DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, wait, don't tell me...because you agree that people get to choose what injustices they'll speak out against, and there isn't (and shouldn't be) a moral "litmus test" where  I'm not allowed to speak out about one injustice or what one person says, unless I demonstrate equal upset and outspokenness about whatever you deem unjust or offensive?

I'm gonna guess that's not what you had in mind.

I agree with you, but most of the woke folks do not. In fact, for the first month after St. George was killed the common refrain was that if you spoke against the riots but hadn't spoken out against cops you were a racist.

You may not have, but a whole lotta people who are real damn quiet right now were shouting that ***** from the rooftops.

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I agree with you, but most of the woke folks do not. In fact, for the first month after St. George was killed the common refrain was that if you spoke against the riots but hadn't spoken out against cops you were a racist.

You may not have, but a whole lotta people who are real damn quiet right now were shouting that ***** from the rooftops.

The difference being that the riots were in response to the murder. That’s an important distinction.

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

I also just want to say the color of Desean Jacksons skin is to me irrelevant. He could be chartreuse green and Id be offended by what he quoted.

Just to give you a heads up, that's a term of white fragility used by racists. You may want to avoid it.

I know you guys aren't privy to all the new *****, but that's what you have me here for.

???

This whole thing just tickles the ***** out of me. Everyone's been insanely hypersensitive about everything racism for weeks.

This mother *****r literally praised HITLER, in context, and the same people are now resorting to mental contortions to justify their apathy. ?

This thread made my whole week.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Awesome, can I play the Whatabout Game too?

<consults Russian right-wing troll manual>

Let’s see?  DJ immediately apologized and took back his statement.  How come I’m not hearing complaints about the PC Thought Police bullying him into changing his tune?  Didn’t you complain about that with Brees and Fromm?  I thought it was a free country and we can say whatever we want?  How come you complained about it then, but not now?  Well, I guess:

- You’re a hypocrite

- Everything you’ve said on this topic is invalid

- You must really not care about free speech

- The above is unchangeable and ever-lasting 

- Your ancestors will laugh at you until the end of time 

- Your neighbor will soon start tapping your wife

This is fun!  Yay, culture wars!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let’s see?  DJ immediately apologized and took back his statement.  How come I’m not hearing complaints about the PC Thought Police bullying him into changing his tune?  Didn’t you complain about that with Brees and Fromm?  I thought it was a free country and we can say whatever we want?  How come you complained about it then, but not now?  Well, I guess:

- You’re a hypocrite

Think the troll manual is being updated Coach. Version 2.0 out soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

This isn’t rocket science.  Police brutality is wrong, looting peaceful store owners is wrong, comments against African Americans or any other group is wrong, including anti-Semitic comments.  I have no idea why DJ would say something in writing as inflammatory is mind boggling.  It just tells me if he is going to write it, he meant it, and that is what is in his heart.  I tell my boys as my daughter doesn’t do most of the social media stuff, what they write can be held against them.  Thankfully, they are good kids who are not prejudiced at all.

If I’m the Eagles, I would fire him.  He’s getting older anyway, but in corporate America, it wouldn’t even have been a discussion.  If I said something like this which I wouldn’t, I would be fired on the spot.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

My guess is that Jews have long since gotten used to no one doing anything about this type of stuff.  Career ending if you say it about certain groups, virtually ignored if you say it about Jews.

Jackson cut?  Don't make me laugh.  

Well I certainly got used to it growing up. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently the NFL has spoken, condemning the posts:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29422431/eagles-desean-jackson-says-hate-jewish-community-posting-anti-semitic-messages

The NFL released a statement Tuesday calling Jackson's comments "highly inappropriate, offensive and divisive" and saying they "stand in stark contrast to the NFL's values of respect, equality and inclusion." The league said it has been in contact with the Eagles on the matter.

The NFL and the Eagles organization have done so. I’m interested in hearing from the Carson Wentzes, the Tre Whites, the Josh Normans, or any other player that’s been so outspoken about hate; or really any NFL player at all.

The silence is absolutely deafening.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

- You’re a hypocrite

I’ll speak on his apology...

I’m not appalled or outraged by what he said, because it’s ignorant. Ignorance is sad, not offensive IMO.

He apologized. Twice. The first one was clumsy and (IMO) lacked some authenticity. The second appears to have been carefully crafted by a PR team. Fine. Either way, apology noted; let’s see what he does moving forward.

The aspect of this that’s disappointing is that—given the current climate surrounding racism and hatred toward people’s background or heritage—not a single NFL player has spoken out to say “hey, wait a minute, we of all people should know better. How can we expect people to listen to us if we don’t clean up our own house?”

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’m not appalled or outraged by what he said, because it’s ignorant. Ignorance is sad, not offensive IMO.

He apologized. Twice. The first one was clumsy and (IMO) lacked some authenticity. The second appears to have been carefully crafted by a PR team. Fine. Either way, apology noted; let’s see what he does moving forward.

