Poloncarz calls for New Era to remove its name from Bills stadium

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said that he will no longer call the Buffalo Bills' stadium New Era Field. He is angry New Era laid off 117 local employees from its downtown headquarters the day after the federal Paycheck Protection Program expired.

Poloncarz said the company doesn't deserve to have its name gracing the stadium after its treatment of local employees. 

"I am exceptionally disappointed with New Era," Poloncarz said Wednesday. "And I'll say this. After seeing everything that we dealt with with New Era whenever we had negotiations on the stadium, I don't believe we are going to give naming rights to any Bills organization that can sell them and then have an organization treat our community as poorly as New Era did."

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has a tweet from June 26th on his account where he is talking about having to take drastic measures due to Covid.  I guess it doesn't apply to New Era who probably just wanted to lay off people for no good reason.  Covid and drastic measures probably had nothing to do with it lol.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

He has a tweet from June 26th on his account where he is talking about having to take drastic measures due to Covid.  I guess it doesn't apply to New Era who probably just wanted to lay off people for no good reason.  Covid and drastic measures probably had nothing to do with it lol.

They may bring them back even

Jim Patterson, New Era’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, told The News in an email that the company plans to bring “the majority of our employees across North America back from furlough” by mid to late August.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I preferred Elwood Taco, back when I was doing the wee hours club circuit in Buffalo, many, many moons ago. . Elmwood Taco  used a finer grade of dog food for the meat, as opposed to Mighty Taco. :D

Never been there.

The Mighty Stadium has a great ring to it!

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They may bring them back even

That's good news.  My company, probably like a lot of companies, furloughed a lot of people with the intention of bringing them back.  

We actually all went on 20% pay reduction to avoid straight up layoffs.

Edited by Johnnycage46

Eh, I can’t really fault a company making these types of moves, even if they are extremely unpopular. The personal stories I’ve heard about working at New Era, however, almost make me want to side with the county executive in this case.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I preferred Elwood Taco, back when I was doing the wee hours club circuit in Buffalo, many, many moons ago. . Elmwood Taco  used a finer grade of dog food for the meat, as opposed to Mighty Taco. :D

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

Never been there.

Are you sure, Rico?  When I see your avatars, I am convinced I saw you and Bart there at 3:45 am dozens of times.  You are BOTH early 80s Elmwood Taco iconographs. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So what are they supposed to do? Make irresponsible business decisions to keep people working even though they are not generating the revenue they need to pay them??

Not to mention, those people will probably make more on unemployment from home than they would working right now, with the current conditions. Then they can go back to their jobs when they are needed to generate revenue again.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

Are you sure, Rico?  When I see your avatars, I am convinced I saw you and Bart there at 3:45 am dozens of times.  You are BOTH early 80s Elmwood Taco iconographs. 

No, I left Buffalo in the late 70's. Back to visit many times up to the end of the 80's, then very infrequently since then. I was very close to Elmwood & Hertel, but I don't remember Elmwood Taco. Could be my heart was with Mighty!

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Next he'll be asking for the statue of Ralph removed because he's dead and no longer contributes to society.

Works for me!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The writing has been on the wall for some time now with New Era moving work out of Blo, kinda sleazy way to do it, but that’s how all corporations operate. Money is their god... people aren’t even second on their list of priorities... Anyone know how long the Naming contract lasts?

• Like (+1) 2