Stefon Diggs concerned about football starting back up

12 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Due to the timing of the virus, the NFL is starting to catch up with the rest of the sports world.  They're seeing athletes from other sports getting the virus even though they're following safety protocols.  Training camp is scheduled to start in about 3 weeks.  Reality is starting to sink in with the NFL players.  Despite their best efforts to stay healthy, quite a few will likely get the virus.  I can't blame Diggs at all for raising concerns about playing.

Only MLB has begun training and protocols this past week.  So players aren't "getting the virus" by following protocols.  If they test positive at the start, then they showed up infected.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only MLB has begun training and protocols this past week.  So players aren't "getting the virus" by following protocols.  If they test positive at the start, then they showed up infected.

I thought MLS players were following protocols, no?

I haven't heard this question asked yet, so here it goes. WHEN players get Covid-19 are we just automatically assuming that they will return after 2-3 weeks and be their old "normal" selves? I mean even if none of the overweight OL gets hospitalized and/or dies, are they just gonna be able to step back in and play up to their "normal" standards after a bout with the virus? Let's not forget the coaching staff which is primarily composed of men in their 40-50+ age category. I am very curious what the "Protocols" might be WHEN this happens...

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Due to the timing of the virus, the NFL is starting to catch up with the rest of the sports world.  They're seeing athletes from other sports getting the virus even though they're following safety protocols.  Training camp is scheduled to start in about 3 weeks.  Reality is starting to sink in with the NFL players.  Despite their best efforts to stay healthy, quite a few will likely get the virus.  I can't blame Diggs at all for raising concerns about playing.

Hoping the NFL doesn't treat this like PED testing. Where clearly everybody is doing it, but a couple of guys get get singled out. MLB and the NHL are over 30 players. The NBA is getting close to that number. Both Outside of Von, Sean Peyton, and Zeke, I don't know of any or many others. The internet isn't showing much in regards to prevalence. All we are getting from the NFL is "Should players be affraid", "List of NFL Protocols" and "Can you play in the Superbowl if you test positive?" Given that roster size in the NFL is 2x or 3x those leagues, you would expect a number of 70+. 

11 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I haven't heard this question asked yet, so here it goes. WHEN players get Covid-19 are we just automatically assuming that they will return after 2-3 weeks and be their old "normal" selves? I mean even if none of the overweight OL gets hospitalized and/or dies, are they just gonna be able to step back in and play up to their "normal" standards after a bout with the virus? Let's not forget the coaching staff which is primarily composed of men in their 40-50+ age category. I am very curious what the "Protocols" might be WHEN this happens...

That most likely won't happen. Part of the reason I shared the story from my friend earlier in this thread. Long and short, she is already an Olympic Gold Medalist, 4 x World Champion, and World Record holder. She got sick in late February/Early March. As of yesterday she is still struggling to get back to February fitness. 

22 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Granted he's not in the athletic prime of his life or anything, but a family friend of mine had no prior conditions that would suggest he'd be at an elevated risk of suffering long-term from Covid.

He tested positive and after being on life support for weeks and his family being told that he likely wasn't going to make it, he pulled through. But he lost like 50+ pounds and had to spend roughly 2 months re-learning how to walk and eat again.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Funny how Diggs is afraid to play the season, yet a huge number of Bills players got together for practice. They even took a group picture all huddled together with no masks. Who knows how many guys came out of the practice as positive asymptomatic if they had been tested. People are real idiots about this virus. It seems like they pick and choose when they want to be safe. 

not afraid, concerned

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

not afraid, concerned

He wasn’t “concerned” about practicing with a bunch of teammates in Florida. I just find that inconsistent. I’m trying not to voice any controversial Covid comments, but you’d think a guy who was “concerned” wouldn’t hang around a bunch of teammates with no masks. Kind of like Malcolm Jenkins saying he’s not sure if the season is safe, yet he’s marching in protests. Live your life, but I just like consistency. I’m all in favor of keeping people safe, but you can’t have it both ways. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

He wasn’t “concerned” about practicing with a bunch of teammates in Florida. I just find that inconsistent. 

I think those practices are a much smaller group that generally include players quarantining together. I'm not sure in ever case, but I know at the start of this that's what they are doing. When the season starts back up though you're going to have hundreds of people who have been doing their own thing. Then each game day you mix that large group with another from states that aren't doing as well. 

