Jay Glazer likes Allen

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Glazer is right. There are so many Bills fans that bash Allen with every errant throw. They Are so hung up on pre draft narratives and completely ignore his improvements across the board. The narrative has become totally embarrassing. 

I think the narrative from Bills fans, taken as a whole (with detractors, and supporters) has been reasonable.

Personally, I would consider myself a staunch supporter-- I love the guy. But, I have to admit that his oft-sited improvements from year onto year two often ignore the larger picture. Yes, his numbers improved dramatically. But, compare the O-lines, and receiving core from those two seasons, and I dare say that even Peterman would have seen marked improvement between those two situations.

To my mind, the most relevant improvements Allen made in his second season was his decision making ability, and the speed at which he was able to process information. That will be the factor that brings him up to franchise-level QB, IMO. The cannon arm, athleticism, and even accuracy were already there.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s a narrative to think Allen is inconsistent? Because he is.

I’m not shocked by this response from you. Allen has improved and is our guy. That’s what Glazer was addressing. He said nothing about being consistent or not. Good grief...

• Like (+1) 1

Glazer’s narrative would be held much more widely if Duke Williams comes down with that catch in the end zone, John Brown performs a routine toe-tap on the sideline or any one of about five guys make a block on the one defender during Allen’s QB keeper in the Texans Playoff Game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think the narrative from Bills fans, taken as a whole (with detractors, and supporters) has been reasonable.

Personally, I would consider myself a staunch supporter-- I love the guy. But, I have to admit that his oft-sited improvements from year onto year two often ignore the larger picture. Yes, his numbers improved dramatically. But, compare the O-lines, and receiving core from those two seasons, and I dare say that even Peterman would have seen marked improvement between those two situations.

To my mind, the most relevant improvements Allen made in his second season was his decision making ability, and the speed at which he was able to process information. That will be the factor that brings him up to franchise-level QB, IMO. The cannon arm, athleticism, and even accuracy were already there.

Again...Glazer was talking about Allen improving and us being happy with what we have. Nobody is talking about anything else. 

My point is this...the draft “gurus” went out of their way to bash the kid before the draft and many of you have followed suit and fail to see the improvements across the board. Joe Marino said on a podcast that those who can’t see the improvements just don’t want to see them. It’s that simple. He’s here to stay unless he fails miserably this season, which would be a huge shock considering his dedication to his craft. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Glazer’s narrative would be held much more widely if Duke Williams comes down with that catch in the end zone, John Brown performs a routine toe-tap on the sideline or any one of about five guys make a block on the one defender during Allen’s QB keeper in the Texans Playoff Game. 

Well said. Allen did all he could do. Sure he had some boneheaded plays but he put us in a spot to tie the game in regulation and also to win in OT. 

Edited by whorlnut

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

His comments in his weekly mailbag reacting to a question.  Was kind of a surprise to hear that from him being more of an NFC guy with Fox, they often show the highlights of bad plays, fumbles, etc than the good ones.

Josh Allen is one of the top rising stars at that position. The dude has an absolute cannon. He can move. He’s gotten better and better. He is a stud. If you’re a Bills fan, I need you to make a decision right now, and that decision is to change your mind on Allen and start appreciating him.

I hope he is right,  hard to deny the improvement and this season is critical .  The Bills have improved the talent around him and now Josh needs to make the next step which is more mental than physical.  He needs to accept bad plays and avoid turnovers,  punting is not a bad thing and to be fair i believe we saw improvement in this area last season. 

End of the day we're all in this together,  so many suffering years since Kelly retired and i have my fingers crossed with Allen that he has "it" 

12 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Again...Glazer was talking about Allen improving and us being happy with what we have. Nobody is talking about anything else. 

My point is this...the draft “gurus” went out of their way to bash the kid before the draft and many of you have followed suit and fail to see the improvements across the board. Joe Marino said on a podcast that those who can’t see the improvements just don’t want to see them. It’s that simple. He’s here to stay unless he fails miserably this season, which would be a huge shock considering his dedication to his craft. 

