Stefon Diggs concerned about football starting back up

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's hard for me to imagine a fall without the Bills - but I'm getting there.

He's not wrong at all.  European soccer is doing really well right now - but that's Europe.  I went from really hopeful about the NBA, MLB and NFL a few weeks ago to pretty pessimistic.

Right there with you.  It seems with each passing day, I lose a little more optimism.

FC Dallas had to pull out of the opening MLS tournament after 10 players tested positive*.  Get too many of these types of stories and players in all leagues are going to be questioning the sanity of trying to play in 2020

* That's 10 of 30 players on the roster.  What happens if an NFL team gets hit like that?  Can't exactly play with 17 players out.. for 2 weeks or more.

Link https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mls/fcdallas/2020/07/06/mls-fc-dallas-pulls-out-orlando-tournament-coronavirus/5387643002/ 

Edited by driddles

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fox News: Buccaneers' Arians on NFL players ahead of season amid coronavirus 
pandemic: 'They're going to all get sick'.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/buccaneers-bruce-arians-nfl-season-coronavirus-theyre-going-to-get-sick

They really need to get rid of their comments section.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm 100% behind Diggs... safety first. It's good to see adults act like adults for a change and make responsible decisions instead of denying things and playing Russian roulette with others lives.

VERY proud to be a part of #BillsMafia if we have players and coaches who get it. Love the culture that's been built.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

It’s amazing how covid ignorance made everyone soft, including Diggs. 

What next? Tackling too violent?

Look at that... took a while, but we have our first little kid-like comment.

Glad Diggs is an actual mature adult.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a long read. But it is an important look. For those who think this thing is two weeks and your done. Below is the story of a friend, 4 time World Champion and Olympic gold medalist. Less than 6 months from the Tokyo games, in literally the best shape of her life, is now pushing to just get back on pace to where she was back in February/March. For those of you not keeping track, it’s July now. 

This isn’t two weeks of the flu, and get back on the horse. NFL/NCAA players are going to get this, and it will cost them money, careers, and seasons. 

My COVID experience:

This is going to be a long post, but I've seen so many people talking about how the age of people infected with COVID has trended downward and that means we're fine. So I thought it was a good time to share my experience with the virus so that people connected to me could read a 1st hand account of the impact of a mild/moderate case of COVID on a young, healthy, fit individual.

In case you don't know me, I am an elite athlete, a 4 time world champion in rowing and I won a gold medal at the 2016 Olympic games. I'm currently training for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in 2021 now.

Back in March everything was changing so rapidly. The virus started spreading in the Northeast US where our team was training for the Olympics. It was an incredibly stressful time and we were entering our last 2 month stretch of selection. Everything started getting canceled, my dad found out he was going to need surgery and radiation to remover cancer from his face, and officials were insisting that the Olympics would definitely go on as planned. We were told that the Olympics don't get canceled (turns out they can be postponed though).

Our team continued to train following the local guidelines as they rapidly changed throughout March. I was definitely concerned about the virus and what we were hearing was happening in Italy and other countries, however I considered myself and my teammates low risk individuals. I couldn't tell you the last time I was at a bar or another crowded place. Everything I do, especially in the Olympic year is all about recovery and being in the best position I can possibly be in to make the team. So my social circle is really small, almost completely limited to my team and USRowing employees. 

NJ issued a stay at home order on March 21st. Our entire team took ergs and weight lifting equipment home with us and  I started training on my porch. 2 days later we received an email that a USRowing employee that most of our team was in close contact with tested positive for COVID. We were instructed to quarantine for 2 weeks following our last interaction with that employee. I had worked with the employee who at the time was not showing any symptoms 3 days earlier. I started my quarantine and was so thankful that I had done a massive grocery haul a day earlier. 

