Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

Here is the conundrum of this situation at this point:

Pretty much the entire nation shut down in March in order to "flatten the curve" and get this virus under control in a sense that we as a country could open and operate reasonably again.

By the end of March, we had 189,000 cases and 3,900 deaths.

In less than 4 months since we shut everything down to get this all under control so we could do things like resume schools in the Fall, we have seen roughly 3.8 million more cases and 141,000 more deaths.

So what's changed now that the argument is obviously "open everything up!"? Sure hasn't gotten better.

And it irritates me when anyone points to other countries who have opened schools and are fine.

Yeah, but you left out the other half of that equation. Those other countries got the virus under control.

Denmark, Germany, Finland, Norway, Israel who all opened schools have a COMBINED total of just over 300,000 infections and 10,800 deaths.

(Yes, I realize those countries combined have a population of about 1/3rd of the US population, but even accounting for that and adjusting... it's pretty staggering)

And Israel actually saw their death rate go up significantly when they opened schools back up.

And some of these countries STILL have students doing the hybrid model of split in class and distance learning.

I was actually ready to go back into the classroom back in March. I would do it now. My household is low risk.

Which is actually why our Presidential leadership pisses me off even more. There was a path for this to happen. Instead we got an idiot President worried about poll numbers in an election year while bizarrely doing everything he can to make everything worse.

Nothing has gotten better... in fact everything in our country has gotten exponentially worse since schools shut down and kids were kept home to keep them, their family members and their teachers safe. 

It didn't necessarily have to be a choice between losing lives or setting our kids back socially ad educationally, but you can thank our terrible President for forcing that choice upon our country and forgive the educators and their Unions supporting them for worrying about lives.

I absolutely believe that distance learning is no substitute for in person learning. And I therefore also believe our students will end up being hurt and set back.

What too many of you are missing is that we shut down schools last March FOR A REASON.  And that reason is only exponentially worse now than it was in March.

Thank your POTUS.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow.

You seem like a pretty bitter and ignorant human being who knows very little about anything, particularly the teaching profession.

Lol nice rebuttal.

Are you still just so WORRIED about all the kids even though the flu kills more every year? Yeah, that doesn’t sound like opportunism to seize the chance to get paid to sit at home and not work. 

After all, every teachers’ dream is first:

Achieve tenure so you can’t get fired for sucking at your job

And second:

Work long enough to collect a pension and retire

Open Schools This Fall

President Donald Trump announced at the White House his unequivocal commitment to getting America's schools back open.

"So what we want to do is we want to get our schools open," he said. "We want to get them open quickly, beautifully, in the fall."

When the COVID-19 crisis was just beginning to grip the nation in March, parents were already concerned about the impact of school closings on their child's education.

A Gallup poll showed 42% of parents expressing concern that the crisis would have a negative effect on their child's learning.

Of these parents, the most concern was among nonwhite parents, with 52% concerned, compared with white parents, 36% of whom were concerned.

Nearly twice as many nonwhite parents, 39%, compared with 21% of white parents, said the school year should be extended into the summer months if schools remain closed for the remainder of the regular school year.

A new report from the Los Angeles Unified School District, the nation's second largest school district, sharpens the picture regarding why parents, particularly black and Latino parents, are concerned.

According to the report, 67% of Latino and 67% of black middle school students have been actively participating in online classes. Among high school students, 73% of Latino and 71% of black students have been actively participating.

This compared with 88% of white middle school students and 85% of white high school students.

Two prestigious organizations now urge that schools reopen and emphasize how critically important physical presence is in education.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued its "Guidance for School Re-entry" report. It provides extensive guidance for safe reopening and operation of schools. It begins saying: "[T]he AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of in-person learning is well-documented, and there is already evidence of the negative impacts on children because of school closures in the spring of 2020."

Now the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine has published its new report with a press release headline reading, "Schools Should Prioritize Reopening in Fall 2020, Especially for Grades K-5, While Weighing Risks and Benefits."

"Without in-person instruction, schools risk children falling behind academically and exacerbating educational inequities," according to the release.

More at the link: https://townhall.com/columnists/starparker/2020/07/22/open-schools-this-fall-n2572876

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Pretty much the entire nation shut down in March in order to "flatten the curve" and get this virus under control in a sense that we as a country could open and operate reasonably again.

In less than 4 months since we shut everything down to get this all under control so we could do things like resume schools in the Fall, we have seen roughly 3.8 million more cases and 141,000 more deaths.

So what's changed now that the argument is obviously "open everything up!"? Sure hasn't gotten better.

And it irritates me when anyone points to other countries who have opened schools and are fine.

Yeah, but you left out the other half of that equation. Those other countries got the virus under control.

