Poloncarz calls for New Era to remove its name from Bills stadium

Can anyone point out specifically when it was that businesses became responsible for the financial well being of their employees ? Yeah I know tax payer funds. 

Well say they've blown through the $ they received, are they then required to spend $ that may not be there to support them. To what END ? I'm asking as a person who has been employed with a company for the last 20 yrs w/o a college degree and was lucky enough to raise a family on that income. Only to find out that after this long layoff I will not be returning to my job. Seems like it would be very easy to complain about my situation. Sucks for me I guess, I was raised with the beliefs that I'm responsible for myself. Guess it's time to go back into a work force at 40 w/ no degree. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not to mention, those people will probably make more on unemployment from home than they would working right now, with the current conditions. Then they can go back to their jobs when they are needed to generate revenue again.  

These were HQ jobs, so not likely.    Especially with the $600 per week pandemic relief payments going away at the end of July.     Regular weekly NYS unemploymment checks would probably be $250 to $350, so a lot less income than they were likely making...

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

These were HQ jobs, so not likely.    Especially with the $600 per week pandemic relief payments going away at the end of July.     Regular weekly NYS unemploymment checks would probably be $250 to $350, so a lot less income than they were likely making...

don’t be so sure - my little cousin was working there (until yesterday) and she wasn’t making jack. She’s young, entry level whatever but she was working downtown.

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Do realize people, the reason businesses incorporate themselves is to dodge personal responsibility/liability for their actions. Their ability to do so was a back room deal with our elected officials that were supposed to be protecting the citizens interests many many years ago, now the non living entities called businesses have more legal protections than we citizens. That hat company just got over Five million of we tax payers dollars for the sole reason to keep people employed, what’s those lyrics.. ooh ooh, take the money and run...

This cracks me up. Probably a worthwhile topic for the political forum. 

Just FYI - The PPP is not a magical money tree Don.  At some point the money received runs out. 

With the complete lockdown of the country, the bills are now coming due. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dub said:

Can anyone point out specifically when it was that businesses became responsible for the financial well being of their employees ? Yeah I know tax payer funds. 

Well say they've blown through the $ they received, are they then required to spend $ that may not be there to support them. To what END ? I'm asking as a person who has been employed with a company for the last 20 yrs w/o a college degree and was lucky enough to raise a family on that income. Only to find out that after this long layoff I will not be returning to my job. Seems like it would be very easy to complain about my situation. Sucks for me I guess, I was raised with the beliefs that I'm responsible for myself. Guess it's time to go back into a work force at 40 w/ no degree. 

Lots of places are hiring. Good Luck!

Edited by bmur66

Never understood why New Era bought the naming rights. Who buys a hat based on brand?   Frankly, Mike’s Big Mouth Coliseum has a much nicer sound. 

13 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not to mention, those people will probably make more on unemployment from home than they would working right now, with the current conditions. Then they can go back to their jobs when they are needed to generate revenue again.  

Problem for them is timing - the federal unemployment portion expires at the end of the month, and I doubt the republicans have the stomach for handing out more $.  Should have laid them off in April. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Do realize people, the reason businesses incorporate themselves is to dodge personal responsibility/liability for their actions. Their ability to do so was a back room deal with our elected officials that were supposed to be protecting the citizens interests many many years ago, now the non living entities called businesses have more legal protections than we citizens. That hat company just got over Five million of we tax payers dollars for the sole reason to keep people employed, what’s those lyrics.. ooh ooh, take the money and run...

I'm sure there are many cases of companies abusing the system, but with New Era for example, they got their PPP loan based on keeping 488 employees. Laying off the 117 employees that Polancarz mentions brings them down to 488 (or within like 1-5 of that), so they actually did exactly what they said they'd do (so far).