DeSean Jackson posts anti-Semitic messages, quotes Hitler

FireChans

15 minutes ago, Putin said:

In the mean time we are waiting to hear from the same players who jumped on Brees for his statement,  And where’s ANTIFA on this ?

Totally get it. I noticed you’d mentioned you are Jewish in a few of your previous posts, and while we’ve had our differences in previous threads, I’m sorry you’ve had to endure things like this in the past. Will it get the same coverage as BLM? If I’m being honest, probably not. Is that right? Like I said in my previous post - absolutely not. I’m not excusing the comments or the media’s behavior. It’s unacceptable and DJAX deserves all the criticism that is coming his way. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Totally get it. I noticed you’d mentioned you are Jewish in a few of your previous posts, and while we’ve had our differences in previous threads, I’m sorry you’ve had to endure things like this in the past. Will it get the same coverage as BLM? If I’m being honest, probably not. Is that right? Like I said in my previous post - absolutely not. I’m not excusing the comments or the media’s behavior. It’s unacceptable and DJAX deserves all the criticism that is coming his way. 

Thank you and I REALLY  appreciate your honesty !!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Quoting Hitler is all you need to know.  But this will unfortunately be ignored.

How is it being ignored?  The Eagles disavowed it: "The Eagles on Tuesday responded by calling Jackson's posts "offensive, harmful and absolutely appalling" and said the team would take "appropriate action."  

Jackson has apologized.  "Jackson on Tuesday posted an apology on Instagram, saying he "really didn't realize what this passage [attributed to Hitler] was saying" and that he is "sorry for any hurt I have caused."   He's had conversations with the Jewish owner and with the Jewish GM of the team.

If an apology and saying he "didn't realize what it was about/sorry for hurt he caused" worked for the Patriots "3%" tattoo draft choice and worked for Brees, why shouldn't it work for Jackson?

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We know that's actually not a real Hitler quote, right?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hitler-start-wwiii/

It's horrid and anti-Semitic, but it's not a quote from Hitler.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Not that it matters too much in this case, but he did not actually quote Hitler (although I’m sure he probably thought he was.)

The quote is actually from an imagined conversation between “Hitler” and an author who is part of the ‘black israelite’ movement. It’s a fabrication by this author. I won’t go into the black israelite stuff here; it’s pretty out there. Feel free to check it out yourselves though.

Thank you #factsmatter

2 hours ago, LB3 said:

It wasn't Hitler. He thought it was Hitler. He's an idiot.

Can't disagree there

• Thank you (+1) 1

Numerous members of my family were gassed by Hitler's henchmen, including my great grandparents. One avoided it. He was shot in the head while in line for the gas chamber. Many people fail to realize that because of that monster, there are only 15 million Jews on Earth; only 5.7 million in the United States. (Talk about a minority???) Here's the thing, though. I don't hate Germany. I don't blame Germans. I don't want reparations. Not one person living in Germany today was responsible for the horrors my ancestors and millions like them endured. Why hate them? Why punish them? ?

As for the "Hitler" reference in Jackson's tweet -- Meh, everyone has been called "Hitler" over the past five years or so, to the point I've become desensitized to it. So I'd be lying if I say he offended me. The guy is a MORON, and those come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religions. I wish more people would realize and accept that. Then entire groups wouldn't be chastised and forced to condemn, apologize or boycott every time some ****ing imbecile tweets something.

• Like (+1) 9

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29422431/eagles-desean-jackson-says-hate-jewish-community-posting-anti-semitic-messages%3fplatform=amp

Didn’t see this talked about on the main board.

The Eagles have condemned his remarks.

Hopefully the rest of the NFL condemns his remarks the way Drew Brees’ remarks were condemned.

It is discussed in Eagles cap thread.

Jewish people have been one of the most persecuted in the Earth’s history.

It will be interesting to see how the NFL comes down on this but I suspect it won’t be harsh since there are very few Jewish players in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Or anyone. The dude quoted HITLER and was like “this guy gets it!”

Where’s Jamal Adams? Where’s Tre White? 

Only one of those two people publicly said that Hitler guy had some good ideas.

Interesting take.

First off, he didn't quote Hitler or say "that Hitler guy had some good ideas"

What he quoted was anti-Semitic and awful, but can we try to be rational and factual here?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I consider quoting what you believe are Hitler’s thoughts on the Jews and agreeing with it far worse than criticizing holding a protest during the National Anthem because you believe it’s a disrespectful time to do so.

I guess Tre and Jamal and the NFL media don’t.

I don’t really care how fast he apologized tbh.

It's human nature to care more when it's your own who are targeted.

I personally tend to agree that a virulently anti-Semitic quote is worse than criticizing a flag protest, but I have to recognize that my priorities are shaped by my experience and aren't other people's priorities (and it would be nice if you could recognize that). 