One by one my teammates (ages 23-37) started showing symptoms of the virus. I didn't think I was having any symptoms, but I did notice that I was having a hard time breathing when the intensity of my workouts started increasing and that I was starting to sleep close to 12 hours a night, but I didn't have a fever. So, at the time I attributed the difficulty breathing to erging outside in the cold and the extra sleep to the fact that the Olympics had just been postponed and my entire focus for the last four years was no longer close to 100 days away.

As most of my teammates started to recover from their acute COVID symptoms, I started noticing a fever on April 1st. That was Day 12 of my quarantine. Our team doctor told us to look out for anything over 99.0 because their practice had seen people testing positive with fevers as low as 99.0. On the night of Day 12 I had a baby fever of 99.2, so I texted our team Dr. to let him know. 

I genuinely thought it was unlikely that I had COVID because typically people were showing symptoms days 4-5 after exposure. So I thought that the elevated temperature was probably just a fluke. The next morning I woke up, I felt great, and I never had a fever that entire day. 

Friday April 3rd was a completely different story. I slept over 12 hours that night and when I woke up it was painful to breathe and my entire body ached like I had done something really wrong while I was practicing the day before. That day my fever ranged from about 100.4-101.7. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to sit down and take a nap. Not only did I sleep for 12 hours that night, but I also took a 3 hour nap. I was too weak to make myself food that entire day until I forced myself to make pancakes that night because I knew I had to eat something.

The next night I slept for 12 hours again. It was still painful to breath and I was still extremely exhausted and unable to do simple household tasks. Thankfully, though, my body aches were gone that day.

These were the 2 days where I had the worst symptoms, but just because these symptoms improved after 2 days doesn't mean I was fully recovered from COVID. It took the rest of April for me to be able to train normally again. 

I took 4 days off from training while I was sick and in hindsight I wish I had given myself the freedom to take more days off if I needed them. 

When I first started trying to work out again I tried doing a 30 minute jog. My heart rate was really high and I felt like I was running through water. The jog was meant to be light and a small attempt to get my body moving again, but it was so difficult I had to stop after 20 minutes. I am used to doing workouts that range from 80-120 minutes. I don't give up easily and I was just near my peak closing in on final selection for the Olympics. Now I couldn't even jog/walk for 30 minutes. 

The next day I tried an easy erg. The best way I can describe what I was feeling is when you crash and burn on a workout because you didn't fuel your body properly. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically feint and shaky and not ready to do the workout. I completed the workout by taking one stroke at a time and allowing myself to be as slow as I needed to be.

The entire month of April was a big struggle for me to workout. Things improved to where I was able to workout consistently, but I had to go 10-15 splits slower that I normally would on easy workouts to control my heart rate and make it through workouts. And for refrence, 10-15 splits is a ton, that basically meant I was erging at a pace of a slow college student or average high school girl. I still didn't feel like myself and always felt like I was carrying 50 extra pounds when I was working out. 

Things didn't really improve until I went for a run the morning of  May 2nd. All of a sudden I felt light and like I was in my own body again. It felt like a complete 180. While I felt normal in my body again, it has been a long journey to get back into shape. As of today, over 3 months after my symptoms went away, I am working on getting back into the shape I was in in early February and March before all of the setbacks. While it only ? took me a month to feel like I was in my own body again, I have teammates who were dealing with complications from COVID for over 2 months.

So if you don't think the virus is that big of a deal because you are young, healthy, or fit, please consider my story. My guess is that my teammates and I are at a minimum healthier and fitter than most of you and it knocked many of us down hard. I have personally never experienced any other illness like this. I have never been knocked off of my feet for an entire month before.

Please wear a mask to protect yourself and the people around you. I am hoping to donate blood plasma to help a person in need. 

We're all in this together and the more we can do small things the sooner our lives can get back to something resembling normal again.

• Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 11

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He seems very well spoken (*ducking*)

His writing skills are very good. He wrote that article awhile back and I was impressed.