Denmark, Germany, Finland, Norway, Israel who all opened schools have a COMBINED total of just over 300,000 infections and 10,800 deaths.

(Yes, I realize those countries combined have a population of about 1/3rd of the US population, but even accounting for that and adjusting... it's pretty staggering)

And Israel actually saw their death rate go up significantly when they opened schools back up.

And some of these countries STILL have students doing the hybrid model of split in class and distance learning.

I was actually ready to go back into the classroom back in March. I would do it now. My household is low risk.

Which is actually why our Presidential leadership pisses me off even more. There was a path for this to happen. Instead we got an idiot President worried about poll numbers in an election year while bizarrely doing everything he can to make everything worse.

Nothing has gotten better... in fact everything in our country has gotten exponentially worse since schools shut down and kids were kept home to keep them, their family members and their teachers safe. 

It didn't necessarily have to be a choice between losing lives or setting our kids back socially ad educationally, but you can thank our terrible President for forcing that choice upon our country and forgive the educators and their Unions supporting them for worrying about lives.

I absolutely believe that distance learning is no substitute for in person learning. And I therefore also believe our students will end up being hurt and set back.

What too many of you are missing is that we shut down schools last March FOR A REASON.  And that reason is only exponentially worse now than it was in March.

Thank your POTUS.

As usual you are moving the goalposts then coming up with a cockamamy way to blame Trump. 

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lol nice rebuttal.

A rebuttal implies that anything you said was worth a 2nd thought.

It wasn't.

It's just plain ignorance not worth the time discussing because it stems from a brain too ignorant to understand his own ignorance or just from a troll.

Neither is worth a rebuttal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

A rebuttal implies that anything you said was worth a 2nd thought.

It wasn't.

It's just plain ignorance not worth the time discussing because it stems from a brain too ignorant to understand his own ignorance or just from a troll.

Neither is worth a rebuttal.

Save the children transplant and you can stay home and collect a paycheck FOREVER!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Save the children transplant and you can stay home and collect a paycheck FOREVER!

I’d probably be willing to pay him to stay out of classrooms after all the dumb ***** thoughts he’s posted here.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Thank your POTUS.

I have a response and then a question: if you take out of the deep blue sections of country we are doing great at limiting Covid. People in deep blue sections will not listen Trump no matter what he does.

But my question: I have a co-worker who was very proud to tell everyone she went down to Miami for the protests but now is afraid of Covid and is demanding she be allowed to work from home even though that will not work with my students and would make her useless to our school. Should the school be allowed to make her take a leave of absence since her fear seems to be selextive.?

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have a response and then a question: if you take out of the deep blue sections of country we are doing great at limiting Covid. People in deep blue sections will not listen Trump no matter what he does.

Ummm... okay Rip Van Winkle.

Red states with Republican Governors are the ones having the issues over the last couple months.

I don't even know how you can believe what you just said if you've been paying attention.

Look at Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. over the last month or so.

All red states with Republican Governors leading state policy.

All have seen drastically increased case numbers in the last month or so. They're very far from "doing great at limiting Covid" as you suggest.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

But my question: I have a co-worker who was very proud to tell everyone she went down to Miami for the protests but now is afraid of Covid and is demanding she be allowed to work from home even though that will not work with my students and would make her useless to our school. Should the school be allowed to make her take a leave of absence since her fear seems to be selextive.?

I don't know what "selextive" but it sounds provocative.

And with that situation, if she was so publicly doing that that she's traceable, my answer would be, sure.

Are you implying that's the norm rather than the exception? 

I hope not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

The American Academy of Pediatrics has issued its "Guidance for School Re-entry" report. It provides extensive guidance for safe reopening and operation of schools. It begins saying: "[T]he AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of in-person learning is well-documented, and there is already evidence of the negative impacts on children because of school closures in the spring of 2020."

Now the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine has published its new report with a press release headline reading, "Schools Should Prioritize Reopening in Fall 2020, Especially for Grades K-5, While Weighing Risks and Benefits."

"Without in-person instruction, schools risk children falling behind academically and exacerbating educational inequities," according to the release.

More at the link: https://townhall.com/columnists/starparker/2020/07/22/open-schools-this-fall-n2572876

THE EXPERTS agree........

Edited by B-Man

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... okay Rip Van Winkle.

Red states with Republican Governors are the ones having the issues over the last couple months.

I don't even know how you can believe what you just said if you've been paying attention.

Look at Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. over the last month or so.

All red states with Republican Governors leading state policy.

All have seen drastically increased case numbers in the last month or so. They're very far from "doing great at limiting Covid" as you suggest.

I don't know what "selextive" but it sounds provocative.

And with that situation, if she was so publicly doing that that she's traceable, my answer would be, sure.

