DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Viewed from one perspective, you have a point.  Hitler was a genocidal maniac.

Viewed from another perspective (probably the perspective of those who reacted to it) Brees comments were about about re-framing a struggle against racism, specifically in this instance racist policing and a racist justice system, into an act of disrespect to the military and thus silencing or attempting to silence, that struggle.

I "get it" that you don't see it that way, but other people are entitled to see it differently.

I love it when people start predicting what would happen - based upon what evidence?  Patriots draft choice Jason Rohrwasser literally had a tattoo on his body supporting an anti-government extremist group with white supremicist ties whose members throw Nazi salutes, chant about Hitler, and shoot at peaceful demonstrators.  He hasn't even shown he can play in the league and it's still a total non-issue.  He apologized, said he didn't really realize what the group was all about and would certainly never, and had the tattoo removed.  The End.   

Do I believe that?  Not really - who the hell puts ink on their body without 5 minutes of research about what it represents?

I think that episode is evidence that if Fromm or Brees quoted Jackson or Wallace, they would say their remarks were taken out of context, they didn't realize or don't really support all that, apologize, and that would be that.

If you have counter evidence from something that has actually gone down in the NFL, please present it.  Otherwise I call shenanigans on the hypotheticals based on what's actually occurred.

There are a lot of examples out there, too many to go through and the remarks vary in how bad they were. Michael Richards said some pretty awful things after being heckled on stage and he has basically been ostracized from Hollywood for the past 15 years. It does not seem that he can ever be forgiven. Again remarks are horrible but they were remarks that were closer to what Jackson just said and has said previously or at least closer than what Drew Brees said. 
Another is Rosie O’Donnell. She makes fun of a black official and it was again distasteful but her show was canceled and she will likely never return to Hollywood. These are just a few of countless instances involving white peoples making bad comments. If you don’t think there is “black privilege” when it comes to saying bad things about other groups then you aren’t paying attention. There have been countless black actors and athletes who say terrible things and get blowback but then go back to there positions with all being basically forgotten within a few months. 

All I’d like to see is people being treated equally in all facets of life. I don’t want black people or Muslims being profiled in certain situations and I don’t want 2-3 times the outrage heaped on white people rather than persons of color when both make similarly awful comments. Playing favorites just leads to resentment and mistrust from all sides involved and it is not healthy. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The question youre looking for is where are the woke black people on this?

Starting to see a couple players call him out this morning. But again, its about the same level of reaction as Fromm got. So if you're looking for a "big win" here, you're gonna be disappointed.

It's already a "big win."

I have no desire to see anything happen to this guy. This is about as much heat as anyone should get for this kind of thing.

Desean is strongly anti-Semitic. I imagine he has similar feelings about white people, but I wouldn't feel any differently if he said the white man is the devil.

I don't demand that people like me or pretend to like me. Until he's inciting violence, and I don't mean in some abstract way, I support his right to say what he thinks without falling victim to the cancel culture lynch mob.

What's so glorious about this is the double standard being exposed for what it is. Not that it will have any lasting impact. By this time next week it will be forgotten and we'll be back to calling for people's heads over every minor transgression made by a member of the perceived oppressor group directed at a perceived victim group.

But for the moment it's entirely satisfying to watch those who sanctimoniously declare their impassioned devotion to certain principles implicitly (or in some cases explicitly) admit that they selectively apply those principles only when they conform to their bias or agenda.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

where are Jewish players such as Rosen and Edelman on this?  I’m not the social media maven - have they “broken their silence” to use the modern terms?

Maybe the question is, were Rosen and Edelman on their high horses about Police brutality, racism, etc?  If not, then it's not hypocritical for them to stay silent now

On the other hand, if they were peacocking to let the world know just how anti-racist they were and how they're one of the good ones, then yeah, i'd expect for them to also be upset about a moron praising Hitler

15 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Black people can't be racist?

Are you shi77ing me??? What do you think BLM is all about? Getting rid of white influence (people, etc).

