Ngakoue Watch is officially on!

The Franchise Tag deadline is looming (July 15). Doubt the Jags get an unconditional  first rounder for him. I think most national analysts have his possible destination wrong. The teams being mentioned as possible trading partners for the Jags (Seahawks, Eagles etc.) just dont have the cap space to fork over 20 mill a year for Ngakoe (and he is worth every penny of that). The only logical team remains the Bills if the Jags are interested in trading him. And if it happens, it will happen in the next few days!

Besides TE, DE is the one position we are a little underwhelming. We are decent but not really dominating. And Ngakoue fits perfectly. Beane has shown he is willing to be aggressive - maybe he can offer Murphy and a 2nd rounder which can turn into a first if Ngakoue delivers at a probowl level. Murphy's best years were with Jay Gruden as the coach in Washington - and Gruden is on the Jags staff now.

The other DE dominos to fall will be Barrett, Clowney, Griffin  and Markus Golden - deadline for Golden deal is July 22. Barrett will sign with Tampa, I dont view Golden as an upgrade over what we have,  Clowney will likely sign after a physical and he and Griffen will likely sign only after the Ngakoue situation is resolved. So I think it is basically Ngakoue or the status quo at DE for us at this point.

Bottomline - something to watch out for in these moribund times. And yes, I know there is a chance there will be no season but I remain optimistic.

Edit: sry I meant Jay Gruden who was the Redskins HC, and is now on the Jags staff, not Kyle Shanahan.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

God I hope not,  give the guys the team drafted a chance before writing them off.  Been stated in a number of articles, Knox needs to be on the field as much as possible.  This type of knee jerk move goes against that!

OK, yeah had the wrong name, wrong position, wrong current team, but other than that was exactly correct.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

Its always entertaining to watch/read of the various lines of thought on “available” players. I think the Bills will hold tight, but it’s not like I really know Beane and McDermotts intent. 

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

God I hope not,  give the guys the team drafted a chance before writing them off.  Been stated in a number of articles, Knox needs to be on the field as much as possible.  This type of knee jerk move goes against that!

You are thinking of Njoku the TE. The poster is talking about Ngakoue the DE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I know you have the player wrong but I agree with the premise. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Besides TE, DE is the one position we are a little underwhelming. We are decent but not really dominating. And Ngakoue fits perfectly. Beane has shown he is willing to be aggressive - maybe he can offer Murphy and a 2nd rounder which can turn into a first if Ngakoue delivers at a probowl level. Murphy's best years were with Kyle Shanahan as the coach in Washington - and Shanahan is on the Jags staff now.

I'd include linebacker in that underwhelming category. We've got some good starters in Edmunds and Milano and then the rest are replaceable depth. And we lost Alexander.

I'm actually happy with our DE signings and the draft pick.

I'm also a little higher on Dawson Knox than many, I guess. He looked promising to me even though he had some drops.

24 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Besides TE, DE is the one position we are a little underwhelming. We are decent but not really dominating. And Ngakoue fits perfectly. Beane has shown he is willing to be aggressive - maybe he can offer Murphy and a 2nd rounder which can turn into a first if Ngakoue delivers at a probowl level. Murphy's best years were with Kyle Shanahan as the coach in Washington - and Shanahan is on the Jags staff now.

1. Shanahan was the OC, Murphy is a DE, I doubt there is any familiarity between the two beyond facial recognition.

2. Shanahan left Washington after the 2013 season, and Murphy was drafted that next spring, so there is even more unfamiliarity.

3. Additionally, Shanahan is the 49ers head coach, not working in Jacksonville. 

Soooooo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

1. Shanahan was the OC, Murphy is a DE, I doubt there is any familiarity between the two beyond facial recognition.

2. Shanahan left Washington after the 2013 season, and Murphy was drafted that next spring, so there is even more unfamiliarity.

Soooooo

THANK YOU.. I read his whole silly jibberish and this was what caught my eye out of everything. 

OP, Mario Addison has had better numbers than yannick and is a fraction of the cost. He’s older but he’s proven (not just one season on a dominant defense) 
Stop “name chasing” and look at who is on the team. We’re not signing or trading for no 20 million a year guys. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 6

With the cap going down by somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30%, I seriously doubt it.  We already brought in at a better price, Jefferson, Butler, and Addison, and H. Phillips is back on the field.  If we were to give up draft picks which we need as cheap labor, on top of that $20 mil. In costs.  We need to keep that $20 mil. In cap space to extend Dawkins and Milano.  Then we have to save for T.White in two years, and Allen in 3 (yes I’m assuming we take the 5th year option on both of the players).  Ngokue is a luxury and the current management worked for three years to get us out of bad contracts.  We’re not going backwards now.  We already have the most talented roster I’ve seen in the Bills in 20+ years.

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd include linebacker in that underwhelming category. We've got some good starters in Edmunds and Milano and then the rest are replaceable depth. And we lost Alexander.

I'm actually happy with our DE signings and the draft pick.

I'm also a little higher on Dawson Knox than many, I guess. He looked promising to me even though he had some drops.

Running a base nickel, how many LBS do you need? Having two stud up and comers is underwhelming? Maybe the lack of depth is something, but LB is far from a weakness on this team.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

Soooooo

my bad. I meant Jay Gruden

I love Knox and I'm fine with what they have at TE.

DE and OLB are still problem areas.  I stated that before the draft and free agency.  They added run stuffing quality linemen in free agency and the draft.  I have no issue with the guys they signed.  They veterans should be stout at the point of attack and should play mistake free football while letting the rookie learn.

They lack explosiveness though.  I would have traded up for Josh Allen instead of sitting tight for Oliver  but past is pas/.  Hughes is aging and though he may be capable with a better complement he is not the long term answer.  They need a dynamic playmaker on the outside.  Is that Ngakoue? Is it that Clowney or has that shipped sailed to Vegas?  If they play football this yer, the Bills should be all in and not wait until next year to get a dynamic OLB/EDGE/DE whatever you want to call it.