Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

Chandler#81

47 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No college football revenue will devastate many athletic departments.  It also creates a headache for the NFL when it comes to draft time next year.  I hope they can find a way to play a spring season as fall isn't looking too good right now.

Since college football revenue has been enriching many athletic departments for years now, if they didn't manage to save some of that for a Rainy Day fund, Welp Cry Me a River.

And you know...it could look a lot better in a month if we just had coordinate national response. 

You might call your congresscritters and senators and let them know any thoughts you might have about that, whatever those thoughts may be....

the preceding being a PSA from the "I want NFL Football Dammit!" Society

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Football, Basketball, Hockey and more. Earliest possible resumption is Jan. 1 but things have to be considerably better.

The Ivy League might be the first Division I conference to call off fall sports, but it likely won't be the last.“

https://popculture.com/sports/news/ivy-league-rules-out-playing-fall-sports-covid-19-pandemic/

I fear its just the beginning.

The Ivy League is not Division I. At least, not in football.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

That article isn’t football related though. Football funds almost all the other sports so they will play 

I'm taking the "conference games only" announcement by the Big 10 to be good news. This should now mean full speed ahead, this is the plan, otherwise they would have waited to make a judgment closer to the season. This is the judgment from them and I will take that. It’s still going to be super weird based on the projected changes in the schedule but such is 2020.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

those dominos are starting to fall now that schools started announcing.

and Harvard is having students on campus but virtual classes. 

They are "trying" to get all the freshman on for the fall right now. But that has not been confirmed. Same for seniors. Everybody else is off campus. 

Buff State Athletics seem to be unsustainable, and they reference that it is in line with NCAA and SUNY guidelines/mandates. Athlete tests positive, everybody they come in contact with is in quarantine for two weeks. 

https://coronavirus.buffalostate.edu/sites/coronavirus.buffalostate.edu/files/uploads/PDF/restartplan.pdf

All student athletes will be required daily and immediately preceding any sport activities to undergo screening and symptom checks. If any athlete answers yes to any questions on the questionnaire or has a fever above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit before a game, they will be required to be tested and will not be allowed to participate in the game. If the test is positive the student will be isolated and all those who were in close contact with this student will be quarantined for 14 days. All sports activities related to this group will be cancelled for 14 days and with no further exposures. This complies with NCAA guidelines.

I read through the guidelines in the link below. Maybe there is something a little more authoritative out there, but I didn't see it. The link is not as strict as what Buff State is doing. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/resocialization-collegiate-sport-action-plan-considerations

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

They are "trying" to get all the freshman on for the fall right now. But that has not been confirmed. Same for seniors. Everybody else is off campus. 

Yup. I’m dealing in some student housing discussions, and certainly understand intent vs what may actually happen. Many schools have similar variations behind the scenes. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Buff State Athletics seem to be unsustainable, and they reference that it is in line with NCAA and SUNY guidelines/mandates. Athlete tests positive, everybody they come in contact with is in quarantine for two weeks. 

https://coronavirus.buffalostate.edu/sites/coronavirus.buffalostate.edu/files/uploads/PDF/restartplan.pdf

I read through the guidelines in the link below. Maybe there is something a little more authoritative out there, but I didn't see it. The link is not as strict as what Buff State is doing. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/resocialization-collegiate-sport-action-plan-considerations

Strong push for Testing for CFB to be controlled by the conferences 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Strong push for Testing for CFB to be controlled by the conferences 

I am a little meh on that. Just because I know schools are struggling financially, and football is seen as a quick fix. On top of that, not terribly thrilled with the reporting from the NFL. We have reports of a handful of players/coaches with COVID in the NFL. Peyton, Von Miller, and Zeke. The NHL, MLB, and NBA are at least giving total players infected. They are at about 30 each as of earlier this week. Just based on roster size and practice squads, the NFL should probably be in the 70-90 range, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bad decision.  Expect a huge decline in revenue. 

have you tried emailing the presidents of those universities to inform them of this revelation? It might not be too late…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.