Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

5 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Was that picture taken during Obama's administration.

I don't know.  It doesn't say whether it's a picture of a kid separated from his parents when he crossed as they awaited an asylum ruling in 2018 or if he cross unaccompanied seeking refuge from the violence in Central America in 2014.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Above my pay grade, but I think what my school is going to do is a good start.

Block scheduling where you see 3 periods each day for 80 minutes each. 

However, only 1/4th of your students come to class in person in order to minimize students on a campus of 2,000+ students and keep students physically apart in the classroom. One day a week (our school chose Wednesday as a day JUST teachers are in the classroo) dedicated solely to distance learning with potentially Individual students coming in for one on one conferences or tutorials. This means I only see my students physically in the classroom once every 2 weeks to start.

If that's going well, cut to 50% capacity so you see your students once a week.

If that goes well, everyone comes back.

I am actually generally okay with that proposal because I understand the circumstances. A number of my coworkers have serious issues about being in the classroom at all. I completely understand their stances even if it's not my personal position.

Sounds like a bulletproof plan.  My prediction is you'll go back to fall 2009 sop by the third week.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oy.

"Intentionally being unsafe."

Yeah, good luck with that figuring that out in the first place and then going the extra step to enforce it

The lack of respect you guys over here have for education is astounding because much of it stems from sheer ignorance.

You do know I am a teacher at an alternative high school with mostly minority students right? I think I know how I would handle it, now admin might not back me up now because of politics but I have never had an issue before.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bilzfancy said:

It's not stupid, he's right

Shhhh! The next knock on your door will be from the Teachers Union. Don’t mess with things. (Reference the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets a visit from the Postmaster General after he refuses to accept the mail.) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shhhh! The next knock on your door will be from the Teachers Union. Don’t mess with things. (Reference the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets a visit from the Postmaster General after he refuses to accept the mail.) 

Shouldn't you be wearing the bucket on your head?  ?

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO...the Teachers' Union makes the Teamsters look like Union saints.......we know they're honorable.....

My friend I don't teach high school.  But I do teach college and grad school and I have never done “radical left indoctrination”.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You do know I am a teacher at an alternative high school with mostly minority students right? I think I know how I would handle it, now admin might not back me up now because of politics but I have never had an issue before.

Why would I know you're a teacher?

If you're a teacher, then you know that no matter how attuned a teacher is with his/her classroom and students, everything outside the classroom are obstacles to your proposal.

Admin is one.

Parents are another.

It's not just coming up with good ideas, it's can you implement them without severe liability risk or risks of being sued, which is certainly what Admin will be thinking of.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Sounds like a bulletproof plan.  My prediction is you'll go back to fall 2009 sop by the third week.

Can't read your tone here very well, but our school alone had a small Summer School with some in-class learning and there was a Covid-19 case in that session that was big news in the community.

In the news today it said that about 1 in 4 teachers fall under the "at-risk" category.

This is going to likely be an extreme slow-walk.

6 hours ago, dubs said:

What a fear-mongering moron.

Less than 4 months til he's voted out  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

It's not stupid, he's right

No, he's not.

He's an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why would I know you're a teacher?

If you're a teacher, then you know that no matter how attuned a teacher is with his/her classroom and students, everything outside the classroom are obstacles to your proposal.

Admin is one.

Parents are another.

It's not just coming up with good ideas, it's can you implement them without severe liability risk or risks of being sued, which is certainly what Admin will be thinking of.

I am not shy about telling anyone who will listen I am a teacher, but you did tell me I don't respect teachers. As for your obstacles, admin and parents can always be an issue, especially when it is not applied across the board. If everyone is told for the get go what the expectations are and the punishment then it can happen. How does your school deal with weapons and drugs? The problems generally come from the policy not being applied equally 

On 7/11/2020 at 12:02 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

How old are you? You were talking  about your older colleagues  being obese, tired  and worn out. Wait a few years you will be  there. You seem to be young and full  of piss and vinegar. We all were at one time.  Your job is to teach  the students how to read, spell and be exposed to the classic literature, not indoctrinate them to your world view.  That is their parents job and if you don't like it, too bad.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1