RIP Brooks Brothers

Last time I was in the office.

I'm a lawyer.

IMO Brooks Brothers died by failing to update their styles to anything close to current or stylish.

They have bene very bland, straight-up, traditional suits, of not particularly high quality, for a very long time.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

i like brooks brothers, but i never though it was worth the price.  on top of that, every time you walk int that store, and attendant is up your rectum. 

I always found it to be a ***** snobfest in there.  Little a-hole is making $11/hour and he's going to look down his nose at everyone who walks in the door?  Eff you, pal.

I haven't bought a suit in over a decade, but I was happy with my S&K suits and still wear them when the occasion calls for it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I always found it to be a ***** snobfest in there.  Little a-hole is making $11/hour and he's going to look down his nose at everyone who walks in the door?  Eff you, pal.

I haven't bought a suit in over a decade, but I was happy with my S&K suits and still wear them when the occasion calls for it.

i wouldn't say they were snooty in the store by us, but they're a hard sell type store.  the last time i was in there the guy went from showing me what i was interested in, to trying to get me to buy a cashmere sweater for my wife for christmas.  that B word can dress herself.  

when i comes to suits, it's all about the fit.  you can get a great suit off the rack, but it usually needs a few alterations to make it perfect.  i had a couple of sport coats made once.  the cost was gross, and i have store bought coats that fit just as well.  they don't have my name monogrammed inside, but i'm over that stuff.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i wouldn't say they were snooty in the store by us, but they're a hard sell type store.  the last time i was in there the guy went from showing me what i was interested in, to trying to get me to buy a cashmere sweater for my wife for christmas.  that B word can dress herself.  

when i comes to suits, it's all about the fit.  you can get a great suit off the rack, but it usually needs a few alterations to make it perfect.  i had a couple of sport coats made once.  the cost was gross, and i have store bought coats that fit just as well.  they don't have my name monogrammed inside, but i'm over that stuff.

When I bought my suits at S&K they had someone mark them up and they were sent to a tailor for alterations.  I was very pleased.  But I've only ever worn suits to wakes, funerals and weddings .. you know, all things associated with death.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

When I bought my suits at S&K they had someone mark them up and they were sent to a tailor for alterations.  I was very pleased.  But I've only ever worn suits to wakes, funerals and weddings .. you know, all things associated with death.

lol!  I almost never wear a suit either.  literally to only weddings.  my brother has to every day, and it seems like a hassle.  the dry cleaning alone makes me never want to own one.

I got a suit for HS graduation from the Kleinhan's clothing store in Buffalo oh so many years (decades)  ago.

I still have the wood coat hanger but the suit has mysteriously shrunk over the years.

I erroneously wore a suit on my first day at work way back when  and

45 years later my last day in the lab  was in a tee shirt and jeans.

Edited by LewPort71

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://apnews.com/e9a2197f5769f089d0055a9a314129d5

When was the last time you ever saw someone wear a suit to work?

March 12th, the last day before the lockdown.     The banking industry still hasn't gone completely casual, with front line sales and management folks still suited up 80% of the time. 

The problem with Brooks Brothers was a value/price imbalance.    Too expensive for what they offered in terms of quality.     And an inability to shift focus with changing times...

Many years ago I traveled to NYC for a few days of meetings. The last day of meetings, I took my last dress shirt out of the dry cleaning bag. It had broken buttons and a huge iron scorch on it. Motherfather!

The meeting was at 11am or noon, so I went to a Brooks Brothers near the hotel and bought an overpriced shirt on the condition they iron (or steam) out the wrinkled. They were very accommodating. I was actually very impressed. That didn't last long as the collar started fraying on about the second or third wearing. I had a beard, but NONE of my other dress shirt collars every got frayed. That was my last BB purchase. 

I picked up two suits for my son yesterday following alterations. He’s out of town, so I do the busy work. He’s applying for a new job soon, but can’t meet with anyone in person. Strange times.....

I got a few new suits a year or so ago, and took twice as many to Goodwill. I’ve worn one to a wedding, have our son’s wedding coming next month....and that’s about it. My wife asked if they still fit. Far more polite than “you are fatter than you used to be”. 

I lived in a suit for decades in my banking days. Times have changed. Suits are not an every day thing the way they used to be, even in banking. 

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Many years ago I traveled to NYC for a few days of meetings. The last day of meetings, I took my last dress shirt out of the dry cleaning bag. It had broken buttons and a huge iron scorch on it. Motherfather!

The meeting was at 11am or noon, so I went to a Brooks Brothers near the hotel and bought an overpriced shirt on the condition they iron (or steam) out the wrinkled. They were very accommodating. I was actually very impressed. That didn't last long as the collar started fraying on about the second or third wearing. I had a beard, but NONE of my other dress shirt collars every got frayed. That was my last BB purchase. 

I had to do that once in NYC.  Work went till midnight so I got a hotel room nearby, toiletries kit and underwear at Duane Reade, and hit BB for a shirt the next morning.  Wore it right out of the store!

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s applying for a new job soon, but can’t meet with anyone in person. Strange times.....

What kind of job?  In the old days you couldn’t overdress for an interview, but you can these days.

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Last time I was in the office.

I'm a lawyer.

IMO Brooks Brothers died by failing to update their styles to anything close to current or stylish.

They have bene very bland, straight-up, traditional suits, of not particularly high quality, for a very long time.

yeah, I never got the appeal of brooks brothers at their prices. You can get high quality custom suits cheaper at other places, even online places now like M Tailor. Or you can get decent quality and more stylish suits off the rack for a lot less cheaper at places like Macy’s or JOS Banks. 

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Wore it right out of the store!

At a holiday party I attended, the husband of an associate did the same.  However as it was a Walmart shirt, he missed some cardboard and the creases were really bad.  Mr. Blackwell would not have been impressed.  ?

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I picked up two suits for my son yesterday following alterations. He’s out of town, so I do the busy work. He’s applying for a new job soon, but can’t meet with anyone in person.

Buy sport coats now (for the Zoom meetings).  Buy slacks later for the 'in person' interviews.  AND TELL HIM DON'T STAND UP!

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Or you can get decent quality and more stylish suits off the rack for a lot less cheaper at places like Macy’s or JOS Banks. 

I miss the JOS Banks mega-sales...the buy one, get three free.  Those days are gone.