DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

5 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

You mean that being demonized in the media and from players around the league was nothing. They were told they would have to work hard to earn the trust of there teammates back in order to be accepted. That is something. And for what there comments were and the ages they said them, I don’t really think any more punishment was warranted. Do you? 

Fromm said only elite white people should have guns.  I believe he is kidding but that is absolutely a stupid thing to put out there.  

but again, a rookie (who isn’t that good imo) had one zoom meeting and the team moved on and no ones cares about Fromm anymore.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah and his comments divided the locker room.  Is Jackson's comments dividing the Eagles locker room now?  The backlash is no where near it.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/1/4579906/riley-cooper-remarks-eagles-teammates-2013-nfl-season

They kept him on the team and he didn’t miss a game.  Take up your cause with Julian Edelman. 

again, Jackson is a moron and no one would be sad if he’s cut.  So what’s the story?  

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Social media will be the end of mankind...

in addition to being offended, And saying/writing/doing offensive things, there is also this newer evolution of a polarity where people are either; offended that other others aren’t offended enough, or offended that others are as offended As they are. 

I agree with general post but it’s too lazy to blame social media.  Social media is great if used correctly.  I kinda like it because it catches people being idiots and they can’t hide anymore.  I do think the biggest issue is how everyone overreacts the second a story comes out.  

but just go to dog twitter pages and make yourself happy.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

They kept him on the team and he didn’t miss a game.  Take up your cause with Julian Edelman. 

again, Jackson is a moron and no one would be sad if he’s cut.  So what’s the story?  

Blatant antisemitism which appears to be a non issue for almost the entirety of the leagues players? Other than that though, nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because he keep repeating the same stupid argument.  And everything was prefaced with Brees is a good guy.

but how many white players called out Riley Cooper?  

Mike asked if players call each other out. I answered.

And I don’t know how many called out Cooper.

Does it matter? Was it anywhere near the same situation as now?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fromm said only elite white people should have guns.  I believe he is kidding but that is absolutely a stupid thing to put out there.  

but again, a rookie (who isn’t that good imo) had one zoom meeting and the team moved on and no ones cares about Fromm anymore.  

Yes, we can agree it was stupid but like I said in the original post he put haha after that. If he had followed that up with a plan to actually make rich white people be the only ones able to buy assault weapons then that would have be a clear act of racism. The man was likely joking and again it was in poor taste but he did put the haha in the text for a reason. I’m not sure what else Fromm could do but apologize to the team over zoom because they are not meeting in person. And I’m not sure if you have ever had to apologize to a group of men that you don’t really know but it is likely not the most comfortable thing to do and if Fromm is a good person the whole issue was probably agonizing to him. But I’m context, what else more could be done. Should he be banned from the league, a league that has given second and third chances to people who have committed actual crimes and have harmed people? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

It is nothing but complete hypocrisy. You have players like Fromm who has a private text chain released from a person who likely has an agenda. The post when read without any context is not flattering to say the least but conveniently the haha parts are often left out of the discussion where Fromm could easily have been making a joking that was in poor taste but not meant to be racist. Allen was quickly vilified for his posts from when they were 14 and 15 years old. Essentially, he was quoting rap lyrics and he was labeled a racist and had to work hard to earn the trust of his teammates. The Brees issue is a joke, he basically states that he is not think it is right to kneel during the anthem (something many others also agree with) but he is torn apart for his opinion. There was no honest debate, there was no trying to see the other side, it was you don’t see it the way BLM sees it so you are wrong and are on the side of racists. Apologize now or be labeled a racist and Brees caved and apologized for having an opposite viewpoint on a complicated issue. 

Jackson on the other hand makes overly racist and dangerous remarks and there is barely a peep from his peers.

Do you think because something like 70% of the NFL players are black, grew up in black families, usually in minority-dominated communities, they might naturally be expected to have more concern and be more vocal about issues that they perceive to affect them and their families and communities directly?  Maybe the players care more about black issues because they have seen the effects of racism up close and personal in their own lives? 

There are relatively few Jewish players in the NFL.  HEY!  WHAT HAS ROSEN SAID ABOUT THIS?  Has he totally failed to speak up?

It's just strange to me because one of the criticisms I sometimes read about people with a liberal bent, from people with a conservative bent, is that liberals are "social justice warriors" and "white knights" who get all worked up about every perceived injustice or slight in the world.  Isn't the implication of the phrase "social justice warrior", someone who is reactive against every slight to social justice whether or not they are personally and philosophically concerned?

Now that black players are not all individually and publically worked up about an instance of anti-semitism that has been condemned by the NFL, condemned by the team, apologized for by the player and removed, that's a problem?  Maybe...they aren't "social justice warriors" but men who are concerned about issues that affect them?

I don't get it.  Actually, I think I do get it but I'll stop there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The story is there's not equality in condemning hate.  

I do see your point to an extent.  But Julian Edelman, one of the few Jewish players, hasn’t said anything.  And I feel most players think Jackson is an idiot.  But I do see your point.

but I guess, for better or worse, people tend to stick to the issues that affect them. When something happens to a trans person, do you expect Sammy Watkins to call them out?  And again, it seems athletes are held to higher standards than politicians (unless they can use it to pander to their base). 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Mike asked if players call each other out. I answered.

And I don’t know how many called out Cooper.

Does it matter? Was it anywhere near the same situation as now?

A white guy calling someone the n word in a sport where the majority of players are black?  How would that not matter?  

and he kept his job and I’m sure a certain part of the fanbase was very happy with that.  

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You have a point there.

Nothing has happened to Brees. 

Nothing has happened to the Patriots draft choice with the three percenter tattoo.

