NFL proposal to NFLPA

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even in those states your are referring to, governors are allowing MLB to play. Florida, awash in COVID, is allowing the NBA bubble to go forward. The worst hit states are clearly governed by those least likely to cancel sports.

If sports are a no go, based on we see happening right now, it won’t be governors but the leagues themselves who will decide.

It may be so in the case of states with shoddy governance, such as Florida where the governor just does not care how many people get sick or die from this virus.

Oh and the beer was nice and cold on a hot afternoon, ?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has any governor in any state stated that any pro teams/leagues cannot play in their states?  They've had plenty of time to comment, as all leagues have been planning to start.  MLB is already training.  NYS has a plan---no fans in the stadium.

Not yet......stay tuned Batman. The train hasn’t even left the station yet. 

As the outbreak continues, it’s likely more and more states will follow suit with NYS and have no fans.  I still contend there will be games.  Why?  There is just too much $ involved.

Thomas sitting out is silly.  If he wanted to sit out because he’s worried about his family’s health and safety, I can understand it, but still getting $, just delayed by 35% is better than getting nothing.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Sure it has.  MLB camps have begun.

I don’t consider camp to be the “train” and this a NFL board. MLB, EPL, NBA those aren’t exactly apples to apples. 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:38 PM, MJS said:

There's a large gap between the elite players who get paid mega millions (like Michael Thomas) and the depth players who are doing everything they can to hang on in the league and get another contract with a team.

The majority of players would want to play however possible, I think. But I'm not sure the power resides with them. It's probably the elites with the mega millions calling the shots.

If it comes to a vote...those "elites " dont have a majority . If they sit out a season,they dont get paid. Some players are on their last contract and might consider that reduced (escrow) salary better than nothing. If the NFL goes ahead but some stars sit out..what level of play will we see? What if one team has ALL its players show up and other teams are hampered by stars sitting out. NFL will be "ALL players or none" to ensure parity?

Edited by Georgie

4 hours ago, iinii said:

I don’t consider camp to be the “train” and this a NFL board. MLB, EPL, NBA those aren’t exactly apples to apples. 

The topic is who is in control of whether games are played (any sport):  the league or the state government.  I've have pointed out that MLB is starting and no governor has stopped them, so clearly the train (pro sports starting up) has left the station.

And governors aren't going to pick which sports can start over others, so it IS exactly apples to apples.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The topic is who is in control of whether games are played (any sport):  the league or the state government.  I've have pointed out that MLB is starting and no governor has stopped them, so clearly the train (pro sports starting up) has left the station.

And governors aren't going to pick which sports can start over others, so it IS exactly apples to apples.

Have any games been played, no. Camp is the garage, no trains have left the station. I checked the website. The only thing baseball and football have in common is they are sports. So they are both fruits but they are not both apples. 

32 minutes ago, iinii said:

Have any games been played, no. Camp is the garage, no trains have left the station. I checked the website. The only thing baseball and football have in common is they are sports. So they are both fruits but they are not both apples. 

COVID cases are blowing up far and wide, and yet no Governor has said anything about stopping pro sports from happening.  This would be the time to pull the plug. They can dictate some of the circumstances under which they can play (no fans for instance), but they will let the leagues decide.

Do you think any governor would prohibit only the NFL from going forward because it's "different" from MLB? Why?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

COVID cases are blowing up far and wide, and yet no Governor has said anything about stopping pro sports from happening.  This would be the time to pull the plug. They can dictate some of the circumstances under which they can play (no fans for instance), but they will let the leagues decide.

Do you think any governor would prohibit only the NFL from going forward because it's "different" from MLB? Why?

No.I don’t expect any governor to be the first or even the second for that matter. They are having enough trouble grappling with masks.  Most governors have shown they are mostly concerned with tax revenue. Baseball, Football, Basketball revenue are all welcome to state coffers. It won’t be the governors that stop the game. COVID will decide that. And none of that has anything to with my assertion that all of the talk about how this going to play out is a bit premature since they have yet to play a single game. 

On 7/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Has any governor in any state stated that any pro teams/leagues cannot play in their states?  

On 7/10/2020 at 2:27 AM, iinii said:

Not yet..... 

Anyway. Now you agree that it won't be government, but the leagues themselves, based on the safety due to COVID status, that stop the games.

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That don't confront me as long as I get my money next Friday.  :flirt:

Now next Friday come you didn't have the rent...and out the door you went.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Volume of people and proximity being grossly different 

I'd expect to see the NFL wait to see what happens with MLB.

If MLB teams are seriously affected by the Virus the NFL would likely back out of having a season.

I could see a covid test come back negative to a MLB umpire that should've come back positive. The umpire calls balls and strikes and infects both Catchers and every batter in the game ... Steeeerike 3 could have a whole new meaning.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Volume of people and proximity being grossly different 

Governors aren't going to split that hair.  No elected official will ever say: "Baseball?, Sure, go ahead.  NFL?  Nope."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Governors aren't going to split that hair.  No elected official will ever say: "Baseball?, Sure, go ahead.  NFL?  Nope."

I’d likewise be surprised but not sure watching a goal line run vs an rbi double in the gap would lend itself to the term splitting hairs here. They are drawing lines in between all kinds of gatherings that are much more similar to each other than these. 

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d likewise be surprised but not sure watching a goal line run vs an rbi double in the gap would lend itself to the term splitting hairs here. They are drawing lines in between all kinds of gatherings that are much more similar to each other than these. 

The South has shown there is nothing that will prompt them to stop events such as sports.  But even in NYS, Cuomo has said sure, just no fans.  

They won't split any hairs between such activities no matter their  diametrical differences in orders of magnitude.  They aren’t considering the intimacy of the various sports—at all.  It’s  political suicide.  Sports governing bodies, solely,  are deciding whether there are sports.

Edited by Mr. WEO