ESPN+: Top 10 QBs according to league personnel

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

He has also had the best offensive line in football, the best RB in football, one of the best WRs joined their team 2 seasons ago and has only made the playoffs twice in 4 years in a horrific division (especially last season) and is only 1-2 in the playoffs.  I'm sorry, that's not good enough for me and if that is where Josh is heading I'm going to be disappointed.

If Josh Allen throws for nearly 5,000 yards and accounts for 33 tds, you will disappointed???

good to know where the bar is set for Allen I guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

I have Ryan in my top 10 and Wentz just outside looking in. Otherwise I agree pretty much exactly. Brady might be spot or two too high. I would probably put Ryan right in at #7 bump Brady down to #8 and leave Dak and Stafford where they are. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Josh Allen throws for nearly 5,000 yards and accounts for 33 tds, you will disappointed???

good to know where the bar is set for Allen I guess.

Of course he won't. Dak plays for the Cowboys though. So we hate on him and change the parameters each year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

JA, with no votes at all, wasn't even in the top half of NFL starting quarterbacks.  It's good to know, though, that games aren't played in the imaginations of a motley assembly of fifty or so NFL employees.   

The voters included NFL scouts.  Scouts are experts in college football.  I wonder how well they keep up with the development of professional players.

The voters also include NFL players.  So I wonder how much does a special teamer from the Saints know about AFCE quarterbacks.  

The voters also include NFL execs.  And here I wonder how much the VP of Communications in Seattle knows about Josh Allen.  

Just because a guy has a job in the NFL doesn't mean he has an expert, comprehensive knowledge of all the players and can accurately project their play in 2020.  

And the opposite of that POV is why some guys go to the Pro Bowl year after year.

As Marv used to say, "get a reputation as an early riser and you can sleep in til noon every day..."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

JA, with no votes at all, wasn't even in the top half of NFL starting quarterbacks.  It's good to know, though, that games aren't played in the imaginations of a motley assembly of fifty or so NFL employees.   

The voters included NFL scouts.  Scouts are experts in college football.  I wonder how well they keep up with the development of professional players.

The voters also include NFL players.  So I wonder how much does a special teamer from the Saints know about AFCE quarterbacks.  

The voters also include NFL execs.  And here I wonder how much the VP of Communications in Seattle knows about Josh Allen.  

Just because a guy has a job in the NFL doesn't mean he has an expert, comprehensive knowledge of all the players and can accurately project their play in 2020.  

I am a little surprised he got no votes. But I am not at all surprised he is not in the top 10. He simply doesn't deserve to be there. But he could be in that one vote group with Tanny and Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am a little surprised he got no votes. But I am not at all surprised he is not in the top 10. He simply doesn't deserve to be there. But he could be in that one vote group with Tanny and Darnold. 

Tanny is a fraud.  Good for him for getting paid though.

There's nothing wrong with this list.  When I critique what some folks say about Allen it is not because they aren't ranking him highly enough right now...it's because they are presuming he won't continue to get better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29394204/ranking-nfl-top-10-qbs-2020-follows-patrick-mahomes

Edit: To be clear, they're ranking QBs as they expect them to be in 2020. Not trying to project them 5 years out or anything like that (but in the case of Darnold for example, the guy that voted for him said that he expects him to take a leap this year).

The Top 10:

1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Russell Wilson
  3. Aaron Rodgers
  4. Deshaun Watson
  5. Drew Brees
  6. Lamar Jackson
  7. Tom Brady
  8. Carson Wentz
  9. Dak Prescott
  10. Matt Stafford

Also receiving votes:

• Matt Ryan - 14 votes out of 50 voters
  • Ben Roethlisberger - 8 votes
  • Kyler Murray - 5 votes
  • Kirk Cousins - 2 votes
  • Jimmy Garoppolo - 2 votes
  • Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, Jared Goff, Sam Darnold - 1 vote each

Not a big Watson fan.  He runs around a lot.  But we had him dead to rights in both recent Bills-Texans games and pretty much gave the game away because of poor offense in both games, and a horrible defensive call on 4th and 18 in the playoff game.  He may be top 10, but just barely.  I am not sure he is any better then Ryan Tannehill.  Athletic ability is all fine and good.  But that's not what makes a great QB.  Putting Brees Lamar and Brady behind him is laughable.  And no way Wentz is in my top 10.  I wouldn't put him top 15.  Don't like his game at all.  And he is a frikin goonie Ginger on top of it all w acne on his neck.  Ugh!!  Murray Cousins Big Ben and Matty Ice are all better then Wentz.  Eagles get way too much love in the media.  

From the voice of the one and only Paup!!  Now back to work.  Have to make a living.  Can not wait for football to get here.  

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah, what do NFL scouts, players, and execs know about football?  If they’re so smart, why don’t they post on message boards?

Edited by Billl
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, berg1029 said:

I don't object to JA being left off the list.  I'm fine with him not receiving votes, because he isn't there yet.  Look at the other guys receiving votes... he just isn't on there level YET.

Allen isn't on Sam Darnold's level yet???

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

List seems pretty fair to me. Hopefully Josh can be on that list one day but right now he doesn't deserve it.

Does Darnold?

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Yeah, what do NFL scouts, players, and execs know about football?  If they’re so smart, why don’t they post on message boards?

This is a fair point.  The other criticisms I received are too, as a matter of fact.  

But I'm still unimpressed by this poll.  Granted fifty guys working in the NFL can probably grade NFL players better than 50 random fans but I still think ESPN's anonymous panel of judges is flawed.  

ESPN said they asked more than "50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players" to rank players.   An "executive" could be a GM or Director of Pro Personnel.  Someone like that would be an expert.  But an executive could be the VP of HR or IT.   We don't know what execs ESPN talked to.  

Even coaches may not be great overall evaluators of NFL talent.   How much does the Assistant RB Coach in San Francisco study AFC quarterbacks?

I don't necessarily trust ESPN to put together a group of fifty fully qualified personnel experts.  I think they probably got whatever fifty NFL-connected people they could convince to do the poll.  

We all know JA took a big step forward from Year 1 to Year 2.  If he takes a similar step forward again this year, he'll be a Top 10 or 15 QB.  If he doesn't step up, we're in trouble.  No one - certainly not a nameless ESPN panel of random NFL employees - knows whether or not JA will improve this year or by how much.  All we can do is hope for the best.  

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Allen isn't on Sam Darnold's level yet???

8 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Arguably, some of those that received votes as being in the top 10 probably shouldn't have.  I mean.. Sam Darnold and Tannehill, really?

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

He has also had the best offensive line in football, the best RB in football, one of the best WRs joined their team 2 seasons ago and has only made the playoffs twice in 4 years in a horrific division (especially last season) and is only 1-2 in the playoffs.  I'm sorry, that's not good enough for me and if that is where Josh is heading I'm going to be disappointed.

He also had Jason Garrett as his HC. 

The Cowboys should operate through Zeke, not bank on Dak to carry them to glory.

Watson ahead of Brees. 

LOL

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Wait...what??  LOL. Cooper??

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watson ahead of Brees. 

LOL

Wait...what??  LOL. Cooper??

Uh...yeah.  3 of 4 years over 1,000 yards.  And he even had David Carr as his QB for 2.5 of those years.  Yeah, I'd say he's a top tier WR.