Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

looks like it was a best of the worst award.  

also, a lot of people are saying that

you peaked too early.  It was all downhill after your best of the worst award in eighth grade. Today you’re a washed loser who tries to put others down to make himself feel better.  That’s too bad.  

Maybe we can name an award after him! lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 days ago - "School closures have disrupted normal ways of life for children and parents, and they have had negative health consequences on our youth.

News Release | July 15, 2020 ... Opening schools will benefit families beyond providing education, including by supplying child care, school services, meals, ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

New CDC guidelines come down hard in favor of opening schools

By Maggie Fox and Nick Valencia, CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/cdc-coronavirus-school-guidelines-new/index.html

No one who brays about "follow science" should argue with the reopening.

But they still do.

because they are dishonest posters.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:21 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

What you and your pals here are missing is that telling a student they asked a dumb question is more difficult than it is to not do it.

If you think I just throw that statement out there gratuitously, you're sorely mistaken. I spend a great deal of time building an honest relationship with the students in the classroom.

Once I have that, I can tell them it's a dumb question.

I don't feel the necessity to defend my own pedagogy at this point. I don't spend hundreds and thousands of words critiquing you at your job or @Chef Jim at his.

I'm very, very comfortable in my teaching ability. I love the job more and more every year and keep getting better in the classroom.

I will guess you'll take this statement personally even though it's not my intention, but you really don't have any business telling a teacher how he/she should run his/her classroom as long as that teacher isn't doing or saying anything outrageous if the product coming out of the classroom is smarter and more disciplined.

Nothing I do or say in the classroom is even approaching outrageous.

Stay out of the classroom and away from kids.

It's the best place for them.

I didn’t take your response personally, but if you thought my feedback was designed to provide feedback on your teaching style, you missed the point.  I really just pointed out the obvious, which is that with a captive consumer required to pay for the services a teacher provides, there is little downside to a stylistic approach that would not work in a model where the consumer had a wide variety of choices and selections.  

One more try:  Using text from your post:

...you really don't have any business telling a teacher how he/she should run his/her classroom as long as that teacher isn't doing or saying anything outrageous if the product coming out of the classroom is smarter and more disciplined.

In the public school teacher compensation model, it doesn’t really matter if “the product cooking out of the classroom is smarter and more disciplined or not.”.  Whether the product is good or bad, the teacher gets paid, generally in perpetuity unless they do something very outrageous.  I want to make a distinction here—this is separate and apart from a quality teacher looking to deliver exceptional value to his/her students.  Those high quality teachers still benefit from protection in the compensation model, of course, but that’s drilling down to an individual level. 

On the other hand, in the “retail” world of unlimited consumer choice, it matters, and if you fail to provide a product or service, or tell your customer they ask dumb questions, you tend to be fired or starve to death. 

Honestly Transpy, I don’t even see how this is remotely controversial or how you could be offended by it.  I get that you’re working diligently and developing your craft, but I never suggested it was about you.  Other than...

Your suggestion that telling a paying crowd they asked dumb questions was the same as telling you 100% captive crowd. It’s not.

Finally, to your point about “telling a teacher how to teach”, I’ve never done that nor would I.  However, as local stakeholder in cost and service provided, I have every right to opine and share my thoughts, and I do.  

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

looks like it was a best of the worst award.  

also, a lot of people are saying that

you peaked too early.  It was all downhill after your best of the worst award in eighth grade. Today you’re a washed loser who tries to put others down to make himself feel better.  That’s too bad.  

Whatever do you have against people who wash? You should try it some time but I doubt it'll get rid of the stench of your poor lawyering. 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:42 PM, BillStime said:

Trump should pull Baron out of his private school and place him in DC’s public schools. The POS should lead by example - right?

Like Obama,  Gore  and Clinotn did  right? Man, the racial and socioeconomic makeup at Sidwell is SOOO diverse! 

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/08/a-public-school-paradox/495227/#:~:text=When Sasha and Malia Obama,other political progeny%2C as alumni.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

as i mentioned back a ways..the divide will continue to grow 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/as-public-schools-go-all-virtual-in-fall-parents-eye-private-schools-that-say-they-will-open-their-campuses/2020/07/26/1e446ab0-cc5b-11ea-b0e3-d55bda07d66a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-high_privateschools-840p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

While most of the region’s public school districts say their campuses will remain closed for the start of the fall semester, many private schools — which can charge more than $45,000 a year in tuition and fees — are still planning to bring students into classrooms for at least part of the week. It’s a situation that could exacerbate existing inequalities, with wealthier students attending classes in person at private schools, and everyone else using public schools’ distance learning, which left many students behind in their academics.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Few people, besides Trump, are talking about how detrimental lack of in-school learning is to those on the lower end of the economic scale. 

While a lot of great work was done (early on) to have drive-thru breakfast and lunch in some major school systems, that meant the families needed to have a vehicle to do the drive-thru pick-up. Those who really and truly needed to be in school for a meal did not get one.

Many school systems had online classes... for participation only. Why? Because disadvantaged children did not have internet at home, let alone a tablet or laptop.  (I think that some of the school systems are looking to supply tablets now, and working on hotspots.)

Online learning and home schooling takes discipline by the parents and students. If there was a "homework gap" before the shut-down, the learning gap will be massive on the return.

Many children need to be in school for nutrition, discipline, and learning. A classroom environment is necessary for their well being. The teachers unions are always spinning this as "for the children!"  Many parents are now wondering if that is true.

Side questions:  I wonder how many students will be permanently moved out of public schools to private schools? I wonder how many students will be permanently moved out of public schools to home schooling?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Few people, besides Trump, are talking about how detrimental lack of in-school learning is to those on the lower end of the economic scale. 

While a lot of great work was done (early on) to have drive-thru breakfast and lunch in some major school systems, that meant the families needed to have a vehicle to do the drive-thru pick-up. Those who really and truly needed to be in school for a meal did not get one.

Many school systems had online classes... for participation only. Why? Because disadvantaged children did not have internet at home, let alone a tablet or laptop.  (I think that some of the school systems are looking to supply tablets now, and working on hotspots.)

Online learning and home schooling takes discipline by the parents and students. If there was a "homework gap" before the shut-down, the learning gap will be massive on the return.

Many children need to be in school for nutrition, discipline, and learning. A classroom environment is necessary for their well being. The teachers unions are always spinning this as "for the children!"  Many parents are now wondering if that is true.

Side questions:  I wonder how many students will be permanently moved out of public schools to private schools? I wonder how many students will be permanently moved out of public schools to home schooling?

Notice how they've gone from arguing "for the children!" to "we're not babysitters!"?

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Notice how they've gone from arguing "for the children!" to "we're not babysitters!"?

Many people like to refer to teachers as heroes.

This seems very hero like.  When some of the weakest in society are in need, turn your backs on them and make sure to put yourself first.