Ivy League cancels all Fall sports

Chandler#81

Football, Basketball, Hockey and more. Earliest possible resumption is Jan. 1 but things have to be considerably better.

The Ivy League might be the first Division I conference to call off fall sports, but it likely won't be the last.“

https://popculture.com/sports/news/ivy-league-rules-out-playing-fall-sports-covid-19-pandemic/

I fear its just the beginning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Football, Basketball, Hockey and more. Earliest possible resumption is Jan. 1 but things have to be considerably better.

https://popculture.com/sports/news/ivy-league-rules-out-playing-fall-sports-covid-19-pandemic/

I fear its just the beginning.

I do, too.

They were also the ones who got the ball rolling (no pun intended) on cancelling college basketball conference championship tourneys, weren't they?

• Like (+1) 2

Teefs right. Many state universities are considering the same thing. This isn’t going to end.  For a typical phrase, I’ll be a nickel more colleges than not will do the virtual learning thing in the fall, as I now with my second son graduating from high school Are being told it’s likely they will be doing it virtually.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm pretty sure harvard already made the decision to go all virtual learning, while other schools are committed to bringing students back on campus...so who knows.

those dominos are starting to fall now that schools started announcing.

and Harvard is having students on campus but virtual classes. 

16 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm pretty sure harvard already made the decision to go all virtual learning, while other schools are committed to bringing students back on campus...so who knows.

Harvard is bringing 40% of their student body back to campus.  But 100% of their classes are online, leading them to sue the Federal Gov't which has a rule international student visas are invalid if 100% of the learning is online. They're planning to test everyone every 3 days.  I don't understand their thinking, unless too large a percentage of their faculty said "hell no I won't go!" when it came to in-person teaching.

Cornell Campus is open to all students, but the classes will be a mixture of in-person (with an online component for those who can't get into the country, and for those in quarantine) and online.  They have a somewhat controversial report that they believe they will see a lower incidence of covid-19 in small-town Ithaca if they open (and therefore can require students to sign a compact and commit to regular testing every 5 days or so, adjustable as needed) than if they go 100% virtual!!!!!  The reason is that more than half their students live off campus and said they would return to Ithaca whether or not Cornell was in-person or online.   They modeled there will be more infections if the students return but there is no requirement or mechanism for testing. [Cornell is gearing up to do its own testing of pooled samples, using the RT-PCR capacity of the veterinary school diagnostic lab.]  30% of the faculty do not wish to teach in-person.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

those dominos are starting to fall now that schools started announcing.

and Harvard is having students on campus but virtual classes. 

oh.  i didn't realize they'd still be on campus.

No college football revenue will devastate many athletic departments.  It also creates a headache for the NFL when it comes to draft time next year.  I hope they can find a way to play a spring season as fall isn't looking too good right now.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No college football revenue will devastate many athletic departments.  It also creates a headache for the NFL when it comes to draft time next year.  I hope they can find a way to play a spring season as fall isn't looking too good right now.

They're not out yet.  This was just canceling spring sports this year and is from March.

I deleted that - I do have a friend who works there and they say internally they have agreed to cancel all sports, but football is still being decided on.  The link had a July 9th date on it so I thought they had updated the info.

EDIT - University of Pennsylvania not Penn State - I'm too hot and tired to be posting ?

Edited by driddles

3 minutes ago, driddles said:

I deleted that - I do have a friend who works there and they say internally they have agreed to cancel all sports, but football is still being decided on.  The link had a July 9th date on it so I thought they had updated the info.

Football generates them about 100 million a year in revenue and no other sports are close so it's understandable

51 minutes ago, teef said:

Yeah, and they still want the full (almost) $50k tuition. You'd think they'd offer some type of discount since these kids aren't going to be getting 100% of what Harvard classes offer yet they're still expected to cough up 100% of the tuition. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep it's BS and it's just a slippery slope to never opening up public schools again . Virtual learning for all

And then they never let us take the mask off either...

It always starts somewhere

Do we really need to take this thread into this direction?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.