NFL proposal to NFLPA

https://www.nfl.com/news/nflpa-tells-board-league-has-proposed-35-player-salary-escrow

Sorry if posted elsewhere. 

I was reading another article on how the best thing the NFL had months ago was time. They plodded along pushing forth the draft, keeping things as normal as possible 

for as long as they could go. But now time is not really on their side with camp just a few weeks away. They don't seem to have a clear cut policy on what will happens with fans and 

of course the lost revenue is going to hurt the pockets.

With the nature of the sport, I am not sure the players will ever agree to anything that. Michael Thomas already tweeted how players would rather sit out..

They have less than 2 months to figure this all out..seems like a tall task. Let's see what the nfl machine comes up with. 

Didn’t they all just have a big group hug with the new collective bargaining agreement? 

I guess a pandemic changes everything..

I’m only half kidding. But I’m beginning to seriously believe football ain’t gonna happen this year -on ANY level.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Didn’t they all just have a big group hug with the new collective bargaining agreement? 

I’m only half kidding. But I’m beginning to seriously believe football ain’t gonna happen this year -on ANY level.

Yup.  But much like when the shoe was on the other foot, the side with the upper hand wants something before they make a concession.  The league shanked this one in the CBA and they might have to take it on the chin a bit because of that.

No football is a very real possibility (probability IMO) at this point.  I think that the horrific mismanagement of the COVID-19 pandemic by many (no names as to not take this political) is going to cause a lot more than football to be shut down soon.  At this point I’d be happy if we get any football at all.  Late season 32 team tournament bracket in lieu of a season and playoffs anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

No way in hades that football players would take a temporary paycut, considering the danger of the job as it is. Add in a pandemic, and I'd absolutely not play if this went through.

Their pay have gone up and up and up, year after year. No one likes a paycut, no matter how much you earn. But with careers being so short in football, you'd forego 3 millions and go for zero as you were supposed to get 4? Makes no sense. 99% of them will never make anything close to NFL money in their lifetime. They'd still make more than players a decade ago and these guys played.

The big question is will they get paid if they do not play and no one in NFL is answering this.

The NFL is still having expenses and will be still be having expenses if no games are played.

If the players willingly choose to sit out will they get paid, how much of pay will they get and will they get health insurance, etc?

NFL teams could choose to fine them every day if they reuse to play which of course would result in NFLPA laywers trying to get courts to overrule NFL.

If states prevent teams from playing who absorbs the costs - the NFL or do their "partners" contribute?

If there is no season do all players get a year credit towards their benefit plan?

If there is no season are all contracts pushed a year in future or are teams supposed to just absorb this?

There's a large gap between the elite players who get paid mega millions (like Michael Thomas) and the depth players who are doing everything they can to hang on in the league and get another contract with a team.

The majority of players would want to play however possible, I think. But I'm not sure the power resides with them. It's probably the elites with the mega millions calling the shots.

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m thinking a full season anywhere would be an absolute miracle, and if you can’t finish, why start? 

(Other than the money of course, which is the only reason they just might try.) 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Voldemort?

Shhhh!!!

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m thinking a full season anywhere would be an absolute miracle, and if you can’t finish, why start? 

(Other than the money of course, which is the only reason they just might try.) 

Exactly what I always say 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nflpa-tells-board-league-has-proposed-35-player-salary-escrow

Sorry if posted elsewhere. 

I was reading another article on how the best thing the NFL had months ago was time. They plodded along pushing forth the draft, keeping things as normal as possible 

for as long as they could go. But now time is not really on their side with camp just a few weeks away. They don't seem to have a clear cut policy on what will happens with fans and 

of course the lost revenue is going to hurt the pockets.

With the nature of the sport, I am not sure the players will ever agree to anything that. Michael Thomas already tweeted how players would rather sit out..

They have less than 2 months to figure this all out..seems like a tall task. Let's see what the nfl machine comes up with. 

The NFL does not have a plan because the states that the teams play in individually control if they play or not, and few to none of those states have a viable plan in place,  This all is contingent on the the virus being brought under control, and it is not even close to being so for the many more months to come. The NFL has no choice but to do what the governors of the states say they can do. The league is not the decision maker on this, they are merely going through the motions putting up a facade of being in control of their destiny on this. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The NFL does not have a plan because the states that the teams play in individually control if they play or not, and few to none of those states have a viable plan in place,  This all is contingent on the the virus being brought under control, and it is not even close to being so for the many more months to come. The NFL has no choice but to do what the governors of the states say they can do. The league is not the decision maker on this, they are merely going through the motions putting up a facade of being in control of their destiny on this. 

Go Bills!!!

Has any governor in any state stated that any pro teams/leagues cannot play in their states?  They've had plenty of time to comment, as all leagues have been planning to start.  MLB is already training.  NYS has a plan---no fans in the stadium.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Has any governor in any state stated that any pro teams/leagues cannot play in their states?  They've had plenty of time to comment, as all leagues have been planning to start.  MLB is already training.  NYS has a plan---no fans in the stadium.

I will rephrase... ?
 Right now, on a contingent basis they have permission to proceed with season preparations. But if the public health concerns rise enough the governors that care about peoples health will stop them from continuing, which can include no games played.  With 1in 99 residents of Florida currently being infected, (see what I mean about governors who care) and the southern and western sun belt states closing back down, it’s on shaky ground at best. “Plans” are written in sand on the waters edge at low tide at this point.  As much as it would suck, the pro leagues know full well there is a chance that there will be no season, and that in such case they will not be the decision makers concerning this. Any way, I’m feeling like a beer ? later ?

Go Bills!!!

31 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I will rephrase... ?
 Right now, on a contingent basis they have permission to proceed with season preparations. But if the public health concerns rise enough the governors that care about peoples health will stop them from continuing, which can include no games played.  With 1in 99 residents of Florida currently being infected, (see what I mean about governors who care) and the southern and western sun belt states closing back down, it’s on shaky ground at best. “Plans” are written in sand on the waters edge at low tide at this point.  As much as it would suck, the pro leagues know full well there is a chance that there will be no season, and that in such case they will not be the decision makers concerning this. Any way, I’m feeling like a beer ? later ?

Go Bills!!!

Even in those states your are referring to, governors are allowing MLB to play. Florida, awash in COVID, is allowing the NBA bubble to go forward. The worst hit states are clearly governed by those least likely to cancel sports.

If sports are a no go, based on we see happening right now, it won’t be governors but the leagues themselves who will decide.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, Mr. WEO said:

They would rather sit out (and not get paid) than have some of their money held in escrow (not a pay cut).

That's some union they got....

There has been a lot talked about before and after your post talking about a pay cut.  It's not a pay cut.  It's a delay in payment.  No details of the delay have been released that I saw in that article.  For 80% of the players making the veteran minimum: Would you rather get 65% of your salary during the season and 35% sometime after, or no salary at all?  Michael Thomas is probably upset because he has a balloon payment on some island he bought coming due.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

There has been a lot talked about before and after your post talking about a pay cut.  It's not a pay cut.  It's a delay in payment.  No details of the delay have been released that I saw in that article.  For 80% of the players making the veteran minimum: Would you rather get 65% of your salary during the season and 35% sometime after, or no salary at all?  Michael Thomas is probably upset because he has a balloon payment on some island he bought coming due.

Yes, I said all that.