What movie has the best soundtrack?

I'm starting to think a more interesting category may be "Best original score" for a movie. Most of what has been mentioned (by me as well) are movies that have a bunch of music we know and like. Composing movie specifically for a particular movie is a real art form in itself. 

Good Bad and Ugly is a great choice. How about The Last Tango in Paris soundtrack? Here's a piece:

Edited by The Dean
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm starting to think a more interesting category may be "Best original score" for a movie. Most of what has been mentioned (by me as well) are movies that have a bunch of music we know and like. Composing movie specifically for a particular movie is a real art form in itself. 

Good Bad and Ugly is a great choice. 

That is a great choice, which reminded me that I forgot to add: Once Upon A Time in the West.

I also agree that writing music for a movie is a great art form. Far more challenging than songs.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, T&C said:

I don't remember it but is it this version?

Same song. Never knew 'my version' was a cover. Cool, thanks for that.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith (The Monkeys) was executive producer of Repo Man and I always assumed a big influence on the soundtrack.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Truly a difficult question.  How does one equate a full symphonic score written for a movie to a 'period piece', where the music of the era serves as the soundtrack?

That being said, 'Bullitt'.  A great jazz score by Lalo Schifrin.

I love the music from Local Hero.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Same song. Never knew 'my version' was a cover. Cool, thanks for that.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith (The Monkeys) was executive producer of Repo Man and I always assumed a big influence on the soundtrack.

Repo man is a damn fine soundtrack

not the best, but another good one