Stefon Diggs concerned about football starting back up

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This guy got it:

(not to mention DBs bumping and trying to jam the WR then tackling 'em;  RB and TE blocking; tackling the ball carrier and the QB)

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean yeah for a couple hours they can smash into each other and wrestle around, but once the game ends no conversations.

SMH.  SMDH.

My kid doesn't even particularly watch football but saw enough games from the HS pep band to know: "That's.  Ridiculous."

These millionaires stroking their chins as they contemplate not showing up for work.

Imagine if every hospital worker, grocery store worker and the workers who hand them their drive-through fast feed had such a luxury of contemplation?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

These millionaires stroking their chins as they contemplate not showing up for work.

Imagine if every hospital worker, grocery store worker and the workers who hand them their drive-through fast feed had such a luxury of contemplation?

So because some people have to put themselves at risk others that don't should. ?

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So because some people have to put themselves at risk others that don't should. ?

They should do what they feel is best for them---they have that option.  The workers that I mentioned had a choice too, but it was a much more difficult one, or nearly impossible financially.

There's no need for these to go on and on about it publicly.  Who cares?  They aren't making any significant sacrifice:  don't play, still a millionaire.  Play, become a bigger millionaire and have a lower chance of debilitating illness from the virus than by constantly taking head shots for a career (a risk which they all eagerly accept, ironically).

Show up or pipe down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They should do what they feel is best for them---they have that option.  The workers that I mentioned had a choice too, but it was a much more difficult one, or nearly impossible financially.

There's no need for these to go on and on about it publicly.  Who cares?  They aren't making any significant sacrifice:  don't play, still a millionaire.  Play, become a bigger millionaire and have a lower chance of debilitating illness from the virus than by constantly taking head shots for a career (a risk which they all eagerly accept, ironically).

Show up or pipe down.

Right because public opinion will have nothing to do with the NFL's decisions regarding this season. Also not all players are in that stable a position and those that aren't have far less influence on what's going to happen this season.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:14 AM, SirAndrew said:

Fair enough, I know my opinion on this isn’t popular. Players have every right to be concerned, and I understand it. At the same time, I don’t really trust twenty something guys to quarantine themselves at home, which is exactly what makes the season a challenge.  If the season is called off, I doubt some of the guys who are ”concerned” all stay home, and avoid being exposed to the virus via parties, clubs, etc. If these guys say “ I want my salary, but I’m uncomfortable with playing”, I hope they legitimately use that money to quarantine themselves at home. Anything else would be a bit disingenuous. Honestly, I think most players will be fine with playing, if it can actually happen. 

I agree some want to be paid and not restrict themselves and just expect the NFL to pay them no matter what happens.  Players have shown this many times.  I do not think players are partners as they once claimed.

• Like (+1) 1

Not just players, but young people in general (many not all) are not showing restraints in distancing, masks, etc.  The only thing that seems to get their attention is the fines they receive in FL now if they go anywhere inside of public facilities.

The NFL players are crazy not to be protective if they get sick long enough, they don’t get paid.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/8/2020 at 5:48 AM, SirAndrew said:

I know this isn’t the popular opinion everyone has been conditioned to believe, but when I see things like that, it only confirms how common this virus is among the population. It shows that it’s everywhere, and by the time it’s over most of us will probably get it. That’s not saying it can’t be dangerous, and I’m not saying I’m safe from it. I’m simply making the point that when something is that common,

He did say he “ wasn't comfortable”, no need to call anyone an idiot. I just think it’s funny he was comfortable enough to hang out with a bunch of guys, and yet not comfortable playing a football season. We’re going to get a lot of athletes talking about how they are afraid to play because of Covid, yet we’ll see them hanging out at parties, and going to the bar etc. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy. 

@SirAndrew, with all respect, your point About “no point in hiding” is common - and tremendously, let’s say, Naive.  NO, everyone has not been “conditioned to believe” something and that’s By Damn the PROBLEM here.

It’s been 60 years - I lose track, is that 3 generations?  2?  Since America had to deal with an unchecked epidemic disease for which there was no treatment and we’re not relearning how very gracefully.  Not to pick on you, but your post is Exhibit A.

In El Centro, California, they’ve put up hospital tents in the parking lot.  Now they’re down to their last tent.  

In SW Missouri, laboratories are so overwhelmed that they’re taking 5-10 days to return results.  That’s a point at which contact tracing is totally impossible and Public Health decisions become based upon information that’s a week old when the decision is discussed and made - that’s a losing tactical situation.