The aspect of this that’s disappointing is that—given the current climate surrounding racism and hatred toward people’s background or heritage—not a single NFL player has spoken out to say “hey, wait a minute, we of all people should know better. How can we expect people to listen to us if we don’t clean up our own house?”

I don’t disagree, but the context matters.  The “current climate” you’re referring to seems to be at some sort of societal “tipping point” with respect to racism against Blacks.  This has been building for quite some time, it’s structural in nature, it’s been stoked by POTUS, and it represents a severe power imbalance that is systemic.  It’s very different from some idiot parroting Crazy Farrakhan.  

As a Jew, I don’t feel threatened by what DJax said - he basically called me a purple alien.  He’s a moron and possibly mentally ill. I’ve always been troubled by the fringe element of anti-semitism that pervades the Black community and I share the frustration some have expressed here that the Left has a real blind spot when it comes to racism and homophobia by minority groups - there is a tendency to either ignore it or chalk it up to structural causes (“it’s not their fault, they’ve been so oppressed”) - that’s hogwash.  People are people, and many people are bigots.  (Including several posters in this thread hiding behind the “whataboutism”).

But let’s be real here: it’s not Black people shooting up synagogues, typically, it’s radicalized white gun nut nationalists and Islamic-inspired terrorists.  I worry about them, and I worry about far Left professors who cloak their anti-semitism in “colonial studies” garb.  In fact, if you view the political spectrum as a curved circle, anti-semitism is where the Far Right and Far Left meet on the back end - Jim Bob who works at Guns & Ammo in Akron Ohio and Tabitha who owns a lesbian bookstore in Berkeley can’t agree on anything at all, except that Jews are evil.  They can both kiss my Ashkenazi behind.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They only care about racism that affects them. They aren’t “anti-racist” at all.

These are the same people who would be okay with turning back the boats of Jewish refugees.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

- You’re a hypocrite

I’ll bite. You aren’t hearing about the thought police bullying him because outside of a few articles, NFL Players and the regular media isn’t talking about this much at all?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I’ll bite. You aren’t hearing about the thought police bullying him because outside of a few articles, NFL Players and the regular media isn’t talking about this much at all?

Save yourself the “bite” - I’m not engaging with you on this topic or any topic, sports or otherwise, ever.  Sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

This isn’t rocket science.  Police brutality is wrong, looting peaceful store owners is wrong, comments against African Americans or any other group is wrong, including anti-Semitic comments.  I have no idea why DJ would say something in writing as inflammatory is mind boggling.  It just tells me if he is going to write it, he meant it, and that is what is in his heart.  I tell my boys as my daughter doesn’t do most of the social media stuff, what they write can be held against them.  Thankfully, they are good kids who are not prejudiced at all.

If I’m the Eagles, I would fire him.  He’s getting older anyway, but in corporate America, it wouldn’t even have been a discussion.  If I said something like this which I wouldn’t, I would be fired on the spot.

This is spot on.  Even with him saying that he didn’t understand what the quote really meant, I do not understand how he could’ve misunderstood THAT much.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t disagree, but the context matters.  The “current climate” you’re referring to seems to be at some sort of societal “tipping point” with respect to racism against Blacks.  This has been building for quite some time, it’s structural in nature, it’s been stoked by POTUS, and it represents a severe power imbalance that is systemic.  It’s very different from some idiot parroting Crazy Farrakhan.  

As a Jew, I don’t feel threatened by what DJax said - he basically called me a purple alien.  He’s a moron and possibly mentally ill. I’ve always been troubled by the fringe element of anti-semitism that pervades the Black community and I share the frustration some have expressed here that the Left has a real blind spot when it comes to racism and homophobia by minority groups - there is a tendency to either ignore it or chalk it up to structural causes (“it’s not their fault, they’ve been so oppressed”) - that’s hogwash.  People are people, and many people are bigots.  (Including several posters in this thread hiding behind the “whataboutism”).

But let’s be real here: it’s not Black people shooting up synagogues, typically, it’s radicalized white gun nut nationalists.  I worry about them, and I worry about far Left professors who cloak their anti-semitism in “colonial studies” garb.  In fact, if you view the political spectrum as a curved circle, anti-semitism is where the Far Right and Far Left meet on the back end - Jim Bob who works at Guns & Ammo in Akron Ohio and Tabitha who owns a lesbian bookstore in Berkeley can’t agree on anything at all, except that Jews are evil.  They can both kiss my Ashkenazi behind.

Generally agree. I more meant that I’d like to think that being at said tipping point would make it all the more obvious to the NFL community that speaking out against all hate (and not just racism against certain groups) is paramount.

It’s not enough to avoid evil; we also have to avoid the appearance of evil.

• Like (+1) 3

Honest take on his continued employment here.  The Iggles are thin at WR even with him.  I wonder if they’re only keeping him until they can replace him, whether that’s tomorrow because they can work a trade or after the season.