder if osu stills has to pay since big 10 was the one who cancelled 

That's the $1.8MM question. Don't forget UB had a date with Kansas State as well. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

almost certainly force majeure here with travel and gathering restrictions and the large scale planning for these events. No courts forcing Ohio state to pay cancellation 

Edited by NoSaint

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

You’re aware of the endowments at these universities, yes?

Actually we've been through this with regard to one of them.  The bottom line is that the endowments are invested, the income from the investments is earmarked for specific things (buildings, endowed professorships, endowed scholarships) and there's a limit to how much the universities can draw from their endowment beyond the income to meet deficits (for the uni I know of, it's 7%).

The largest cause of the huge deficits most of these schools are experiencing is loss of income from elective procedures and routine appointments at their medical centers (that's about 4/5 of their 2019-20 deficit).   There's some other stuff - refunds for dorms and dining, cancellation of conferences.  $45 million.

They're anticipating about 4x that next year, the largest chunk of which (they say) is anticipated need for increased financial aid.

Second largest, increased operating costs from all the testing/disinfecting and need to rent quarantine/isolation space

All that said - I would be shocked, Shocked, if Athletics was a significant source of direct revenue for any of the Ivies.  They aren't the Big 10 with the big cable TV contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That article isn’t football related though. Football funds almost all the other sports so they will play 

I'm taking the "conference games only" announcement by the Big 10 to be good news. This should now mean full speed ahead, this is the plan, otherwise they would have waited to make a judgment closer to the season. This is the judgment from them and I will take that. It’s still going to be super weird based on the projected changes in the schedule but such is 2020.

The Ivy League made a big decision on Wednesday to play no sports in the fall, including football.“

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The Ivy League made a big decision on Wednesday to play no sports in the fall, including football.“

The one that I replied to - about the ACC- was the one I was referring to

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.