DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The coverage has been light?  A quick google search and it pops up everywhere.  It will be talked about on every major sporting outlet today, without fail.

This high standard that athletes are held to is crazy to me.  They spoke out on what they know.  Systemic racism, police brutality, etc. against people of color.  Now they have to be on the front lines of all racism and inequality to be taken seriously?  Is this for all athletes or only black athletes?

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about anti-semitic tropes or the argument of Black Hebrew Israelites.

I fully understand that what Jackson said was ignorant, hurtful and that he should be disciplined for it.  That said, I'm not sure I'd go on a Twitter rant blasting him for it.

It's about the hypocrisy.  The WNBA owner makes negative statements towards BLM....they want her out of the league because you can't have someone in the league making racist remarks.  DeSean Jackson makes anti-semitic remarks by quoting Hitler and he will get picked up by another team if he is released.  

This story isn't anywhere near as big as Donald Sterling, Drew Brees, John Rocker etc.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The coverage has been light?  A quick google search and it pops up everywhere.  It will be talked about on every major sporting outlet today, without fail.

This high standard that athletes are held to is crazy to me.  They spoke out on what they know.  Systemic racism, police brutality, etc. against people of color.  Now they have to be on the front lines of all racism and inequality to be taken seriously?  Is this for all athletes or only black athletes?

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about anti-semitic tropes or the argument of Black Hebrew Israelites.

I fully understand that what Jackson said was ignorant, hurtful and that he should be disciplined for it.  That said, I'm not sure I'd go on a Twitter rant blasting him for it.

Some folks here hold athletes to a higher standard than they do the president. Sad!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yeah, the coverage has been light. It happened two days ago. The coverage on TBD was light, it was a random link posted in an Eagles’ salary cap thread. Matthew Berry is asking if anyone in the NFL has actually come out against this.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It took one phone call and all the players forgave Brees.

And now some “fans” turned on Brees because he had the nerve to try and learn. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yeah, the coverage has been light. It happened two days ago. The coverage on TBD was light, it was a random link posted in an Eagles’ salary cap thread. Matthew Berry is asking if anyone in the NFL has actually come out against this.

It’s the top headline on the ESPN homepage. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Well, heck, if it's not the center of TBD then NO ONE in the country must be talking about it. :D

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It is nothing but complete hypocrisy. You have players like Fromm who has a private text chain released from a person who likely has an agenda. The post when read without any context is not flattering to say the least but conveniently the haha parts are often left out of the discussion where Fromm could easily have been making a joke that was in poor taste but not meant to be racist. Allen was quickly vilified for his posts from when he was 14 and 15 years old. Essentially, he was quoting rap lyrics and he was labeled a racist and had to work hard to earn the trust of his teammates. The Brees issue is a joke, he basically states that he does not think it is right to kneel during the anthem (something many others also agree with) but he is torn apart for his opinion. There was no honest debate, there was no trying to see the other side, it was you don’t see it the way BLM sees it so you are wrong and are on the side of racists. Apologize now or be labeled a racist and Brees caved and apologized for having an opposite viewpoint on a complicated issue. 

Jackson on the other hand makes overtly racist and dangerous remarks and there is barely a peep from his peers. No Tre White’s condemning him right away. No, he just needs to be educated and apologize and all is immediately forgiven. No need to earn the trust back overtime. I’m not even go to try and list the countless insensitive remarks made by black athletes and entertainers toward other races, sexes and gays. The treatment is always the same, just try and educate yourself and apologize and you are forgiven. There is no being ostracized for years or having to actually put in the work to earn people’s trust back. A simple apology is all that it takes. And I’m fine with that if we treated all people the same. But just as the me too movement started to go too far and dig up every text, post, action in the past and label men rapists and sexists sometimes without any proof, this BLM movement is heading down the same path. 

I understand there are bad people out there. There are actual racists and believe it or not there are racists among all the races as hard as that might be to believe among some people. There are sexist pigs, there are just plain bad people. Those are the people that based on evidence and clear pattern of behavior should be scorned and punished. But the sanctions should be distributed equally.

I mean, is that not what we as good people want. That we all just get treated the same no matter our race, sex, religious beliefs. If you are a dirtbag than you should be treated as one no matter your background. I do believe there are extremists on both the left and the right. These are generally the bad and misguided people and they are trying to pull out country apart. I believe there are enough good people out there with some common sense, but as the days go on I am beginning to question if there are enough people in the middle and whether they want to do anything about it rather than get bullied in one direction or the other. Our country depends on this group so I hope they stand up soon like a parent needs to do at times and take control of this situation. 

Edited by racketmaster

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

And it's the 5th topic on NFL.com.  

It's not anywhere near John Rocker, Donald Sterling or Drew Brees stories.

Riley Cooper screamed the n word at concert and didn’t miss a game.  

What do you want?  

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

It is nothing but complete hypocrisy. You have players like Fromm who has a private text chain released from a person who likely has an agenda. The post when read without any context is not flattering to say the least but conveniently the haha parts are often left out of the discussion where Fromm could easily have been making a joking that was in poor taste but not meant to be racist. Allen was quickly vilified for his posts from when they were 14 and 15 years old. Essentially, he was quoting rap lyrics and he was labeled a racist and had to work hard to earn the trust of his teammates. The Brees issue is a joke, he basically states that he is not think it is right to kneel during the anthem (something many others also agree with) but he is torn apart for his opinion. There was no honest debate, there was no trying to see the other side, it was you don’t see it the way BLM sees it so you are wrong and are on the side of racists. Apologize now or be labeled a racist and Brees caved and apologized for having an opposite viewpoint on a complicated issue. 