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think those practices are a much smaller group that generally include players quarantining together. I'm not sure in ever case, but I know at the start of this that's what they are doing. When the season starts back up though you're going to have hundreds of people who have been doing their own thing. Then each game day you mix that large group with another from states that aren't doing as well. 

Fair enough, I know my opinion on this isn’t popular. Players have every right to be concerned, and I understand it. At the same time, I don’t really trust twenty something guys to quarantine themselves at home, which is exactly what makes the season a challenge.  If the season is called off, I doubt some of the guys who are ”concerned” all stay home, and avoid being exposed to the virus via parties, clubs, etc. If these guys say “ I want my salary, but I’m uncomfortable with playing”, I hope they legitimately use that money to quarantine themselves at home. Anything else would be a bit disingenuous. Honestly, I think most players will be fine with playing, if it can actually happen. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Read an article the other day from some group of infectious disease experts who were talking about college.  Predicted due to many players with pre-existing condition, obese, something like 7 players would be seriously hospitalized and 2 would die.  While thye are obese, in other ways in very good shape so maybe those numbers are low.  On the other hand, seems like for guys in such good shape, there are a fair number of heart issues, maybe as the heart isn't made to work with a body that large.

Money will delay or destroy this season.  Owners will lose less money this year by not playing at all.  Players won't take pay cuts.  Future years salary cap is based on prior revenue.  If players don't take the hit this year, it will hurt them next year.  The players think they can not take a paycut this year, and then also not take a hit next year.  They want to just have a flat cap for years to come to make up the loses the owners will need to eat this year.  If the players want to follow the CBA so bad and not take a cut this year, the owners will make them follow the CBA next year and have the cap sink to extreme lows.  Players want everything and the owners should not give in with the amount of millions they will lose playing this year.

43 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Read an article the other day from some group of infectious disease experts who were talking about college.  Predicted due to many players with pre-existing condition, obese, something like 7 players would be seriously hospitalized and 2 would die.  While thye are obese, in other ways in very good shape so maybe those numbers are low.  On the other hand, seems like for guys in such good shape, there are a fair number of heart issues, maybe as the heart isn't made to work with a body that large.

Experts have been batting about 0.075 this pandemic season, so I wouldn't trust what their saying...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I thought MLS players were following protocols, no?

The article below explains how MLS only made players quarantine for 24hrs before allowing them into the bubble - So they followed protocols, but the very first protocol was a weak link https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus-mls-nba-sports-return-protocols-025336665.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

MLS?  who knows?  Didn't a whole team show up infected?

Yes.  Dallas is out.  Don't know the details of when players contracted virus but was wondering what NFL would do in that situation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This whole pandemic has been poorly handled since we knew about it as far back as before January,  far to many of our officials and our citizens have acted and are still acting so stupidly that Diggs is right to be very concerned.

Look at what we Americans have done to ourselves and each other, one would have to be a mental midget to not be worried about what is happening throughout our country.

It truly sucks, but we have brought this upon ourselves. We should not be wanting to purposefully put others at risk for our entertainment,  purposes,  what does that say about us, are we so narrow in our thoughts?

Me, I’m a high risk category guy, congestive heart failure, blood type A,  DVT/PE history, over sixty, if I catch this, it  kills me.

This.  Americans suck for the most part. There’s lots of good, but too much sucky to allow the good to make their mark

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Obviously in the pandemic, death is the greatest risk, but in regards to limiting the scope to performance and careers. I think the biggest risk is that too many players become relatively useless even after their two weeks of quarantine. Getting the virus and sitting in a cube all day doesn't effect a ton of your respiratory need (other than survival). But imagine that your respiratory system is what puts food on the table for your family. These guys are operating at razor thin margins. The difference between getting on the podium at the olympics and not racing in the final at all (thinking swimming, rowing, running, etc.) can be a fraction of a percentage in performance. So a player gets sick, they come back at 90%, that is the difference between being a HOF and not being signed as an UDFA out of college. 90% is generous as well. Based on conversations with friends at the Olympic training center, those effected are seeing 20-25% depletion in performance for months on end. 

• Like (+1) 4