They both said "so sorry, didn't realize what it really meant, Me bad!" and Rohrwasser had his tattoo removed.  That seems to be the end.

One of these things is not like the other.

Brees disapproving of kneeling for the anthem is not the same as lovingly quoting Hitler, even if you're too ignorant to know that wasn't an actual Hitler quote. 

I'm sure it's already been said, but imagine the outrage if Fromm, or better yet, Brees, favorably quoted Stonewall Jackson, or George Wallace, they would have to add another order of magnitude to the outrage meter, and they would both be cut before the end of the day

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think because something like 70% of the NFL players are black, grew up in black families, usually in minority-dominated communities, they might naturally be expected to have more concern and be more vocal about issues that they perceive to affect them and their families and communities directly?  Maybe the players care more about black issues because they have seen the effects of racism up close and personal in their own lives? 

There are relatively few Jewish players in the NFL.  HEY!  WHAT HAS ROSEN SAID ABOUT THIS?  Has he totally failed to speak up?

It's just strange to me because one of the criticisms I sometimes read about people with a liberal bent, from people with a conservative bent, is that liberals are "social justice warriors" and "white knights" who get all worked up about every perceived injustice or slight in the world.  Isn't the implication of the phrase "social justice warrior", someone who is reactive against every slight to social justice whether or not they are personally and philosophically concerned?

Now that black players are not all individually and publically worked up about an instance of anti-semitism that has been condemned by the NFL, condemned by the team, apologized for by the player and removed, that's a problem?  Maybe...they aren't "social justice warriors" but men who are concerned about issues that affect them?

Oh please, continue.

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

One of these things is not like the other.

Brees disapproving of kneeling for the anthem is not the same as lovingly quoting Hitler, even if you're too ignorant to know that wasn't an actual Hitler quote. 

I'm sure it's already been said, but imagine the outrage if Fromm, or better yet, Brees, favorably quoted Stonewall Jackson, or George Wallace, they would have to add another order of magnitude to the outrage meter, and they would both be cut before the end of the day

Riley Cooper is on film calling someone the n word!  He stayed on the team the entire year. Fromm said elite whites should have guns.  There was “outrage” for a day. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do see your point to an extent.  But Julian Edelman, one of the few Jewish players, hasn’t said anything.  And I feel most players think Jackson is an idiot.  But I do see your point.

but I guess, for better or worse, people tend to stick to the issues that affect them. When something happens to a trans person, do you expect Sammy Watkins to call them out?  And again, it seems athletes are held to higher standards than politicians (unless they can use it to pander to their base). 

A white guy calling someone the n word in a sport where the majority of players are black?  How would that not matter?  

and he kept his job and I’m sure a certain part of the fanbase was very happy with that.  

Does it matter with regard to the current situation is the point.

Do we really want to go the “what about” route?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All this implies is that certain bad things can be said from NFL players and there should be limited blowback because of the makeup of the players. By your reasoning, players can blast gays or women and receive less scorn because there are no women they have as teammates and few gays in the lockeroom compared to their heterosexual teammates. I think everyone with a brain realizes that there are issues in black communities that other races that don’t live in those communities have to face. Many have to do with past transgressions and are not applicable to the present day and other issues persist. Some are issues of mistrust and some are issues that the community members themselves need to address and be accountable for. So I do see that black players may be more sensitive to certain remarks but at the same time we as a country start to move forward rather than continually looking back. There has to be a level of trust and forgiveness on all sides so that we can move forward as one country. And there will continue to be bad acts as every group has its share of bad apples. So if a bad apple does something wrong we need to be careful not to label the rest of the group as bad. That is stereotyping and it is generally not healthy to do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with general post but it’s too lazy to blame social media.  Social media is great if used correctly.  I kinda like it because it catches people being idiots and they can’t hide anymore.  I do think the biggest issue is how everyone overreacts the second a story comes out.  

but just go to dog twitter pages and make yourself happy.  

The problem with social media is it’s the amplifier for the extremists that lacked any such platform in the past. 

I don’t blame the technology, I blame humankind for turning it into something to promote division instead of unity. 

Just now, racketmaster said:

All this implies is that certain bad things can be said from NFL players and there should be limited blowback because of the makeup of the players. By your reasoning, players can blast gays or women and receive less scorn because there are no women they have as teammates and few gays in the lockeroom compared to their heterosexual teammates. I think everyone with a brain realizes that there are issues in black communities that other races that don’t live in those communities have to face. Many have to do with past transgressions and are not applicable to the present day and other issues persist. Some are issues of mistrust and some are issues that the community members themselves need to address and be accountable for. So I do see that black players may be more sensitive to certain remarks but at the same time we as a country start to move forward rather than continually looking back. There has to be a level of trust and forgiveness on all sides so that we can move forward as one country. And there will continue to be bad acts as every group has its share of bad apples. So if a bad apple does something wrong we need to be careful not to label the rest of the group as bad. That is stereotyping and it is generally not healthy to do. 

DeSean, 2011.

Responding presumably to accounts of his comments in the media, Jackson took to Twitter on Friday night, saying he was "standing tall" despite the negative publicity.

Deadspin.com first reported the comments, with audio provided by DCFanatic.com.

In his cryptic Twitter-style message written in all capital letters, Jackson wrote: "They looking to take ya down at all times no matter how positive and what you do! It's always a way they try to get ya. I'm standing tall."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=6751846

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Does it matter with regard to the current situation is the point.

Do we really want to go the “what about” route?

Huh?  They kept Cooper who used hate speech.  So if they keep Jackson, it seems like they are doing the same thing with Cooper.  

personally, I would be fine with both of those idiots being cut.  They weren’t that good anyways (Jackson is washed). 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought that maybe too but the Atlanta Dream owner is a Senator and they want her out of the league.