Where did Your Ancestors Originate?

4 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

I'm a descendent of a guy named Edward Fuller who came to America on the Mayflower with his wife and son.  He was one of the signatories of the Mayflower Compact.

https://www.history.com/topics/colonial-america/mayflower-compact

Cool.  I found a site that traced my Grandfather's family.  And I went back and back and back to William Bassett.  I was "dude??  You couldn't make the Mayflower?  What, were you doing your taxes that day??"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bassett_(d._1667)

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

It's also such a white conversation.

Have any of you guys ever asked any of your black friends this question? 

Seriously dude.  We'd have to have black friends to begin with to ask them.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

So why does it bother you now if this is old hat so to speak for you?  Not a white "thing" as I have had Asian friends while in college that includes people from India, China, and Japan among the countries that make up Asia who were interested in the background of others.  Have you asked your Asian friends about their backgrounds?  

I worked with a Japanese woman a number of years ago. We became great friends.  I really knew how to push her buttons.  "You Koreans are all alike."   "I'm NOT KOREAN!!   I'M JAPANESE!!!" 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I worked with a Japanese woman a number of years ago. We became great friends.  I really knew how to push her buttons.  "You Koreans are all alike."   "I'm NOT KOREAN!!   I'M JAPANESE!!!" 

Works great with Filipinas, too! ?

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

There was a Japanese girl at college that I had a romantic interest in but it was never realized.  The guy from China had a really interesting story in that he came to Cornell via the PRC.  Not sure how all that came to be given it was the 1980's and just talking to him you could tell that he was anything but anxious to go back.  To my knowledge he never went back and the FBI was sent to campus to determine his whereabouts after his due date to go back came and went.  I knew a couple of Korean gentlemen from a business that I worked for that they patronized.  Japanese American girl in my high school whose father was in contract with a Rochester, NY company as an analyst.  

Edited by RochesterRob

57 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:
1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Works great with Filipinas, too! ?

Yup! When I was stationed on Okinawa many moons ago it seemed all the orientals hated each other. Korean, Japanese, Filipinos, and Chinese.  I think most of that went back to WWII and before but if there could be racism within a race that would have been proof!

15 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Yup! When I was stationed on Okinawa many moons ago it seemed all the orientals hated each other. Korean, Japanese, Filipinos, and Chinese.  I think most of that went back to WWII and before but if there could be racism within a race that would have been proof!

Asians are the worst. She wouldn’t just get mad when I called her Korean. She was livid.  And when we hired a Korean woman?  Man oh man. The looks they’d give each other. ?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

My next door neighbors are from Ghana and came to the U.S. about 20 years ago via England.  They are raising a family.  Great family.  One of my employees is from Senegal, here about 25 years also raising a family.  I commonly refer to him as the nicest and most polite person I have ever known.  He's a special guy in that regard.  He's also got some greatness in his family, Desagan Diop who played in the NBA is his cousin.  Another neighbor and friend is from Nigeria, also raising a family.  Others have their lineage going back at least several generations in the U.S. mostly from Northeast or Midwest.  A contractor that is working with us short term told me today he didn't know his family's background as the grandparents passed away before he was born and his parents when he was younger so he did not know other than his parents are from the local area. The most interesting of my friends background-wise (a woman) has family from the Canary Islands.  She's in the same industry professionally and she once took me on a tour of O.J.'s home in Brentwood and past Nicole Brown's condo about a year or so after she was murdered.  Parts still blocked off then.  We then went to Mezzaluna for dinner.  I know sounds tacky as hell.  Sad but also interesting. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

My father’s parents came from Poland. My mother has Irish roots.

5 hours ago, Motorin' said:

You’re just pissed because Ringlin Brothers and Barnum and Bailey came back on your Ancestory.com profile.

It’s OK. Clowns lives matter.

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

My next door neighbors are from Ghana and came to the U.S. about 20 years ago via England.  They are raising a family.  Great family.  One of my employees is from Senegal, here about 25 years also raising a family.  I commonly refer to him as the nicest and most polite person I have ever known.  He's a special guy in that regard.  He's also got some greatness in his family, Desagan Diop who played in the NBA is his cousin.  Another neighbor and friend is from Nigeria, also raising a family.  Others have their lineage going back at least several generations in the U.S. mostly from Northeast or Midwest.  A contractor that is working with us short term told me today he didn't know his family's background as the grandparents passed away before he was born and his parents when he was younger so he did not know other than his parents are from the local area. The most interesting of my friends background-wise (a woman) has family from the Canary Islands.  She's in the same industry professionally and she once took me on a tour of O.J.'s home in Brentwood and past Nicole Brown's condo about a year or so after she was murdered.  Parts still blocked off.  We then went to Mezzaluna for dinner.  I know sounds tacky as hell.  Sad but also interesting. 