It has been estimated that between 7 million and 150 million blacks died due to the trans-Atlantic slave trade (during capture, during the Middle Passage, etc) and a large additional number died due to the conditions of slavery.   And that's not getting into conditions since.   Even the low end estimate is right on par with Hitler's atrocities.

That doesn't mean they weren't atrocities or that the quote Jackson posted wasn't despicable

Just as Jewish people are allowed, even expected to be more concerned about the Holocost than the Holomador, it seems to me that Black people should be allowed to be more concerned about problems affecting them and their families and friends and not expected to wax equally indignant about things that are more offensive to you or to me. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Y’all remember when players came out and attacked Brees for what he said and how those same players are silent when someone from their own race posted anti Semitic quote from Hitler?

What's your point?  Can they not be upset about things of their choosing?  Does everybody have to wax indignant about everything for their concerns to be valid?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First off, he didn't quote Hitler or say "that Hitler guy had some good ideas"

What he quoted was anti-Semitic and awful, but can we try to be rational and factual here?

It's human nature to care more when it's your own who are targeted.

I personally tend to agree that a virulently anti-Semitic quote is worse than criticizing a flag protest, but I have to recognize that my priorities are shaped by my experience and aren't other people's priorities (and it would be nice if you could recognize that). 

It has been estimated that between 7 million and 150 million blacks died due to the trans-Atlantic slave trade (during capture, during the Middle Passage, etc) and a large additional number died due to the conditions of slavery.   And that's not getting into conditions since.   Even the low end estimate is right on par with Hitler's atrocities.

That doesn't mean they weren't atrocities or that the quote Jackson posted wasn't despicable

Just as Jewish people are allowed, even expected to be more concerned about the Holocost than the Holomador, it seems to me that Black people should be allowed to be more concerned about problems affecting them and their families and friends and not expected to wax equally indignant about things that are more offensive to you or to me. 

What's your point?  Can they not be upset about things of their choosing?  Does everybody have to wax indignant about everything for their concerns to be valid?

Taking your argument to it’s logical conclusion, white/Indian/Asian people should be allowed to be more concerned with problems that affect them and not be expected to wax equally indignantly about things that are more offensive to others?

I don’t agree.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Since this is your thread, I'll ask- did you 'attack' Fromm for his comments?

Nope.

Edited by FireChans

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Jewish people have been one of the most persecuted in the Earth’s history.

Can't disagree there

It will be interesting to see how the NFL comes down on this but I suspect it won’t be harsh since there are very few Jewish players in the league.

Just curious has the NFL come down on/disciplined other players for social media stuff?

I know someone here can answer this.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So you're hardly in a position to opine on the theoretical double standard I was asking the other poster about.

So, how do you feel about Tre White and Jamal Adams remaining silent about this?

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So you're hardly in a position to opine on the theoretical double standard I was asking the other poster about.

So wait, you don’t think a double standard is being applied with the NFL and media members for boldly taking an extremely vocal stand against a white player making a racist comment, and another white guy talking about disrespecting the flag, but staying mostly silent while a black player peddles raw, frank anti-Semitism?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Taking your argument to it’s logical conclusion, white/Indian/Asian people should be allowed to be more concerned with problems that affect them and not expect to wax equally indignantly about things that are more offensive to them?

Aren't they more concerned about things that affect them more directly? 

When's the last time you heard a White American refer to Winston Churchill as a genocidal maniac?  Or take up fundraising for the 2005 Kashmir earthquake with equal vigor as for Hurricane Katrina relief?  On the other hand, shouldn't a Pakistani be reasonably expected to be more concerned about the aftermath of Cyclone Yemyin?  I know a Pakistani woman who was horribly upset that more Americans didn't take initiative to donate for relief there.  I was sorry for her distress, but I felt her expectation was unrealistic.

We are all more concerned with problems that affect us - our friends, our families, our communities, our countries. 

Those of us with a sense of social justice put some time and effort into other problems, but we're still likely to regard problems that affect us more personally as more serious.

I don’t agree.

OK.   Be sure to be equally indignant or offended by everything then.

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, how do you feel about Tre White and Jamal Adams remaining silent about this?

I feel that they have personal choice about whether and when to speak out about something and no obligation to stay "up with" and speak out equally about every craptastic comment in the world or against every injustice

• Like (+1) 1

The owner of the Philadelphia Eagles is Jewish, so his comments certainly got the attention of the team.  It's not racism per se, but it certainly is prejudice of a kind that can give rise to violence and unrest.  Jackson says he's open to rethinking his sentiments.  Hopefully he is not just spouting words to save his roster spot, but really is open to looking at the world from a different perspective.

• Thank you (+1) 1