BLM are the most racist voice active today. Just pretend otherwise, though.

That isn't really my point. My point is that we are so obsessed about what is and is not racist, we forgot that what really makes it so problematic is the behaviors that undergird racism -- prejudice, discrimination, bigotry -- go completely unchallenged.  Like, fine, black people cannot be racist in the sense that they are an oppressed group and white people have not suffered 100 of years of discrimination.  But they can still be prejudiced, discriminatory, and bigoted, and demonstrate all the messed up and terrible beliefs that presuppose and justify the dehumanizing outcome of racism. Fine, Jackson cannot be racist, but he can still be all the f-ed up things that make racism bad. 

8 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It's already a "big win."

I have no desire to see anything happen to this guy. This is about as much heat as anyone should get for this kind of thing.

Desean is strongly anti-Semitic. I imagine he has similar feelings about white people, but I wouldn't feel any differently if he said the white man is the devil.

I don't demand that people like me or pretend to like me. Until he's inciting violence, and I don't mean in some abstract way, I support his right to say what he thinks without falling victim to the cancel culture lynch mob.

What's so glorious about this is the double standard being exposed for what it is. Not that it will have any lasting impact. By this time next week it will be forgotten and we'll be back to calling for people's heads over every minor transgression made by a member of the perceived oppressor group directed at a perceived victim group.

But for the moment it's entirely satisfying to watch those who sanctimoniously declare their impassioned devotion to certain principles implicitly (or in some cases explicitly) admit that they selectively apply those principles only when they confirm to their bias or agenda.

There really is no disputing that cancel culture disproportionately punishes white men. It does not take into account your age or income status, as if you are a white male and make bad comments you will face greater scorn. 

I get it to some degree with “old white men” but even then there are a lot of old white guys who just went about there business and never harmed or tried to cause harm to any persons of color and they are lumped into a group. But for middle aged and younger white men, we grew up mostly wanting tolerance and many of our heroes growing up were black ie. Michael Jordan or Will Smith. The majority of us have and still have black friends and have never mistreated or tried to mistreat any persons of color. We grew up thinking that by the time we were this age we would not even be talking about this issue because there would be no issue. 

But the tensions between races have continued to some degree when it should be an all for one mentality by now. Much of the tension is caused by forces on the extreme sides of the issue. They are loud and provocative so their voices are heard especially in a day of social media where anyone can be heard. The mainstream media exasperates the problem by relentlessly focusing on bad incidents and yet not adding perspective and basic statistics. For example, there has not been a documented focused lynching in the US since 1981. Yet if you are a 13 year old black person and listened to the race baitors and media, its understandable you would think that you are under a real threat of being lynched. This is an extreme example and it is awful to think of but the young persons of color today seem to have the loudest voices along with the white kids of privilege as far as negativity toward white men and the “establishment”. Yet it was their parents and grandparents that were much more impacted. We elected a black president and the re-elected him for a second term for gods sake.

If a person of color can hold and maintain the most powerful position in the world for 8 years, how much systemic racism is really out there holding people down. Just like the me too movement started of with justified complaints, I do believe there were some justified BLM complaints. But much of that has been addressed in recent criminal justice reform legislation. There has come a point where the movement is never satisfied and continues to seek justice and blood. It is at that point that targeted groups begin to become resentful towards the constant attacks and rush to judgments. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

If a person of color can hold and maintain the most powerful position in the world for 8 years, how much systemic racism is really out there holding people down. Just like the me too movement started of with justified complaints, I do believe there were some justified BLM complaints. But much of that has been addressed in recent criminal justice reform legislation. There has come a point where the movement is never satisfied and continues to seek justice and blood. It is at that point that targeted groups begin to become resentful towards the constant attacks and rush to judgments. 

