Ngakoue Watch is officially on!

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Can I make fun if this, or will you go all anal on me too?

WAIT! nevermind..?‍♂️

Lol

Yeah, definitely not my finest TBD moment...

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, jamiezzz said:

Stay the course, and sign Tre White before we pay this guy.  I think he's a good fit, but too expensive.   

I would rather sign a good/elite pass rusher than a good zone CB that can be replaced with a solid FA pickup or draft pick. I'm also not a fan of paying any CB over 60 mil unless it's a Revis type CB and even then I'm not sure I would put that much money into the position.

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather sign a good/elite pass rusher than a good zone CB that can be replaced with a solid FA pickup or draft pick. I'm also not a fan of paying any CB over 60 mil unless it's a Revis type CB and even then I'm not sure I would put that much money into the position.

I'd rather pay the guy who has already been in the building than a guy who has never been in the system.  Thats one of the biggest mistakes teams make, you cant build your team through free agency, you have to supplement.   Thankfully I dont think Beane is going to choose to pay a guy who has never been on his team over one of the cornerstones of his current team. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sur ehow these are mutually eclusive. We just signed an elite pass rusher in free agency in Mario Addison and we have Jerry Hughes who I feel will have a better statistical year with Addison opposite him this year. Both are locked up for a few years and we still have plenty of cap space. Not sure why we couldn;t lock up our elite #1 corner regardless of scheme. 

9 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I'm not sur ehow these are mutually eclusive. We just signed an elite pass rusher in free agency in Mario Addison and we have Jerry Hughes who I feel will have a better statistical year with Addison opposite him this year. Both are locked up for a few years and we still have plenty of cap space. Not sure why we couldn;t lock up our elite #1 corner regardless of scheme. 

Both Hughes and Addison are 32, a age that usually means decline for DE's. Not very often do very good DE's become available, when one does you need to at least look into it. If Whites contract projections are correct their is no way I'm paying a zone CB over 85 mil.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 2

Both Hughes and Addison are 32, a age that usually means decline for DE's. Not very often do very good DE's become available, when one does you need to at least look into it. If Whites contract projections are correct their is no way I'm paying a zone CB over 85 mil.

Tre isn’t a zone CB. 

And the choice isnt between a “good/elite DE and a good zone CB.” The choice is between a DE that only topped 10 sacks once in his career and an all pro CB. 

Finally, and this I dont expect everyone to agree with, an elite CB is more important than an elite DE.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The question is.....does he instantly become our best pass rusher?

If that answer is yes....then I would give up a 2nd

I think the bigger concern here is not the 2nd but a  huge contract that will have to dish out for him IF we intend to keep him beyond this year , unless the FO believes that we could go all the way  THIS YEAR !!!  

Not to mention we have our own guys due for BIG contracts 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Tre isn’t a zone CB. 

And the choice isnt between a “good/elite DE and a good zone CB.” The choice is between a DE that only topped 10 sacks once in his career and an all pro CB. 

Finally, and this I dont expect everyone to agree with, an elite CB is more important than an elite DE.

Totally disagree with the CB is more important than DE. So you would rather have Revis over Bruce Smith or even the 30 all time greats under him. 

Josh Norman played in McD system in Carolina and was a zone CB. Norman was overpaid big time and there are a few other zone CB who have been paid big contracts where the team is now trying to get out of them. 

I’ll take a good safety tandem with solid CB’s with a good pass rush over paying a CB close to 90 mil.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Totally disagree with the CB is more important than DE. So you would rather have Revis over Bruce Smith or even the 30 all time greats under him. 

Josh Norman played in McD system in Carolina and was a zone CB. Norman was overpaid big time and there are a few other zone CB who have been paid big contracts where the team is now trying to get out of them. 

I’ll take a good safety tandem with solid CB’s with a good pass rush over paying a CB close to 90 mil.

In today’s NFL, I would prefer Revis over Smith. And its not even close. A CB can take away half the field. A good DE just means you have to get rid of the ball sooner, which today’s offenses are specifically designed to so. Plus, a GREAT DE will get, what, 16 sacks a year? Thats one sack a game, and its rarely game changing. 

Josh Norman and Tre are the same in the sense that they are both “McDermott’s #1 CB.” That is where the comparisons stop. Tre plays on an island (meaning plays man coverage) in a zone scheme. Norman did not have the same responsibilities. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

CBs tend to be elite for very limited amounts of time before rapidly declining whereas elite DEs can produce at a high level for a decade or more.

That's just it though. Ngakoue THINKS he's elite and wants to get paid like he's elite, but he's truly not. Pass. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

That's just it though. Ngakoue THINKS he's elite and wants to get paid like he's elite, but he's truly not. Pass. 

Draft picks are valuable because it allows you to infuse young, CHEAP talent. This trade would force us to trade the opportunity for cheap talent for a guy that will want a BIG pay  day this or next year. Plus, our salary cap will run out eventually. Its just not a smart play.

38 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

In today’s NFL, I would prefer Revis over Smith. And its not even close. A CB can take away half the field. A good DE just means you have to get rid of the ball sooner, which today’s offenses are specifically designed to so. Plus, a GREAT DE will get, what, 16 sacks a year? Thats one sack a game, and its rarely game changing. 

Josh Norman and Tre are the same in the sense that they are both “McDermott’s #1 CB.” That is where the comparisons stop. Tre plays on an island (meaning plays man coverage) in a zone scheme. Norman did not have the same responsibilities. 

Revis over Smith?

Tom Brady has gotten into your head.
A primary way CBs are great is by a great pass rush. Bruce Smith was an all-time elite player, better at what he did than arguably anyone in the history of the game. Pass rushers are still the most important part of any defense. McDermott has effectively done it with mid-level talent and throws waves of good but not great players at the line.

That said, gimme Tre all day long over any other FA out there.

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Draft picks are valuable because it allows you to infuse young, CHEAP talent. This trade would force us to trade the opportunity for cheap talent for a guy that will want a BIG pay  day this or next year. Plus, our salary cap will run out eventually. Its just not a smart play.

Who needs trophies when you could have salary cap space instead?