Basically what it’s saying to take the view “really no point in hiding” (even the use of the word hiding) is “Hey, you’re over 60?  Got one or more of a very common condition like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, hypertension (that’s something along the lines of 40-50% of the US population all together)?  Got some other factors we don’t understand yet but that lead to 30% of those hospitalized being 20-49 years old, some previously healthy?  Well ***** YOU VERY MUCH!  I’m going to LIVE MY LIFE and not COWER IN FEAR behind a horrid uncomfortable mask that can’t stop the virus but yet manages to restrict transfer of small molecule gasses. I can’t breathe.  BAR LIVES MATTER!”

This isn’t rocket science.  Back in the 1950s, it was understood that polio was transmitted most easily through fecal contamination of bodies of water (easy to achieve with kids) and poor hygiene around other secretions (boogers, etc).  Public health measures like closing swimming pools and scout camps and prohibiting public gatherings were instituted and accepted.  Homes and even towns with an infected person were quarantined.  Polio was crippling 35,000 Americans a year at that point and even though it became understood that it’s not a serious disease for 95% of the people who get it, no one was anxious to sign up to be The Man in the Iron Lung.  No one said “oh, damn, it’s common, life as usual.  Hey, BOLOs having a 2-fer on Longnecks, Jake, let’s go!”  It was recognized that maybe we should Respect the Germs and be willing to alter life’s trajectory somewhat.

That respect for contagious disease has gotten completely lost here.  Yes, COVID-19 common - and yes, it can still be contained, and containing is worthwhile because it ensures that top-notch medical care will be available to you (should you prove to be one of those younger, healthy people who become very ill), your family, and your friends.  It respects our elders who fought in WWII and Korea and actually lived through rationing and having loved ones go off to war and not come back, because it’s very difficult to protect a vulnerable population in the face of a widespread epidemic disease and we aren’t Doing what it Takes.

There are still states where the % positive tests is <1% despite vastly increased testing.  Life is going on - people are getting take out food and dining outside, they’re working, they’re shopping.  But it’s not normal, they’re wearing masks (or supposed to be) and some businesses like bars should probably remain closed if the patrons can’t discipline themselves to Respect the Virus.

The POINT is to maintain hospital capacity and keep the % positivity low enough that we have a shot to protect the vulnerable.  We all didn’t need to become NYC and repeat its mistakes, which is exactly where “no point!” is inexorably taking us.  And you know what? There is “no point” - it’s being done in the name of economic recovery, but the economy isn’t going to recover while an epidemic disease is still circulating, because much of the population IS going to take precautions and stay the ***** at home.  See “Sweden, Economy of, Today”.  

You type “ there’s really is no point in hiding anymore. Life might as well go on some point. ” and it needs to be read “Well ***** You Granny and Gramps.  ***** you very much.  Blake with Diabetes?  ***** him too, he might be a good kid and a brilliant programmer but he’s just a weakling, get him out of the Gene Pool.  Harry the Hypertensive?  ***** him too, shoulda started eating Paleo in his 20s, So What if his two minimum wage jobs and grocery desert make fried chicken and Mac n Cheese more accessible than crisp salad and lean meat.”  That’s what that truly means and IMHO it’s a ***** ugly attitude towards fellow humans.

OK, I’ve done my morning rant.  Peace Out.  

PS I gave 4 points and someone else added a 5th why Diggs might logically and consistently be comfortable practicing non-contact with a sub-group of teammates and not comfortable starting the season.  It’s upthread.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Right because public opinion will have nothing to do with the NFL's decisions regarding this season. Also not all players are in that stable a position and those that aren't have far less influence on what's going to happen this season.

Public opinion?  I'm confident it is overwhelmingly that these guys get back to work and play games, no matter what the players say on twitter.

Every player on an NFL roster is in a better "position" than every supermarket/fastfood/nonprofessional hospital worker.  As for those players who are in a less "stable" position than Diggs, maybe he should chat with them before tweeting about what players should be doing going forward.

Pretty tough decisions! Certainly can see the sense of lockdown as far as helping our healthcare system treat sick people in a timely fashion. But sooner or later it has to run it’s course and go thru the population. I’m pessimistic about games with fans until that happens!!

I  don't  blame Diggs for his concern.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Public opinion?  I'm confident it is overwhelmingly that these guys get back to work and play games, no matter what the players say on twitter.

Every player on an NFL roster is in a better "position" than every supermarket/fastfood/nonprofessional hospital worker.  As for those players who are in a less "stable" position than Diggs, maybe he should chat with them before tweeting about what players should be doing going forward.

Where did Diggs tweet about “what players should be doing going forward”?  What I just saw, he said he’s not comfortable.  Isn’t he entitled to his own opinions?