Well said. Allen did all he could do. Sure he had some boneheaded plays but he put us in a spot to tie the game in regulation and also to win in OT. 

I have no idea why you are including me with people who "bash" Allen. I'm huge fan. I just bought my 10-year-old a #17 jersey for his birthday. I have never bashed him, and I don't imagine I ever will.

But, I wasn't responding to what Glazer said. I was responding to what you wrote. To that point, what I remember from the pre-draft narratives from the "draft gurus", almost universally, was that he was an amazing athlete, with a cannon arm, but that he was raw as a QB, and would need time to ride the pine. That seemed like a fair enough assessment, at the time. Of course, he didn't get that chance, and instead was saddled with Late Nate Peterman as the initial starter, Derek Anderson as an excuse for a "vet presence," an O-line that was bottom three in the league, and IMO the worst receiver corp in the league. There's no point in denying that Allen was playing for a much better offense in year two. 

And, I still maintain that his accuracy, and athleticism were already there in 2018, and that his biggest improvements came from his situational awareness--  his decision making ability, his pocket presence, and the speed at which he was able to process information. How on Earth is that a "bash" on Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

There’s a fine line between bashing and cautious optimism. I don’t think there are as many bashers as what’s being said. I’m always gonna root for Allen to show improvement, and I acknowledge his progress from year one to year two. But he’s gonna have to take a larger step this year given how tough the schedule is

On 7/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He was replying to a Bills fan who was basically implying the Bills made a huge mistake in not signing Cam or Winston.  So that was his response.

Ah. got it.  Maybe i should've understood the situation out before i made a dumb comment.

Edited by ProcessYaDigg
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

Ah. got it.  Maybe i should've understood the situation out before i made a dumb comment.

And I probably could have put the original question in there too, but I thought we're supposed to keep minimal the amount of material we steal  I mean quote from other sources

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2020 at 2:57 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I'd say you are lacking in football knowledge but that would imply Bills were lacking in football knowledge when they cut "veteran" and made P5t5rman starting QB.  Let us just say that he is fool's gold.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:57 AM, Rocky Landing said:

People forget he only played 2 years of college football. His first 2 years in the NFL was like his Jr. & Senior years in college. Still learning and developing. He was always going to take 3 full years to acclimate. I see Josh with adding Diggs/Moss throwing 28 tds and rushing for 6 tds. Maybe 8-9 ints. This will be his rookie season.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I'd say you are lacking in football knowledge but that would imply Bills were lacking in football knowledge when they cut "veteran" and made P5t5rman starting QB.  Let us just say that he is fool's gold.

Believe me, I am no fan of Peterman, and I only use his name rhetorically. I was at that Chargers game when he played historically bad football, and the five picks he threw in the first half only tell half the story. How he managed to extend his football career beyond that season is a true head shaker.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

People forget he only played 2 years of college football. His first 2 years in the NFL was like his Jr. & Senior years in college. Still learning and developing. He was always going to take 3 full years to acclimate. I see Josh with adding Diggs/Moss throwing 28 tds and rushing for 6 tds. Maybe 8-9 ints. This will be his rookie season.

Another solid post as usual, man.

Here’s the thing...Allen came from an ultra small, rural high school that lacked any star power and decent coaching. He then went to a junior college where once again he didn’t have any elite talent around him. His first year at Wyoming had some decent talent and he did well, but again, it was no USC, Bama, Clemson, etc.

It can be argued that he never really had a chance to be around comparable talent or elite coaching until he reached the sport’s pinnacle in the NFL. Most qbs come from blue blood high school and college programs and have elite coaching during those years. Allen had neither. And to add to this, his first year in the NFL he had one of the worst lines and skill groups in the league, all while being “taught” by a wide receivers coach. What a joke. 

Allen is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of. The fact that some people can’t see that or want to accept it is mind boggling. 

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1