DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

One of these things is not like the other.

Brees disapproving of kneeling for the anthem is not the same as lovingly quoting Hitler, even if you're too ignorant to know that wasn't an actual Hitler quote. 

Viewed from one perspective, you have a point.  Hitler was a genocidal maniac.

Viewed from another perspective (probably the perspective of those who reacted to it) Brees comments were about about re-framing a struggle against racism, specifically in this instance racist policing and a racist justice system, into an act of disrespect to the military and thus silencing or attempting to silence, that struggle.

I "get it" that you don't see it that way, but other people are entitled to see it differently.

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

I'm sure it's already been said, but imagine the outrage if Fromm, or better yet, Brees, favorably quoted Stonewall Jackson, or George Wallace, they would have to add another order of magnitude to the outrage meter, and they would both be cut before the end of the day

I love it when people start predicting what would happen - based upon what evidence?  Patriots draft choice Jason Rohrwasser literally had a tattoo on his body supporting an anti-government extremist group with white supremicist ties whose members throw Nazi salutes, chant about Hitler, and shoot at peaceful demonstrators.  He hasn't even shown he can play in the league and it's still a total non-issue.  He apologized, said he didn't really realize what the group was all about and would certainly never, and had the tattoo removed.  The End.   

Do I believe that?  Not really - who the hell puts ink on their body without 5 minutes of research about what it represents?

I think that episode is evidence that if Fromm or Brees quoted Jackson or Wallace, they would say their remarks were taken out of context, they didn't realize or don't really support all that, apologize, and that would be that.

If you have counter evidence from something that has actually gone down in the NFL, please present it.  Otherwise I call shenanigans on the hypotheticals based on what's actually occurred.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe the guy who repeatedly dropped the ball before crossing the end zone is a complete moron.  I would cut him.  But then once again, it’s the same team that kept Riley Cooper, who I also would have cut.

Oh we definitely agree he's a moron and I don't think he should be cut. Just dragged through the mud for being the ahole he is.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The story is there's not equality in condemning hate.  

this is it.  also, there's supposedly a different culture now where there should be more tolerance and awareness.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought that maybe too but the Atlanta Dream owner is a Senator and they want her out of the league.

I just don’t why people aren’t smart enough to just kept their thoughts to themselves and read the room.  Our country has never been dumber. 

Just now, LB3 said:

Oh we definitely agree he's a moron and I don't think he should be cut. Just dragged through the mud for being the ahole he is.

Any guy who is like let me post this Hitler quote is too dumb to be on my team.  Plus, he is washed up anyways.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Any guy who is like let me post this Hitler quote is too dumb to be on my team.  Plus, he is washed up anyways.  

Yikes. I was thinking of his 2018 numbers. After seeing 2019 numbers, yeah, I'd cut him.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do see your point to an extent.  But Julian Edelman, one of the few Jewish players, hasn’t said anything.  And I feel most players think Jackson is an idiot.  But I do see your point.

but I guess, for better or worse, people tend to stick to the issues that affect them. When something happens to a trans person, do you expect Sammy Watkins to call them out?  And again, it seems athletes are held to higher standards than politicians (unless they can use it to pander to their base). 

is this the point of the last few months?  whether or not the situation directly affects them shouldn't matter right?  we're all trying to make changes towards more tolerance, correct?

for some reason, you seem to pick and choose what you feel is appropriate.  you become outraged and call people on here racists, yet you were on here making fun of people for their height, and was making fun of a woman's appearance.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think because something like 70% of the NFL players are black, grew up in black families, usually in minority-dominated communities, they might naturally be expected to have more concern and be more vocal about issues that they perceive to affect them and their families and communities directly?  Maybe the players care more about black issues because they have seen the effects of racism up close and personal in their own lives? 

There are relatively few Jewish players in the NFL.  HEY!  WHAT HAS ROSEN SAID ABOUT THIS?  Has he totally failed to speak up?

It's just strange to me because one of the criticisms I sometimes read about people with a liberal bent, from people with a conservative bent, is that liberals are "social justice warriors" and "white knights" who get all worked up about every perceived injustice or slight in the world.  Isn't the implication of the phrase "social justice warrior", someone who is reactive against every slight to social justice whether or not they are personally and philosophically concerned?

Now that black players are not all individually and publically worked up about an instance of anti-semitism that has been condemned by the NFL, condemned by the team, apologized for by the player and removed, that's a problem?  Maybe...they aren't "social justice warriors" but men who are concerned about issues that affect them?

I don't get it.  Actually, I think I do get it but I'll stop there.

That's kind of the point. Where are all the woke white people on this?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Viewed from one perspective, you have a point.  Hitler was a genocidal maniac.

