DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't just the far left. It is the far right too. It is the way our discourse has gone. Create these ridiculous "boogey-man" caricatures of the problem and then focus on extreme means of vanquishing them. And in relation to this particular issue what @Coach Tuesday said a few pages back is absolute correct - anti-semitism is where the far left and far right meet around the back. The idea of the great Jewish conspiracy. 

Sadly I see no way of lifting our societal discourse out of the gutter when so much of it is conducted in 280 characters. It basically invites unnuanced hot takes. 

Yeah, I agree with that. I've always been less concerned with the far-right, because, at the end of the day, they mostly exist in the back woods and outside the public eye. I 100% understand that is not universally true, but I don't regard them as a growing segment of our population.  Conversely, the far-left is born and bread in our college institutions, and to a lesser extent our public schools, places where you have to go to be successful, and where you have to comport to do well. To be clear, they are both really bad, and I LOVE that "meet around the back" comment, as it is so true. I'm just saying that, moving forward, one scares me more than the other. 

But you are right, we've become super radicalized.  Use of the staw-man, which formerly was regarded as a bad logical fallacy, is now the basic premise of every political argument. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah, I agree with that. I've always been less concerned with the far-right, because, at the end of the day, they mostly exist in the back woods and outside the public eye. I 100% understand that is not universally true, but I don't regard them as a growing segment of our population.  Conversely, the far-left is born and bread in our college institutions, and to a lesser extent our public schools, places where you have to go to be successful, and where you have to comport to do well. To be clear, they are both really bad, and I LOVE that "meet around the back" comment, as it is so true. I'm just saying that, moving forward, one scares me more than the other. 

But you are right, we've become super radicalized.  Use of the staw-man, which formerly was regarded as a bad logical fallacy, is now the basic premise of every political argument. 

Yea I'd say the far right scare me more but that probably comes down to perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Use of the staw-man, which formerly was regarded as a bad logical fallacy, is now the basic premise of every political argument. 

Yep. Cancel culture this, cancel culture that, yet nobody is actually cancelled; and the details of the warranted criticism are mostly ignored because we flail and yell CANCEL CULTURE!!

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm all for getting after anti-Semites for their bigotry.

Please stop referring to being Jewish as being a different race though. Holding a belief does not make them a different race. 

It’s an ethnoreligious group.  It’s not a pure belief system.  For example, I’m Jewish by birth but don’t believe in organized religion of any kind.  But I’m still Jewish and would certainly be considered part of the dangerous cabal by Farrakhan and his loon followers, something I was born into without choice.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

THEY ELECTED A...

oh forget it.

How can systemic racism be real, we elected a black president! 

See what I'm saying? Btw, most of what people use to justify calling Trump either far-right or a racist are just policies that Trump continued from prior administrations. The allegation is way overblown. Like it was when Bush was president, or when Romney and McCain ran for president. 

3 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Yep. Cancel culture this, cancel culture that, yet nobody is actually cancelled and the minutia of the warranted criticism is ignored because we flail and yell CANCEL CULTURE!!

I think the moment you have Noam Chomsky signing on to an open letter calling for an end to cancel culture, the concept should be accepted as more than just a straw-man. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Most of what the far left and right believe and push are just one kind of hustle or another.  Their arguments are drenched with emotions and anecdotal stories and myths.   Push them for details through logic and critical questioning and they come up empty.  The sad part is the 98% of us in the middle that got no problem or gripes with anybody and are just trying to beat out a living and take care of things get played back and forth.  

I was amused by your characterization of "back woods".   Maybe that's why I never really liked camping much!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

?

He must have been living in a cave for the last month with this.

"I wish people commented this much on a BLM topic"

Although silly, it doesn't deserve backlash.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

On this we should all be able to agree.

Anyone who disagrees, really doesn't hold an opinion worth merit/acknowledgment.

I don't think he needs to be cut or anything like that. Just think the guy is a pretty worthless human.

19 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Most of what the far left and right believe and push are just one kind of hustle or another.  Their arguments are drenched with emotions and anecdotal stories and myths.   Push them for details through logic and critical questioning and they come up empty.  The sad part is the 98% of us in the middle that got no problem or gripes with anybody and are just trying to beat out a living and take care of things get played back and forth.  

I was amused by your characterization of "back woods".   Maybe that's why I never really liked camping much!  

Same. I hate camping. Did it once as a kid and the next time my parents booked a camping holiday I told them very nicely I'd stay with grandparents at home instead. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I use the term DNA because I mean exactly that: at a fundamental level. We will balk whenever we are told what to do.  From a policy perspective, and after you get into the minuta of government, we are not a libertarian country.  

Oh gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I agree

1 hour ago, Rico said:

At one point in the comments he suggested that Jews didn't have it as bad as black people because it is 9 million deaths (the holocaust) v. 100 million deaths (the slave trade).  It was breathtaking. 

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Also, another thing to think about.  Did anyone now think Jackson was a moron before this?  He is a marginal nfl receiver.  I guarantee if he was Pat Mahomes or Russell Wilson, it would be a bigger deal.  

the bigger the bank account the more publicity  and consternation comments receive it is a Given. Celebrity sells.

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

At one point in the comments he suggested that Jews didn't have it as bad as black people because it is 9 million deaths (the holocaust) v. 100 million deaths (the slave trade).  It was breathtaking. 

The Oppression Olympics might be my least favorite aspect of this, the stupidest of all timelines.  Glass is a world class idiot

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Also, another thing to think about.  Did anyone now think Jackson was a moron before this?  He is a marginal nfl receiver.  I guarantee if he was Pat Mahomes or Russell Wilson, it would be a bigger deal.  

You mean like Riley Cooper?

I looked it up since you asked, and yes, players were very outspoken about it.

2 Cowboys DBs said that they expect he’ll get targeted by black opponents for it.

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4711498/cowboys-players-react-to-riley-cooper-slur?platform=amp

A few Giants voiced their displeasure about it.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-have-mixed-reactions-to-riley-cooper-s-racial-slur-1.5811972

His own teammates weighed in almost immediately. Shady said he forgives him, but doesn’t respect him anymore.

All of the above comments came within a day of the video going public.

Edited by thebandit27