Your analogy somewhat breaks down in that supermarket, fast food, and non professional hospital workers can take effective measures such as wearing a mask, maintaining distance through barriers and physical distance, and using other PPE such as gowns and gloves when they can’t.  Their efforts can be made more effective if the public respects them and also wears masks.

One can not do those things and play a contact team sport such as football.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not that it’s gonna matter to you, but where did Diggs tweet about “what players should be doing going forward”?  What I just saw, he said he’s not comfortable.  Isn’t he entitled to his own opinions?

Also not that it matters to you, but the analogy somewhat breaks down in that supermarket, fast food, and non professional hospital workers can take effective measures such as wearing a mask, maintaining distance through barriers and physical distance, and using other PPE such as gowns and gloves when they can’t.  Their efforts can be made more effective if the public respects them and also wears masks.

One can not do those things and play a contact team sport such as football.

None of those workers I mentioned are being routinely tested (or tested at all, in most cases)---nor are the people they come in contact with.  Even hospital workers, as you well know, are contracting and succumbing to the virus despite all "precautions"---so that's a weak point.  As you also know, no expense will be spared to provide the best testing and monitoring and healthcare to protect these athletes from exposure (at least while they are working---bumming around FLA not included).

As I said, he certainly is entitled to his opinion.  He's had all spring to voice them.  Only now he seems troubled by the NFL going forward----and this is from a guy who has chosen to workout (with zero precautions) in Earth's current COVID epicenter.  So it's seems more than little bogus that he's truly concerned about this.

Enough already.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@SirAndrew, with all respect, your point About “no point in hiding” is common - and tremendously, let’s say, Naive.  NO, everyone has not been “conditioned to believe” something and that’s By Damn the PROBLEM here.

It’s been 60 years - I lose track, is that 3 generations?  2?  Since America had to deal with an unchecked epidemic disease for which there was no treatment and we’re not relearning how very gracefully.  Not to pick on you, but your post is Exhibit A.

In El Centro, California, they’ve put up hospital tents in the parking lot.  Now they’re down to their last tent.  

In SW Missouri, laboratories are so overwhelmed that they’re taking 5-10 days to return results.  That’s a point at which contact tracing is totally impossible and Public Health decisions become based upon information that’s a week old when the decision is discussed and made - that’s a losing tactical situation.

Basically what it’s saying to take the view “really no point in hiding” (even the use of the word hiding) is “Hey, you’re over 60?  Got one or more of a very common condition like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, hypertension (that’s something along the lines of 40-50% of the US population all together)?  Got some other factors we don’t understand yet but that lead to 30% of those hospitalized being 20-49 years old, some previously healthy?  Well ***** YOU VERY MUCH!  I’m going to LIVE MY LIFE and not COWER IN FEAR behind a horrid uncomfortable mask that can’t stop the virus but yet manages to restrict transfer of small molecule gasses. I can’t breathe.  BAR LIVES MATTER!”

This isn’t rocket science.  Back in the 1950s, it was understood that polio was transmitted most easily through fecal contamination of bodies of water (easy to achieve with kids) and poor hygiene around other secretions (boogers, etc).  Public health measures like closing swimming pools and scout camps and prohibiting public gatherings were instituted and accepted.  Homes and even towns with an infected person were quarantined.  Polio was crippling 35,000 Americans a year at that point and even though it became understood that it’s not a serious disease for 95% of the people who get it, no one was anxious to sign up to be The Man in the Iron Lung.  No one said “oh, damn, it’s common, life as usual.  Hey, BOLOs having a 2-fer on Longnecks, Jake, let’s go!”  It was recognized that maybe we should Respect the Germs and be willing to alter life’s trajectory somewhat.

That respect for contagious disease has gotten completely lost here.  Yes, COVID-19 common - and yes, it can still be contained, and containing is worthwhile because it ensures that top-notch medical care will be available to you (should you prove to be one of those younger, healthy people who become very ill), your family, and your friends.  It respects our elders who fought in WWII and Korea and actually lived through rationing and having loved ones go off to war and not come back, because it’s very difficult to protect a vulnerable population in the face of a widespread epidemic disease and we aren’t Doing what it Takes.

There are still states where the % positive tests is <1% despite vastly increased testing.  Life is going on - people are getting take out food and dining outside, they’re working, they’re shopping.  But it’s not normal, they’re wearing masks (or supposed to be) and some businesses like bars should probably remain closed if the patrons can’t discipline themselves to Respect the Virus.

