Ngakoue Watch is officially on!

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The Franchise Tag deadline is looming (July 15). Doubt the Jags get an unconditional  first rounder for him. I think most national analysts have his possible destination wrong. The teams being mentioned as possible trading partners for the Jags (Seahawks, Eagles etc.) just dont have the cap space to fork over 20 mill a year for Ngakoe (and he is worth every penny of that). The only logical team remains the Bills if the Jags are interested in trading him. And if it happens, it will happen in the next few days!

Besides TE, DE is the one position we are a little underwhelming. We are decent but not really dominating. And Ngakoue fits perfectly. Beane has shown he is willing to be aggressive - maybe he can offer Murphy and a 2nd rounder which can turn into a first if Ngakoue delivers at a probowl level. Murphy's best years were with Jay Gruden as the coach in Washington - and Gruden is on the Jags staff now.

The other DE dominos to fall will be Barrett, Clowney, Griffin  and Markus Golden - deadline for Golden deal is July 22. Barrett will sign with Tampa, I dont view Golden as an upgrade over what we have,  Clowney will likely sign after a physical and he and Griffen will likely sign only after the Ngakoue situation is resolved. So I think it is basically Ngakoue or the status quo at DE for us at this point.

Bottomline - something to watch out for in these moribund times. And yes, I know there is a chance there will be no season but I remain optimistic.

Edit: sry I meant Jay Gruden who was the Redskins HC, and is now on the Jags staff, not Kyle Shanahan.

one of my biggest concerns about the bills defensive line situation is some day, and I don’t know when,  Jerry is going to stop being so angry. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

one of my biggest concerns about the bills defensive line situation is some day, and I don’t know when,  Jerry is going to stop being so angry. 

The body will quit before the mind with a guy like him... crossing fingers for a few more good years

7 hours ago, Logic said:

There is about a 1% chance the Bills make a move for Ngakoue. 

Sooo you’re saying there is a chance ?? 

48 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, A.J. Epenesa

That's more than enough firepower.

Agree let’s see what our new DL will look like before we start handing out premium assets and huge contracts 

Go Bills !!!

Get this guy and dump Hughes. This man is a beast and will wreck games. This move would solidify our defense for the next 5 years. Hughes was largely invisible last year and he's got a big, divisive mouth as well. Espenesa and Addison, with the guy who arguably the top sack guy in football. Wow.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, A.J. Epenesa

That's more than enough firepower.

Maybe for this year. But that's about it.

Hughes is gone after this year. Murphy is a UFA. Addison will be 33 before THIS season starts. AJ is unproven.

We'll have to replace Hughes and at least Murphy. Would be nice to have a young, big talent already on the roster for the future. I'd even cut Murphy this year to clear room.

AJ and Ngakoue as set pieces for years to come.

Anytime we have a chance to upgrade the roster you need to seriously look into that.  I would seriously doubt the Jags would go for a murphy and 2nd that turns into a 1st but I have been wrong before.  This guy is one of the best and I would trade for him in a sec as long as the price is not too steep. 

Love the talent, but the pick and money isn’t viable on this roster.  They have 5 guys who are all making good money and are good players.  To bring him in, you have to get rid of 2 and give up a premium pick and rely more on Eppenesa to be ready to role as a rookie.  While I think Murphy is out, you would also have to look at Hughes going too, I don’t see it happening.

Contracts for the D have been set up to work with Allen, the new contracts end with his, so they have the ability to either blow it up and start over if he busts or let a bunch of Vets go to sign him.  With such a huge question mark, it’s tough to go pay big money to another guy, especially when you have to decide on Tre, Dawkins, Milano etc who all will be paid a hefty premium or have to be replaced with pretty high picks. 

20 hours ago, MJS said:

I'd include linebacker in that underwhelming category. We've got some good starters in Edmunds and Milano and then the rest are replaceable depth. And we lost Alexander.

I'm actually happy with our DE signings and the draft pick.

I'm also a little higher on Dawson Knox than many, I guess. He looked promising to me even though he had some drops.

Joe Marino, who hosts Locked On Bills, did a great segment on Knox a couple weeks back. Important to remember that he was a former QB that converted to TE and then didn't get a big target share at Ole Miss with a bad QB and all those other weapons. But what was most interesting was that Marino compared the combine performances of Kittle, Kelce, and Ertz against Knox. Kittle and Knox's testing was very similar which surprised me and Knox's results were significantly better vs. Kelce/Ertz. 

All the tools are there, it's just that the kid is still a project based on his lack of experience at the position. If Knox can clean up the drops and continue to develop his football IQ, we could be looking at a top 5 TE in the league.

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Love the talent, but the pick and money isn’t viable on this roster.  They have 5 guys who are all making good money and are good players.  To bring him in, you have to get rid of 2 and give up a premium pick and rely more on Eppenesa to be ready to role as a rookie.  While I think Murphy is out, you would also have to look at Hughes going too, I don’t see it happening.

Contracts for the D have been set up to work with Allen, the new contracts end with his, so they have the ability to either blow it up and start over if he busts or let a bunch of Vets go to sign him.  With such a huge question mark, it’s tough to go pay big money to another guy, especially when you have to decide on Tre, Dawkins, Milano etc who all will be paid a hefty premium or have to be replaced with pretty high picks. 

Hughes is un-cuttable.

He is a $9.5M hit this year on the roster, but a $11.5M hit if cut. Next year, however, he is $9.5M on the roster and $2M if cut. So bye Jerry. But he's here for 1 more year.

Murphy would most likely go. We save $8M cutting him this year.

That would make our DEs: Hughes, Ngakoue, Addison, Epenesa. With Ngakoue and AJ ready to take the reins next season. Dont need to rely on AJ too much this year still.

We also have the money to sign Ngakoue this year (cutting Murphy) AND still re-sign Dawkins this year and Tre next year. Milano will be a bit of a crap shoot either way, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buff76ers said:

Anytime we have a chance to upgrade the roster you need to seriously look into that.  I would seriously doubt the Jags would go for a murphy and 2nd that turns into a 1st but I have been wrong before.  This guy is one of the best and I would trade for him in a sec as long as the price is not too steep. 

Buff, over the same 4 years, Addison had 39 sacks and Ngokue had 37.  Yanni i is demanding $20 mil./yrs. and would need to give away picks.  He’s not worth it.  Addison, Epenesa, Butler, H. Phillips, Jefferson, added to Hughes, and Star is enough.  We most likely move on from Hughes next year, but Epenesa will have a year under his belt, and guess what position will be our #1 pick next year.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hughes is un-cuttable.

He is a $9.5M hit this year on the roster, but a $11.5M hit if cut. Next year, however, he is $9.5M on the roster and $2M if cut. So bye Jerry. But he's here for 1 more year.

Murphy would most likely go. We save $8M cutting him this year.

That would make our DEs: Hughes, Ngakoue, Addison, Epenesa. With Ngakoue and AJ ready to take the reins next season. Dont need to rely on AJ too much this year still.

We also have the money to sign Ngakoue this year (cutting Murphy) AND still re-sign Dawkins this year and Tre next year. Milano will be a bit of a crap shoot either way, I think.

He's not worth the $$$ he thinks he is. We have a few key guys coming up on the end of their rookie deals we need to re-sign. Dawkins, Tre, and Milano. Josh and Edmunds will be up for new deals before you know it. They also have to take into account the possible financial impact of Covid in all of this. If the salary cap goes down next year then we need flexibility to sign these other guys. It's not smart to give up assets for and then have to pay a DE $18,000,000-$20,000,000 per season (even though I think Ngakoue's looking for even more than that). 

• Like (+1) 1