Writing is definately a skill that seems to be falling by the wayside.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

This is a long read. But it is an important look. For those who think this thing is two weeks and your done. Below is the story of a friend, 4 time World Champion and Olympic gold medalist. Less than 6 months from the Tokyo games, in literally the best shape of her life, is now pushing to just get back on pace to where she was back in February/March. For those of you not keeping track, it’s July now. 

This isn’t two weeks of the flu, and get back on the horse. NFL/NCAA players are going to get this, and it will cost them money, careers, and seasons. 

My COVID experience:

This is going to be a long post, but I've seen so many people talking about how the age of people infected with COVID has trended downward and that means we're fine. So I thought it was a good time to share my experience with the virus so that people connected to me could read a 1st hand account of the impact of a mild/moderate case of COVID on a young, healthy, fit individual.

In case you don't know me, I am an elite athlete, a 4 time world champion in rowing and I won a gold medal at the 2016 Olympic games. I'm currently training for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in 2021 now.

Back in March everything was changing so rapidly. The virus started spreading in the Northeast US where our team was training for the Olympics. It was an incredibly stressful time and we were entering our last 2 month stretch of selection. Everything started getting canceled, my dad found out he was going to need surgery and radiation to remover cancer from his face, and officials were insisting that the Olympics would definitely go on as planned. We were told that the Olympics don't get canceled (turns out they can be postponed though).

Our team continued to train following the local guidelines as they rapidly changed throughout March. I was definitely concerned about the virus and what we were hearing was happening in Italy and other countries, however I considered myself and my teammates low risk individuals. I couldn't tell you the last time I was at a bar or another crowded place. Everything I do, especially in the Olympic year is all about recovery and being in the best position I can possibly be in to make the team. So my social circle is really small, almost completely limited to my team and USRowing employees. 

NJ issued a stay at home order on March 21st. Our entire team took ergs and weight lifting equipment home with us and  I started training on my porch. 2 days later we received an email that a USRowing employee that most of our team was in close contact with tested positive for COVID. We were instructed to quarantine for 2 weeks following our last interaction with that employee. I had worked with the employee who at the time was not showing any symptoms 3 days earlier. I started my quarantine and was so thankful that I had done a massive grocery haul a day earlier. 

One by one my teammates (ages 23-37) started showing symptoms of the virus. I didn't think I was having any symptoms, but I did notice that I was having a hard time breathing when the intensity of my workouts started increasing and that I was starting to sleep close to 12 hours a night, but I didn't have a fever. So, at the time I attributed the difficulty breathing to erging outside in the cold and the extra sleep to the fact that the Olympics had just been postponed and my entire focus for the last four years was no longer close to 100 days away.

As most of my teammates started to recover from their acute COVID symptoms, I started noticing a fever on April 1st. That was Day 12 of my quarantine. Our team doctor told us to look out for anything over 99.0 because their practice had seen people testing positive with fevers as low as 99.0. On the night of Day 12 I had a baby fever of 99.2, so I texted our team Dr. to let him know. 

I genuinely thought it was unlikely that I had COVID because typically people were showing symptoms days 4-5 after exposure. So I thought that the elevated temperature was probably just a fluke. The next morning I woke up, I felt great, and I never had a fever that entire day. 

Friday April 3rd was a completely different story. I slept over 12 hours that night and when I woke up it was painful to breathe and my entire body ached like I had done something really wrong while I was practicing the day before. That day my fever ranged from about 100.4-101.7. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to sit down and take a nap. Not only did I sleep for 12 hours that night, but I also took a 3 hour nap. I was too weak to make myself food that entire day until I forced myself to make pancakes that night because I knew I had to eat something.

The next night I slept for 12 hours again. It was still painful to breath and I was still extremely exhausted and unable to do simple household tasks. Thankfully, though, my body aches were gone that day.

These were the 2 days where I had the worst symptoms, but just because these symptoms improved after 2 days doesn't mean I was fully recovered from COVID. It took the rest of April for me to be able to train normally again. 