Many of the far-left movements of today ascribe to the belief that it is not about the ends but the means. In other words, the criticism must be perpetual, and to fuel the movement, there must always be an ever present "boogey-man."  Though never explicitly said, this is the basic premise of most critical pedagogies. It sort of makes sense, too, when you consider that the thing they are fighting is "systemic."  Absent destroying the system, which most agree will never happen, the only recourse is to stay in a critique posture. The problem is that, eventually, it stops becoming about achieving and overcoming, but maintaining a constant state of protest. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Absent destroying the system, which most agree will never happy

Dont look now,

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/tyler-o-neil/2020/07/07/ilhan-omar-calls-for-dismantling-americas-economy-and-political-system-to-root-out-oppression-n612588

Just in way of review, a woman who emigrated from a war torn Somalia and worked her way into the US House of Representatives believes the US should be dismantled and rebuilt in a more 'just' way. 

I agree with you, we're not going to burn the nation down to the waterline, but I will say, there are some very powerful people who have made that their explicit goal

Edited by dorquemada

9 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Dont look now,

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/tyler-o-neil/2020/07/07/ilhan-omar-calls-for-dismantling-americas-economy-and-political-system-to-root-out-oppression-n612588

Just in way of review, a woman who emigrated from a war torn Somalia and worked her way into the US House of Representatives believes the US should be dismantled and rebuilt in a more 'just' way. 

I agree with you, we're not going to burn the nation down to the waterline, but I will say, there are some very powerful people who have made that their explicit goal

Surrrre, quote my really stupid typo....

Yeah, I don't think there is a credible argument that there is not a strong wave of support in this country for fundamentally changing our way of life. Five years ago, people who made this suggestion were mocked as conspiracy theorists and white nationalists. Now that it has come to fruition, the people waving the flag are mocked as racists and idiots for not believing that this needs to happen. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

What I hate about a-lot of these articles is they don't cite or show the actual posts.  They just refer to them as offensive and racist and you have to track them down.  

Some stories like this are truly offensive and racist, other ones are borderline at best.  

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Libertarianism is in our DNA

On a fundamental level, sure. I think most of us want to be left alone. But as far as actual libertarianism policies are concerned, I disagree with most people have it in their DNA. 

2 minutes ago, delirious said:

On a fundamental level, sure. I think most of us want to be left alone. But as far as actual libertarianism policies are concerned, I disagree with most people have it in their DNA. 

I use the term DNA because I mean exactly that: at a fundamental level. We will balk whenever we are told what to do.  From a policy perspective, and after you get into the minuta of government, we are not a libertarian country.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Many of the far-left movements of today ascribe to the belief that it is not about the ends but the means. In other words, the criticism must be perpetual, and to fuel the movement, there must always be an ever present "boogey-man."  Though never explicitly said, this is the basic premise of most critical pedagogies. It sort of makes sense, too, when you consider that the thing they are fighting is "systemic."  Absent destroying the system, which most agree will never happen, the only recourse is to stay in a critique posture. The problem is that, eventually, it stops becoming about achieving and overcoming, but maintaining a constant state of protest. 

It isn't just the far left. It is the far right too. It is the way our discourse has gone. Create these ridiculous "boogey-man" caricatures of the problem and then focus on extreme means of vanquishing them. And in relation to this particular issue what @Coach Tuesday said a few pages back is absolute correct - anti-semitism is where the far left and far right meet around the back. The idea of the great Jewish conspiracy. 

Sadly I see no way of lifting our societal discourse out of the gutter when so much of it is conducted in 280 characters. It basically invites unnuanced hot takes. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, the coverage has been light. It happened two days ago. The coverage on TBD was light, it was a random link posted in an Eagles’ salary cap thread. Matthew Berry is asking if anyone in the NFL has actually come out against this.

I'll be honest.  When I saw a snippet of what DeSean posted, the antisemitism was apparent.  Like I knew it was there but I had no clue what the quote meant.  It sounded like some hair-brained conspiracy theory akin to the ones you hear about George Soros.  I just brushed it off.

I'd bet $1,000 that DeSean Jackson, himself, couldn't elaborate on what he posted, which makes it worse.  Ignorance begetting ignorance.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1