Ngakoue Watch is officially on!

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

He's not worth the $$$ he thinks he is. We have a few key guys coming up on the end of their rookie deals we need to re-sign. Dawkins, Tre, and Milano. Josh and Edmunds will be up for new deals before you know it. They also have to take into account the possible financial impact of Covid in all of this. If the salary cap goes down next year then we need flexibility to sign these other guys. It's not smart to give up assets for and then have to pay a DE $18,000,000-$20,000,000 per season (even though I think Ngakoue's looking for even more than that). 

Sure. I understand all the reasons to not sign him, and I dont really think it will happen.

But it isnt as difficult or as dire as you and others are saying either. The only new factor which is an unknown is what will happen with the Cap next year. I dont believe it will go down though.

IMO the time to add high-priced talent to the team is right now, while all those guys are on rookie contracts (especially Josh). Beane can figure out the fallout when the time comes, that's why they pay him the big bucks.

If we DID trade for/sign him, I wouldnt be upset.

• Like (+1) 1

H2O, on that we agree.  I’ve made the same points before.  Murphy and Hughes are gone after this year. I could see a toss up on us keeping Murphy.  He played well at the end of the year, but adding $8 mil. To the $20 mil. we have could be enough for Dawkins and Milano.  White can come either next year, or in two if we exercise the 5th option.  We then could add the 5th and go another year on Allen.

Its very logical.  I’m on the side of cutting Murphy to extend the two mentioned above.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

H2O, on that we agree.  I’ve made the same points before.  Murphy and Hughes are gone after this year. I could see a toss up on us keeping Murphy.  He played well at the end of the year, but adding $8 mil. To the $20 mil. we have could be enough for Dawkins and Milano.  White can come either next year, or in two if we exercise the 5th option.  We then could add the 5th and go another year on Allen.

Its very logical.  I’m on the side of cutting Murphy to extend the two mentioned above.

And Edmunds who was also a 1st round pick. So lots of flexibility there.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand we have some flexibility, but I think that flexibility needs to be reserved for our core group first. Yannick is alright, but he only had 1.5 more sacks last year than Shaq on 300 more snaps. That hardly screams $20,000,000 per season to me. Then throw in the possibility of giving up a 1st as well? That's a pass over here. I don't see him as a difference maker like Von Miller, or Chandler Jones, Khalil Mack, or either Bosa. I don't see him as an addition that would put us over the top in the AFC. I think we have a group collectively right now that is going to surprise some people to be honest. If we get back a 100% healthy Hughes then you throw in Addison, Murphy, Johnson, and Epenesa? I think we could get 30-35 sacks from the DE position alone, possibly more if Hughes is on his game and Addision keeps with his average over the last few seasons. Also, with the guys we have now outside of Murphy, I think our run defense is going to be better on the edges. This isn't even counting the fact that Jefferson has some scheme versatility to play multiple positions along the front. I also think we added more than we lost on the interior of the defense by getting Jefferson, along with Butler, and then we have Harry coming back. I have full confidence in this team to get 50 sacks this year without Yannick. I can't see us paying the price to get him and then keep him.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, H2o said:

I understand we have some flexibility, but I think that flexibility needs to be reserved for our core group first. Yannick is alright, but he only had 1.5 more sacks last year than Shaq on 300 more snaps. That hardly screams $20,000,000 per season to me. Then throw in the possibility of giving up a 1st as well? That's a pass over here. I don't see him as a difference maker like Von Miller, or Chandler Jones, Khalil Mack, or either Bosa. I don't see him as an addition that would put us over the top in the AFC. I think we have a group collectively right now that is going to surprise some people to be honest. If we get back a 100% healthy Hughes then you throw in Addison, Murphy, Johnson, and Epenesa? I think we could get 30-35 sacks from the DE position alone, possibly more if Hughes is on his game and Addision keeps with his average over the last few seasons. Also, with the guys we have now outside of Murphy, I think our run defense is going to be better on the edges. This isn't even counting the fact that Jefferson has some scheme versatility to play multiple positions along the front. I also think we added more than we lost on the interior of the defense by getting Jefferson, along with Butler, and then we have Harry coming back. I have full confidence in this team to get 50 sacks this year without Yannick. I can't see us paying the price to get him and then keep him.

Agreed.  I really hope we don’t give up a high pick and pay this guy 20 mill a year.  He’s good.  Not that good imo.  I’d rather allocate resources elsewhere 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I really hope we don’t give up a high pick and pay this guy 20 mill a year.  He’s good.  Not that good imo.  I’d rather allocate resources elsewhere 

This doesn't feel like it would be a Beane move...

22 minutes ago, eball said:

This doesn't feel like it would be a Beane move...

In fairness, we dont really know what a "BEane move" is at this point of the rebuild.

I agree it isnt a year 1 or 2 Beane move. That doesnt mean it's not a year 3 or 4 Beane move when he has his cap cleared and draft picks in place.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Buff, over the same 4 years, Addison had 39 sacks and Ngokue had 37.  Yanni i is demanding $20 mil./yrs. and would need to give away picks.  He’s not worth it.  Addison, Epenesa, Butler, H. Phillips, Jefferson, added to Hughes, and Star is enough.  We most likely move on from Hughes next year, but Epenesa will have a year under his belt, and guess what position will be our #1 pick next year.

Good thinking. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, LLCoolCy said:

My best guess is Seattle... maybe Dallas?

Seattle seems questionable cause of just spending a boat on Adams. Dallas just signed Everton Griffen but could still make sense. 

Eagles make sense, as do the Patriots and the Jets. 

It’s a Clowney situation though wherein you send a second (in a draft that seems likely to suck) and you get him for one year, can tag him next year or sign him, and if not you let him walk and get a comp pick. It’s a good deal for a whole lot of teams- is included. 

@HappyDays - correct me if I’m wrong, but they can’t negotiate with him now, right? So he could essentially be a rental and comp pick if we’re worried about future $$.

• Like (+1) 1