I took 4 days off from training while I was sick and in hindsight I wish I had given myself the freedom to take more days off if I needed them. 

When I first started trying to work out again I tried doing a 30 minute jog. My heart rate was really high and I felt like I was running through water. The jog was meant to be light and a small attempt to get my body moving again, but it was so difficult I had to stop after 20 minutes. I am used to doing workouts that range from 80-120 minutes. I don't give up easily and I was just near my peak closing in on final selection for the Olympics. Now I couldn't even jog/walk for 30 minutes. 

The next day I tried an easy erg. The best way I can describe what I was feeling is when you crash and burn on a workout because you didn't fuel your body properly. My legs felt fine, but I felt physically feint and shaky and not ready to do the workout. I completed the workout by taking one stroke at a time and allowing myself to be as slow as I needed to be.

The entire month of April was a big struggle for me to workout. Things improved to where I was able to workout consistently, but I had to go 10-15 splits slower that I normally would on easy workouts to control my heart rate and make it through workouts. And for refrence, 10-15 splits is a ton, that basically meant I was erging at a pace of a slow college student or average high school girl. I still didn't feel like myself and always felt like I was carrying 50 extra pounds when I was working out. 

Things didn't really improve until I went for a run the morning of  May 2nd. All of a sudden I felt light and like I was in my own body again. It felt like a complete 180. While I felt normal in my body again, it has been a long journey to get back into shape. As of today, over 3 months after my symptoms went away, I am working on getting back into the shape I was in in early February and March before all of the setbacks. While it only ? took me a month to feel like I was in my own body again, I have teammates who were dealing with complications from COVID for over 2 months.

So if you don't think the virus is that big of a deal because you are young, healthy, or fit, please consider my story. My guess is that my teammates and I are at a minimum healthier and fitter than most of you and it knocked many of us down hard. I have personally never experienced any other illness like this. I have never been knocked off of my feet for an entire month before.

Please wear a mask to protect yourself and the people around you. I am hoping to donate blood plasma to help a person in need. 

We're all in this together and the more we can do small things the sooner our lives can get back to something resembling normal again.

Personal stories and anecdotes exist on both sides of any argument. That's why you have to follow the aggregate data.

There are horror stories from the common cold or chicken pox. And you also have stories of people unaffected by deadly diseases. Individual stories should not be used to make decisions.

When you are dealing with hundreds of millions of people, of course there are horror stories.

Nationwide deaths shot up about 700 today from yesterday after about a week of 50,000 new cases being reported every day.

Color me extremely pessimistic. Meanwhile, the Brooklyn Nets are likely not going to have a complete roster, and more than half a dozen LA Dodgers aren't even in contact with the team. I have no faith that any league is going to be up and running within a month...

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

Personal stories and anecdotes exist on both sides of any argument. That's why you have to follow the aggregate data.

There are horror stories from the common cold or chicken pox. And you also have stories of people unaffected by deadly diseases. Individual stories should not be used to make decisions.

When you are dealing with hundreds of millions of people, of course there are horror stories.

Except....that wasn't a horror story.  She didn't have organ failure, or a stroke.  She didn't wind up in ICU or intubated, or even on oxygen.  She didn't take 63 days to recover.

That was the experience of a young elite athlete with no pre-existing conditions who contracted what is considered to be a mild case of covid-19 and experienced what most people would call "no lasting effects".  And it knocked her out for a month, and she's still working back to her previous level.

There is no aggregate data of which I'm aware detailing how long young fit people take to recover.

Also...what is the "argument"?  Is there argument that "mild" cases of covid-19 can have lasting effects that take months to recover from?  How many case histories does one need to believe that?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Thanks a bunch for posting that, Mango. And thank your friend, too. Non-maskers better get it together soon (and businesses better stop coddling them), or we all suffer.

Always remember, it did not have to be this way.

Many other countries either squelched this, or (even if it initially blew up on them) got it under control.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2