Are you implying that's the norm rather than the exception? 

I hope not. 

You conveniently forgot one VERY blue state leading the way.  Why is that?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Look at what he said, idiot.

Idiot?  My my. Testy this evening aren’t we. 

Do you blow your top like that when your students get in your nerves?  

And why would I look at what “he” said. I’m talking about what YOU said. 

Edited by Chef Jim

Transpy, @B-Man raises a very good point.  The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Geek Squad Association of Engineers are weighing in.  

It’s looking more and more like opening is where the will of the Nation is trending, and you’ve already suggested you would start tomorrow.  Why are you digging in here? 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Idiot?  My my. Testy this evening aren’t we. 

Why do you assume I'm testy?

I apologize if you thought that was me being angry. It was merely a statement of fact because at least in that post, you were indeed an idiot.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :beer:

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Do you blow your top like that when your students get in your nerves?  

I tell my students all the time that contrary to the popular belief the motherly teachers have probably told them, there are absolutely such a thing as dumb questions and I will point them out when they ask them.

Yours was a dumb question.

You'll probably double down and keep pushing, but you'd demonstrate more character just admitting you asked a dumb question.

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And why would I look at what “he” said. I’m talking about what YOU said. 

Probably because you're completely ignoring the context of that post.

It's no surprise considering the wild cherry picking I consistently see over here.

Go back and read.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Transpy, @B-Man raises a very good point.  The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Geek Squad Association of Engineers are weighing in.  

It’s looking more and more like opening is where the will of the Nation is trending, and you’ve already suggested you would start tomorrow.  Why are you digging in here? 

Yes. I would start tomorrow.

I'm digging in because I have empathy. 

Nothing has gotten better.

The reason those entities have changed their tune is not because we are safer as a country now than when we shut down in March. It's because of the kids and their social and emotional well being.

And I get that. I even agree, which is why I'm willing to get back in the classroom. My students will benefit most from my in class instruction.

But what about the teachers and the kids' families?

So we just accept some casualties--which surely will happen at some point--because they're adults?

And what about when kids get sick or die?

Nothing is better.

It's bizarre logic to have to shut everything down back in March so we can get the virus under control (which other countries have done successfully) and now claim that we obviously have to fully open back up even though things are much, much worse.

I'm not the one digging. Your President dug us into this hole and we're all suffering the consequences.

1 minute ago, realtruelove said:

Just to set the record straight in this thread, a person is more likely to catch COVID-19 locked up at home then in a school with children.  

Link?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The reason those entities have changed their tune is not because we are safer as a country now than when we shut down in March. It's because of the kids and their social and emotional well being.

And I get that. I even agree, which is why I'm willing to get back in the classroom. My students will benefit most from my in class instruction.

So we just accept some casualties--which surely will happen at some point--because they're adults?

Nothing is better.

It's bizarre logic to have to shut everything down back in March so we can get the virus under control (which other countries have done successfully) and now claim that we obviously have to fully open back up even though things are much, much worse.

I'm not the one digging. Your President dug us into this hole and we're all suffering the consequences.

Link?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-schools-evidence-kids-coronavirus.html

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nothing is better.

If your goal is zero casualties, then distance learning should always be the norm.  Do you truly think the system is set up for 0 risk to kids, families and teachers? 

What’s changed since March, when everything changed, is everything.   The world closed, except for places like the Home Depot (risk is worth it we need those leaf bags!), liquor stores and the food stores.  Schools closed, understandably and with little pushback.  

Then came the summer of our discontent.  Suddenly, miraculously really, we discovered that protesting amongst thousands is like kryptonite to COVID.  Meanwhile, we find that family gatherings and church services with attendees to talking more than all the fingers and toes on the human body are breeding grounds for COVID.  So...protest in large crowds, gather, rage, interact, cry, hug, share etc is 100% fine, but people in a socially distanced classroom is so dangerous as to not even be on the table?  

It’s political football. 

I’m not less concerned for teachers or children in school than I am for everyone else, but I’m not more concerned.  To be honest, if a teacher is immuno-compromised, diabetic or whatever, this is probably a good time to retire, consider disability or find other work.  When my children were in school, it seemed viruses and colds made the rounds multiple times.  Replace the older teachers with people not immune-compromised.  School is about the children—at least from the parents perspective. 

When all is said and done, We agree—-I think most teachers are like just like you.  They want to get back in the classroom. I’d bet most are not sitting In the house with windows closed and doors locked when not teaching—they are out and about interacting with all sorts of people.  There is risk there as well, but they gut it out like the rest of us.  It sounds to me that your President Trump is trying to give you all what you want, but you despise your President so much you’re digging in.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 2