RIP Brooks Brothers

12 hours ago, The Dean said:

Many years ago I traveled to NYC for a few days of meetings. The last day of meetings, I took my last dress shirt out of the dry cleaning bag. It had broken buttons and a huge iron scorch on it. Motherfather!

The meeting was at 11am or noon, so I went to a Brooks Brothers near the hotel and bought an overpriced shirt on the condition they iron (or steam) out the wrinkled. They were very accommodating. I was actually very impressed. That didn't last long as the collar started fraying on about the second or third wearing. I had a beard, but NONE of my other dress shirt collars every got frayed. That was my last BB purchase. 

the one item i would buy from BB was their wrinkle free shirts.  you could ball those suckers up and not have a single crease after.  they were almost worth the money.

7 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I miss the JOS Banks mega-sales...the buy one, get three free.  Those days are gone.

they don't do that anymore.

banana republic had nice fitting rack suits too.  the trick is to go when stuff is on sale.  i did that, opened a credit card to get a bigger discount, and i think the suit was $200 after all of that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

banana republic had nice fitting rack suits too.  the trick is to go when stuff is on sale.  i did that, opened a credit card to get a bigger discount, and i think the suit was $200 after all of that.

Nothing in the J.Peterman collections?  Concentrating on accessories (I.e., urban sombrero)?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/9/2020 at 12:50 AM, KD in CA said:

What kind of job?  In the old days you couldn’t overdress for an interview, but you can these days.

It’s an investment banking/corporate finance position. I’m not worried about him or his attire as he goes thru the process. He gets it, and he’s also getting married next month. Mom felt the need to stock his closet (again) with all levels of attire. Don’t forget the shoes!

Speaking of mom, she was recently interviewing people for Director of Marketing for a major company. They had about 40 good applicants and they narrowed it down to 3-4 for her to interview. One guy was clearly uptight and overdressed, but........that was better than the lady who wore a ratty old tee shirt, didn’t bother to fix her hair and looked like she just climbed out of bed. Neither were hired. Awesome backgrounds, but you need to know the times and nail the interview. The person chosen was just announced yesterday and my wife is thrilled to get that slot filled and off her plate. For the record, the wife had a nice top on to go with her yoga pants. Enough, but not too much. :) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Good riddance.  Ties and monkey ? suits are petri dishes.

21 hours ago, teef said:

lol!  I almost never wear a suit either.  literally to only weddings.  my brother has to every day, and it seems like a hassle.  the dry cleaning alone makes me never want to own one.

Just don't  dry clean  it. LoL... See above post.  ?  See, easy...

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I can't tell you the last time I wore a full suit. Probably when I sold my last medicare supplement policy. Which'd be about 8 years ago.

Though, I'm thinking of getting one. Every dude needs at least one suit.

Yup.....and make sure it’s one you like because you’ll be wearing it forever!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At a holiday party I attended, the husband of an associate did the same.  However as it was a Walmart shirt, he missed some cardboard and the creases were really bad.  Mr. Blackwell would not have been impressed.  ?

Once on a business trip to Oklahoma City, my flight was seriously late---and my bags were missing. I had an early morning meeting, and all i had were the jeans and shirt I word on the flight. Not knowing if my bag would get there before the meeting, I asked the hotel if there was ANY store open where I might get some clean clothes. There was a 24 hour Walmart. This may have been my first trip to a Walmart, I believe. Long story short: It looked like I was going to go to the meeting looking like a grocery store stock boy.  Fortunately my bad arrived around 5AM.

I started traveling for business trips with a sport coat and khaki's, just in case, from then on.

I almost never have the need to wear a suit (or even long pants) these days. I go out of my way to actually dress up a couple times a year. I hate having to dress up but I like choosing to on occasion.

• Like (+1) 1

Brooks Brothers in recent times failed to make a man feel like a million dollars wearing one of their suits.  Their salespeople became too obsessed with the result (the sale) instead of the process.  The older BB sales guys would give you a suit for you - not the most expensive one or perhaps the trendiest one, but a suit that fit your body and made you look amazing.

Same thing happened at Victoria Secret for women.  Once upon a time, Victoria Secret had knowledgeable employees who knew the product and more importantly, knew how to advise women on what to buy.  Women would shop Victoria Secret exclusively because they knew they could go there and get sound, and free, advice.  Then, VS started hiring your average teenage girl who probably wasn't wearing a properly fitted bra herself, and it just became another mediocre apparel store.  

Brooks Brothers has the best shirts . . . especially the non-iron shirts.  

If you need a dress shirt, I thoroughly recommend them.  They periodically throughout the year have them for sale.

They currently have a sale on the shirts:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Dress-Shirts/men-shirt-clearance,default,sc.html?lid=topnav-menu

Sad, Brooks was a client of mine - I know lots of good people in their IT department and I'm sad to think that they may all be looking for new jobs now. A few years ago one of their DC's had a roof collapse in CT due to snow and that really impacted their e-comm fulfillment business but they bounced back. Nothing is forever...

On 7/8/2020 at 9:21 PM, The Dean said:

Many years ago I traveled to NYC for a few days of meetings. The last day of meetings, I took my last dress shirt out of the dry cleaning bag. It had broken buttons and a huge iron scorch on it. Motherfather!

You never told us about the next visit to that dry cleaner...

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You never told us about the next visit to that dry cleaner...

I never stepped foot in that dry cleaner again. Back then it was a constant war with dry cleaners. I FINALLY found a great cleaner in LA. Problem was, when I had to pay the bill I thought, why didn't I just buy new clothes?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I never stepped foot in that dry cleaner again. Back then it was a constant war with dry cleaners. I FINALLY found a great cleaner in LA. Problem was, when I had to pay the bill I thought, why didn't I just buy new clothes?

it’s good to know you are wearing clothes again.

Right now? A tee shirt and underwear. I got class man. Plus I'm in the middle of doing laundry.

I'll slip on some shorts for my 9pm Zoom happy hour with the SF women.