The POINT is to maintain hospital capacity and keep the % positivity low enough that we have a shot to protect the vulnerable.  We all didn’t need to become NYC and repeat its mistakes, which is exactly where “no point!” is inexorably taking us.  And you know what? There is “no point” - it’s being done in the name of economic recovery, but the economy isn’t going to recover while an epidemic disease is still circulating, because much of the population IS going to take precautions and stay the ***** at home.  See “Sweden, Economy of, Today”.  

You type “ there’s really is no point in hiding anymore. Life might as well go on some point. ” and it needs to be read “Well ***** You Granny and Gramps.  ***** you very much.  Blake with Diabetes?  ***** him too, he might be a good kid and a brilliant programmer but he’s just a weakling, get him out of the Gene Pool.  Harry the Hypertensive?  ***** him too, shoulda started eating Paleo in his 20s, So What if his two minimum wage jobs and grocery desert make fried chicken and Mac n Cheese more accessible than crisp salad and lean meat.”  That’s what that truly means and IMHO it’s a ***** ugly attitude towards fellow humans.

PS I gave 4 points and someone else added a 5th why Diggs might logically and consistently be comfortable practicing non-contact with a sub-group of teammates and not comfortable starting the season.  It’s upthread.

Hapless, you ate you're Wheaties this morning, but not wrong at all.  Well played my friend, well played.

In regards to Diggs, he has a right to be concerned.  Either the NFL needs to cancel the season or take effective precautions.  It can't be football as normal - that just isn't responsible.

I'm not certain what the 'effective precautions' might be (hopefully something more robust than banning jersey exchanges!) but there's another thread about modified football helmets.  Since Covid 19 is spread primarily by respiratory droplets (and, maybe, respiratory aerosols) a modified football helmet like the one below might help.

NFL-2020-Chicago-Bears-COVID-helmet.png?resize=620%2C400&ssl=1

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/is-that-what-an-nfl-covid-19-helmet-could-look-like/

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

In regards to Diggs, he has a right to be concerned.  Either the NFL needs to cancel the season or take effective precautions.  It can't be football as normal - that just isn't responsible.

I'm not certain what the 'effective precautions' might be but there's another thread about modified football helmets.  Since Covid 19 is spread primarily by respiratory droplets (and, maybe, respiratory aerosols) a modified football helmet like the one below might help.

NFL-2020-Chicago-Bears-COVID-helmet.png?resize=620%2C400&ssl=1

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/is-that-what-an-nfl-covid-19-helmet-could-look-like/

I want one!!

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I never said most of what you assume . I wear a mask, I take precautions, I believe it’s real and dangerous, and I understand that we don’t want the health care system to be overwhelmed. You seem overly sensitive. At no point did I say I don’t care about society. I’m making the point that shutdowns were to prevent the system from being overwhelmed. There were never any guarantees we would prevent the majority of the population from being exposed to the virus. That’s the point I was making, and didn’t mean for it to sound poorly. 

We have no clue when an EFFECTIVE vaccine will be available. I hope the virus doesn’t take too many lives, but there might be nothing stopping the majority of us from being exposed, unless we stay permanently shut down. It can be dangerous, so I don’t lack an understanding of that. I’m making the point that people will be exposed until we find a vaccine. I’ve been exposed, and I am “ Harry the hypertensive”, but I have mouths to feed, so I can’t sit in fear everyday. I take precautions, because I’m not the ignorant anti mask/anti precautions person you assume me to be. The virus is so out of control right now, I simply question the logic of people who think they will escape ever being exposed, it was just a thought. I don’t believe it can be “contained” or eradicated without a vaccine, because it is too widespread in the states. With all due respect, I’d love to hear how you think it can be contained at this point ? I genuinely would like to hear some ideas. Other than a complete shutdown of the country, I don’t see containment happening. I’m cool with any athlete who chooses to sit out. I’d use the money to self quarantine as well. I simply questioned how many athletes who sit out the season would actual do that, or be out at clubs etc. That’s just my bias towards 20 something pro athletes, but it was simply my only question. 

Edited by SirAndrew

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I agree some want to be paid and not restrict themselves and just expect the NFL to pay them no matter what happens.  Players have shown this many times.  I do not think players are partners as they once claimed.

Well said, I get tired of this idea that NFL owners are some evil entity that uses forced labor to profit. The owners are out to make a buck, that’s how the world works. We are in the middle of a pandemic, yet millions of people have been called back to work. It’s not just NFL owners who need to stay profitable. If a guy doesn’t want to play, that’s fine, but I was just surprised with the amount of sympathy over their “plight” when some of them decided to voice concerns publicly.