Viewed from another perspective (probably the perspective of those who reacted to it) Brees comments were about about re-framing a struggle against racism, specifically in this instance racist policing and a racist justice system, into an act of disrespect to the military and thus silencing or attempting to silence, that struggle.

Viewed from one perspective?  Is there an alternate perspective, where praising Hitler isn't really a horrifyingly ignorant and racist thing to do?

The fact that we're having this debate at all is a great case study in how our primary and secondary education systems have utterly failed us. 

"well you know that hitler, he sure had some good points!"  - a tremendous idiot

12 minutes ago, teef said:

is this the point of the last few months?  whether or not the situation directly affects them shouldn't matter right?  we're all trying to make changes towards more tolerance, correct?

for some reason, you seem to pick and choose what you feel is appropriate.  you become outraged and call people on here racists, yet you were on here making fun of people for their height, and was making fun of a woman's appearance.  

Somehow 'more tolerance' seems to be resulting in less tolerance. 

It's almost like people skipped the lessons of the French Revolution in 9th grade.  Actually, it's worse than that, the lessons of the French Revolution (and China's Cultural Revolution/Great Leap Forward) aren't even being taught any more.  When i was in 9th grade in 1984, we spent a full 2 weeks in US History class on the French Revolution.  My son took it last year in a good USNY school district, and they spent 2 days on it. 

For those of you with more recent graduation dates, the main lesson of those two historical atrocities is that Vanguard of every revolution ends up getting the guillotine by the very people who agitated them into action in the first place.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, teef said:

My stalker!!! I’ve consolidated Jackson is a moron, he can get cut, and I do wish players called him out.  Not sure what your point is other than you are obsessed with me (trust me, I’ve had my share of stalkers over the years.  Much prettier than you I assume).

and alpha Ben Shapiro is a little beta boy.  And if the racist shoe fits...

8 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Viewed from one perspective?  Is there an alternate perspective, where praising Hitler isn't really a horrifyingly ignorant and racist thing to do?

The fact that we're having this debate at all is a great case study in how our primary and secondary education systems have utterly failed us. 

"well you know that hitler, he sure had some good points!"  - a tremendous idiot

Somehow 'more tolerance' seems to be resulting in less tolerance. 

It's almost like people skipped the lessons of the French Revolution in 9th grade.  Actually, it's worse than that, the lessons of the French Revolution (and China's Cultural Revolution/Great Leap Forward) aren't even being taught any more.  When i was in 9th grade in 1984, we spent a full 2 weeks in US History class on the French Revolution.  My son took it last year in a good USNY school district, and they spent 2 days on it. 

For those of you with more recent graduation dates, the main lesson of those two historical atrocities is that Vanguard of every revolution ends up getting the guillotine by the very people who agitated them into action in the first place.

Don’t be hateful.  Not really hard.  And if you are, you lose your job.  Jackson could lose his job and no one would shed a tear.  Don’t post Hitler quotes.  Not really hard.  Don’t go racist rants in a park.  Don’t aim a gun at peaceful protestors.  Don’t post racist/ sexist/ homophobic tweets.  It’s really not hard. 

14 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's kind of the point. Where are all the woke white people on this?

The question youre looking for is where are the woke black people on this?

Starting to see a couple players call him out this morning. But again, its about the same level of reaction as Fromm got. So if you're looking for a "big win" here, you're gonna be disappointed.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

My stalker!!! I’ve consolidated Jackson is a moron, he can get cut, and I do wish players called him out.  Not sure what your point is other than you are obsessed with me (trust me, I’ve had my share of stalkers over the years.  Much prettier than you I assume).

i'm not at the stalker level yet, but i do like calling you out.  something tells me you've never had a stalker.  something tells me you tend to turn people off.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, teef said:

In the abstractly, in principle - yes.  We should all care about injustice and intolerance everywhere.

Realistically - it's never been that way, and it's never likely to be that way.  Most people can't be outraged about everything.  They choose what issues are of most concern to them to speak out about. 

What I see is that athletes, particularly outspoken black athletes, are held to a different standard by some people than, say, politicians.  It's held to diminish the sincerity or genuineness of their concern if they speak out against one issue that is of particular concern to them, but not another issue that others feel they should be equally outraged about, based on that person's personal perception of the relative severity of what happened.

I don't buy it.

29 minutes ago, teef said:

Please don't make it too personal

But yes, in the abstract, Yes!  Exactly!  That's the point!  Everyone picks and chooses what issues they deem most concerning.  Bingo.  That's just how it is.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The question youre looking for is where are the woke black people on this?

Starting to see a couple players call him out this morning. But again, its about the same level of reaction as Fromm got. So if you're looking for a "big win" here, you're gonna be disappointed.

No, the woke black people are mostly cool, the woke white people are the funny ones. :D

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the abstractly, in principle - yes.  We should all care about injustice and intolerance everywhere.

