One of the first in a long line of head scratching losses by the "Bickering Bills" of 1989.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, njbuff said:

I remember that game well.

The Bills won a lot of close weird games at home 1990.

This was the story of our 4 Super Bowl LOSSES!   A very weak defensive backfield (Smith, Kelso & Kirby Jackson) plus a very  AVERAGE Offensive Line that had such an advantage with Kelly, Reed, Lofton and Kelly until teams just blitzed right through the no-huddle!

8 hours ago, LB48 said:

This was the story of our 4 Super Bowl LOSSES!   A very weak defensive backfield (Smith, Kelso & Kirby Jackson) plus a very  AVERAGE Offensive Line that had such an advantage with Kelly, Reed, Lofton and Kelly until teams just blitzed right through the no-huddle!

Sorry, can't agree with either of your takes here.  Two DBs you omitted, Leonard Smith and Nate Odomes, were certainly top-tier, thus labeling the Bills DBs "very weak" is a misnomer.  In addition, the offensive line, anchored by Kent Hull, who should be in the HOF BTW, and included stalwarts Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, and House Ballard, was certainly above average.  The story of the four SB loses was simply, other than XXV, the opponents were a better team.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Sorry, can't agree with either of your takes here.  Two DBs you omitted, Leonard Smith and Nate Odomes, were certainly top-tier, thus labeling the Bills DBs "very weak" is a misnomer.  In addition, the offensive line, anchored by Kent Hull, who should be in the HOF BTW, and included stalwarts Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher, and House Ballard, was certainly above average.  The story of the four SB loses was simply, other than XXV, the opponents were a better team.

I would say that was a great offensive line we had in that era.  Whenever I watch highlights from the Super Bowl years now it's not so much Andre, Jim, and Thurman I pay attention to and it has nothing to do with taking anything away from them but I get amazed at watching how dominant our offensive line was.  Go back and watch the clips whether it was creating a concrete wall in pass blocking or opening holes big enough you could drive a Plow through for Thurman and Kenny Davis watching the o-line from that era is a thing of beauty.  We haven't had a line even close to that since those days.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

That and the Bills didn't have any big men up front on D to protect Bruce and I think that is the biggest factor as to why they never grabbed the brass ring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

That and the Bills didn't have any big men up front on D to protect Bruce and I think that is the biggest factor as to why they never grabbed the brass ring.

The Bills also valued speed/agility on their OL as opposed to road graders, to be able to get to their needed next level blocks for the sweeps, counters and draw plays they liked in the run game—IIRC, both the skins and the Boys had much more beef man for man in the trenches to clog up that advantage in the SBs. Outside of House Ballard, did any of our guys even tip 300? 

59 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The Bills also valued speed/agility on their OL as opposed to road graders, to be able to get to their needed next level blocks for the sweeps, counters and draw plays they liked in the run game—IIRC, both the skins and the Boys had much more beef man for man in the trenches to clog up that advantage in the SBs. Outside of House Ballard, did any of our guys even tip 300? 

They listed Richter at 275, but I guarantee you he was playing in the 250 range.

Hull was about 275 himself.

Davis was actually around 315, but they never asked him to pull much.

Wolford was around 295 or so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

They listed Richter at 275, but I guarantee you he was playing in the 250 range.

Hull was about 275 himself.

Davis was actually around 315, but they never asked him to pull much.

Wolford was around 295 or so.

Totally agree! Back when I was a kid collecting their cards, I swear he always looked like the smallest guy on the line in their pics, FWIW.