Impossible!   Every black citizen can trace their lineage back to slaves and we need to provide reparations for them all.  It’s true. I read it on the internet. 

My mother was born in Tripoli, Libya; however, her parents had relocated there from Italy. My grandparents had a restaurant in the Italian section until they lost the restaurant and were forced to leave in the mid 1960s. My mother and father met while my father was stationed there in 1956. They married and then he brought her here. She became a U.S. citizen in 1966. All my relatives on my mother's side (that I know or communicate with) live in Italy.

My great grandparents on my father's maternal side emigrated from Florence, Italy. From what I can tell, most of the remainder of families on my father's side came from throughout Europe in the mid 1800s to early 1900s.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

I'm a descendent of a guy named Edward Fuller who came to America on the Mayflower with his wife and son.  He was one of the signatories of the Mayflower Compact. In between him and my now living family there are a variety of relatives that came from England, Germany, Ireland and others places. 

And before any of you kooks call me a racist, I also have family from WV that fought for the North in the civil war.

https://www.history.com/topics/colonial-america/mayflower-compact

My son is a Mayflower descendant, too! Different line (I'd say, but they are the last direct line from the guy, soooo).   Once they got to NYS they never moved out of here. It was interesting researching it. The Mayflower Society has the first five generations, and then you are on your own to connect the dots.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

There was a Japanese girl at college that I had a romantic interest in but it was never realized. 

I always had a bit of a fetish for Asian girls and British accents turn me on.  In the late 90's I was in London having lunch at a pub and at the table behind me was an Asian woman speaking and she had a British accent.  I could barely contain myself.   Now I just watch Austin Powers (the original) over and over, the scenes with Liz Hurley.  Next best thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

Both side came from around Posnan, Poland.  Mother's father came over around 1910/ Rest, i don't know when.

Oh God. 

I hope we are not related ?

54 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

My mother was born in Tripoli, Libya; however, her parents had relocated there from Italy. My grandparents had a restaurant in the Italian section until they lost the restaurant and were forced to leave in the mid 1960s. My mother and father met while my father was stationed there in 1956. They married and then he brought her here. She became a U.S. citizen in 1966. All my relatives on my mother's side (that I know or communicate with) live in Italy.

My great grandparents on my father's maternal side emigrated from Florence, Italy. From what I can tell, most of the remainder of families on my father's side came from throughout Europe in the mid 1800s to early 1900s.

Do you relatives from Florence have red hair? A lot of people from there do. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Do you relatives from Florence have red hair? A lot of people from there do. 

I didn't know that. None of my relatives from that line (at least the ones I know) have red hair. Many of my mother's family is from FLorence as well, but I haven't met anyone with red hair.

My dads side is from Germany, Posen, so I am told. Grandfather came over around 120 years ago, joined the army at 16--again, so I am told--and was off to the Philippines and the Boxer Rebellion. I guess that really screwed him up.He went back for WW1.  My Grandmother, who I never met, left him but he kept following her and kept finding her because of my dad being in school, so she just left dad in a playground and was never heard from again...

Mom's side of the family is, we think, German. My aunt traced the family back to early Virginia and followed it as it migrated through the years into western Virginia, to Kentucky and Ohio. So I think it's safe to say I'm part Hill Billy. Dad got a great job in Buffalo and mom hates the city but I love it. North Buffalo is a great place to live, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

My dads side is from Germany, Posen, so I am told. Grandfather came over around 120 years ago, joined the army at 16--again, so I am told--and was off to the Philippines and the Boxer Rebellion. I guess that really screwed him up.He went back for WW1.  My Grandmother, who I never met, left him but he kept following her and kept finding her because of my dad being in school, so she just left dad in a playground and was never heard from again...

Mom's side of the family is, we think, German. My aunt traced the family back to early Virginia and followed it as it migrated through the years into western Virginia, to Kentucky and Ohio. So I think it's safe to say I'm part Hill Billy. Dad got a great job in Buffalo and mom hates the city but I love it. North Buffalo is a great place to live, IMO. 

So you're not a chinese bot? Lol, I kid.

Dad's side unknown. He was orphaned as a child. My mom's are German. Cane over in 1939. They saw the writing on the wall. 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh God. 

I hope we are not related ?

I doubt it.  A german woman told me my last name sounded Czech. Could be as Poznan is near the Czech border and  Germany owned  the area until WW1 ended.

My mother's father could sense that the winds of war were brewing around 1910 and he was prime cannon fodder age ( born in1888) so he decided to get out of there before the German army drafted him.Came her only knowing a few English words. Had to learn English by talking to people  and reading the  paper (radio and talking movies weren't invented yet) and there were no ESL classes. Did well enough to raise a family of 9 kids while working at Buffalo Forge as a tinsmith.

• Like (+1) 4