Realistically - it's never been that way, and it's never likely to be that way.  Most people can't be outraged about everything.  They choose what issues are of most concern to them to speak out about. 

What I see is that athletes, particularly outspoken black athletes, are held to a different standard by some people than, say, politicians.  It's held to diminish the sincerity or genuineness of their concern if they speak out against one issue that is of particular concern to them, but not another issue that others feel they should be equally outraged about, based on that person's personal perception of the relative severity of what happened.

I don't buy it.

Please don't make it too personal

But yes, in the abstract, Yes!  Exactly!  That's the point!  Everyone picks and chooses what issues they deem most concerning.  Bingo.  That's just how it is.

i agree with the bolded, but this is part of the problem.  i don't want people to be outraged by all injustices...it's not possible, but then don't expect the same from me.  i've already seen this cry for tolerance for what works for the individual, but when it doesn't involve them...meh?  nah.  i know this isn't as cut and dry as i'm making it out to be.  i'm all for the blm movement, but in reality, it doesn't affect my life at all.  since it doesn't affect my life at all, should i not be concerned about it?  that's what we're seeing here.  people are deciding what they should be tolerant of.  this won't work.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Don’t be hateful.  Not really hard.  And if you are, you lose your job.  Jackson could lose his job and no one would shed a tear.  Don’t post Hitler quotes.  Not really hard.  Don’t go racist rants in a park.  Don’t aim a gun at peaceful protestors.  Don’t post racist/ sexist/ homophobic tweets.  It’s really not hard. 

OK who decides if you are hateful?  There are obvious situations, like say, lovingly quoting Hitler, then there are less obvious ones.  Especially as we continually redefine what is acceptable and what isn't.  Like I said in the Fromm thread, anyone in the NFL or popular culture who has said a single work criticizing someone as a racist, i want to see their entire text message and xbox/playstation live transcripts.  Every single one.  I guarantee you that 100% of them have racist/homophobic/transphobic/ageist remarks.  If we're serious about cancel culture, then every single person is going to get cancelled. 

Just now, teef said:

i agree with the bolded, but this is part of the problem.  i don't want people to be outraged by all injustices...it's not possible, but then don't expect the same from me.  i've already seen this cry for tolerance for what works for the individual, but when it doesn't involve them...meh?  nah.  i know this isn't as cut and dry as i'm making it out to be.  i'm all for the blm movement, but in reality, it doesn't affect my life at all.  since it doesn't affect my life at all, should i not be concerned about it?  that's what we're seeing here.  people are deciding what they should be tolerant of.  this won't work.

This is the problem with this whole movement. It demands that people back it whether they want to or not. And if not, it vilifies said people. It's illiberal and illogical.

I don't know anyone who isn't sickened by the Floyd situation. But I don't know many that like what they're seeing happening around them recently, either.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

If we're serious about cancel culture, then every single person is going to get cancelled. 

Not sure cancel culture is the term you are looking for here... What NFL player has been "cancelled" in the past 10 years outside of Kaepernick?

Incognito? (No)

Brees? (No)

IK Punch Thrower? (No)

DeSean Jackson? (No)

Riley Cooper? (No)

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  They kept Cooper who used hate speech.  So if they keep Jackson, it seems like they are doing the same thing with Cooper.  

personally, I would be fine with both of those idiots being cut.  They weren’t that good anyways (Jackson is washed). 

I think you’re confused.

I didn’t say he should be cut. I said that I want to see if other players speak out against this type of commentary in light of the current outspokenness regarding racism.

So far, I’ve seen no single NFL player condemn it. Former NFLer Ryan Clark has, as had the Eagles organization.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This is the problem with this whole movement. It demands that people back it whether they want to or not. And if not, it vilifies said people. It's illiberal and illogical.

I don't know anyone who isn't sickened by the Floyd situation. But I don't know many that like what they're seeing happening around them recently, either.

Yeah the pendulum is swinging pretty hard into the IngSoc territory now where language is completely fluid and words and phrases redefined at a speed that pretty much guarantees that even the most woke will touch the third rail at some point.  This will continue until the adults in the room stop giving power to morons on Twitter

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Not sure cancel culture is the term you are looking for here... What NFL player has been "cancelled" in the past 10 years outside of Kaepernick?

Incognito? (No)

Brees? (No)

IK Punch Thrower? (No)

DeSean Jackson? (No)

Riley Cooper? (No)

I'm talking about culture as a whole, not just the NFL.  Also, Kaepernick has had multiple chances to get back in the league but he's not an idiot.  He got benched for Blaine Gabbert for Pete's sake, and making way more on his grift solemn role at Nike than he was ever going to make playing QB. 

• Like (+1) 3