Jackson on the other hand makes overly racist and dangerous remarks and there is barely a peep from his peers. No Tre White’s condemning him right away. No, he just needs to be educated and apologize and all is immediately forgiven. No need to earn the trust back overtime. I’m not even go to try and list the countless incentive remarks made by black athletes and entertainers toward other races, sexes and gays. The treatment is always the same, just try and educate yourself and apologize and you are forgiven. There is no being ostracized for years or having to actually put in the work to earn people’s trust back. A simple apology is all that it takes. And I’m fine with that if we treated all people the same. But just as the me too movement started to go too far and dig up every text, post, action in the past and label men rapists and sexists sometimes without any proof, this BLM movement is heading down the same path. 

I understand there are people out there. There are actual racists and believe it or not there are racists among all the races as hard as that might be to believe among some people. There are sexist pigs, there are just plain bad people. Those are the people that based on evidence and clear pattern of behavior should be scorned and punished. But the sanctions should be distributed equally.

I mean, is that not what we as good people want. That we all just get treated the same no matter our race, sex, religious beliefs. If you are a dirtbag than you should be treated as one no matter your background. I do believe there are extremists on both the left and the right. These are generally the bad and misguided people and they are trying to pull out country apart. I believe there are enough good people out there with some common sense, but as the days go on I am beginning to question if there are enough people in the middle and whether they want to do anything about it rather than get bullied in one direction or the other. Our country depends on this group so I hope they stand up soon like a parent needs to do at times and take control of this situation. 

Literally nothing happened to Fromm or Allen.

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some folks here hold athletes to a higher standard than they do the president. Sad!

You have a point there.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you want?  

Nothing has happened to Brees. 

Nothing has happened to the Patriots draft choice with the three percenter tattoo.

They both said "so sorry, didn't realize what it really meant, Me bad!" and Rohrwasser had his tattoo removed.  That seems to be the end.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Awesome, can I play the Whatabout Game too?

<consults Russian right-wing troll manual>

Let’s see?  DJ immediately apologized and took back his statement.  How come I’m not hearing complaints about the PC Thought Police bullying him into changing his tune?  Didn’t you complain about that with Brees and Fromm?  I thought it was a free country and we can say whatever we want?  How come you complained about it then, but not now?  Well, I guess:

- You’re a hypocrite

- Everything you’ve said on this topic is invalid

- You must really not care about free speech

- The above is unchangeable and ever-lasting 

- Your ancestors will laugh at you until the end of time 

- Your neighbor will soon start tapping your wife

This is fun!  Yay, culture wars!!

???

Keep going.

Social media will be the end of mankind...

in addition to being offended, And saying/writing/doing offensive things, there is also this newer evolution of a polarity where people are either; offended that other others aren’t offended enough, or offended that others are as offended As they are. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

It is nothing but complete hypocrisy. You have players like Fromm who has a private text chain released from a person who likely has an agenda. The post when read without any context is not flattering to say the least but conveniently the haha parts are often left out of the discussion where Fromm could easily have been making a joking that was in poor taste but not meant to be racist. Allen was quickly vilified for his posts from when they were 14 and 15 years old. Essentially, he was quoting rap lyrics and he was labeled a racist and had to work hard to earn the trust of his teammates.

Literally nothing happened to Fromm or Allen. Even by all player accounts, Allen had one single conversation with the team about it and everyone moved on. Same deal for Fromm. Rightfully so, as they weren't big deals.

I'm absolutely not excusing what Jackson did, but I would also absolutely classify it in the same group as the Fromm/Allen stuff. Idiots on phones.

Discuss it, learn from it, grow from it, and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you want?  

You mean that being demonized in the media and from players around the league was nothing. They were told they would have to work hard to earn the trust of there teammates back in order to be accepted. That is something. And for what there comments were and the ages they said them, I don’t really think any more punishment was warranted. Do you? 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What do you want?  

Yeah and his comments divided the locker room.  Is Jackson's comments dividing the Eagles locker room now?  The backlash is no where near it.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/1/4579906/riley-cooper-remarks-eagles-teammates-2013-nfl-season

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Literally nothing happened to Fromm or Allen. Even by all player accounts, Allen had one single conversation with the team about it and everyone moved on. Same deal for Fromm. Rightfully so, as they weren't big deals.

I'm absolutely not excusing what Jackson did, but I would also absolutely classify it in the same group as the Fromm/Allen stuff. Idiots on phones.

Discuss it, learn from it, grow from it, and move on.

Again, this is not correct. Both Fromm and Allen had to stand up in front of their teammates and apologize. They met with the team leaders and they were told they needed to earn the trust of their teammates back overtime. Allen has done that, we shall see with Fromm. Again, how bad were their comments. Allen’s were almost ridiculous considering the age he made them and that he was quoting rap lyrics. Let’s go back into everyone’s social media and texts from when they were 13 and 15 years old. I’m sure there are so things that without context or even with context that we would all want back because at that age you are just an immature kid. Again they both faced major blowback from the media and scrutiny from their teammates. They never did any overt acts to harm anyone nor committed any crimes so I’m not sure how much more punishment they deserved.

• Like (+1) 1