Happy 80th Birthday to Richard Starkey, AKA ...

WhoTom

... Ringo Starr.

While his drumming didn't stand out like that of Keith Moon or John Bonham, Ringo laid down some exceptional, yet subtle, drum licks. I have to admit that in my younger days, I thought Ringo was the luckiest drummer in the world. Then a friend of mine, who happened to be a drummer, put on a Beatles album and pointed out the intricacies of his playing style on various songs. I gained a new appreciation for the man.

• Like (+1) 2

Ringo is the luckiest drummer of all time. 

Like a lot of other drummers and musicians, he found himself in the right place at the right time, working with the right musicians.

It reminds me of comments made by Stuart Copeland from The Police.  He mentioned seeing/hearing Sting perform in some small bar in London or something like this before The Police were a thing.

When he saw Sting's natural talent, he said he immediately knew "I need to partner up with THIS GUY" because he knew Sting was the type of dude that could take Copeland to the big time.

I don't mean that as a knock on Copeland, who has an interesting style of drumming and is a much better musician than Ringo Starr.

But would we all know who Copeland is had he not bumped into Sting at the right time?  Probably not.

We definitely wouldn't know who Ringo Starr is without his fellow band mates.

Anyway, happy birthday to him.  

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Ringo is the luckiest drummer of all time. 

Like a lot of other drummers and musicians, he found himself in the right place at the right time, working with the right musicians.

It reminds me of comments made by Stuart Copeland from The Police.  He mentioned seeing/hearing Sting perform in some small bar in London or something like this before The Police were a thing.

When he saw Sting's natural talent, he said he immediately knew "I need to partner up with THIS GUY" because he knew Sting was the type of dude that could take Copeland to the big time.

I don't mean that as a knock on Copeland, who has an interesting style of drumming and is a much better musician than Ringo Starr.

But would we all know who Copeland is had he not bumped into Sting at the right time?  Probably not.

We definitely wouldn't know who Ringo Starr is without his fellow band mates.

Anyway, happy birthday to him.  

I respectfully disagree with your Stewart Copeland sentiment.  I think he'd have made it, even without Sting/the Police.  

I do agree that Sting was gonna be a superstar, no matter what.  But Sting's vision could not have come to fruition without Copeland's drumming abilities.

Everything about the Police was unique (guitar, bass, drums).  It's why - to me - they really are their own genre.  No band has ever even tried to mimic them.  But their impact was/is enormous and it's easy to hear which musicians/bands were influenced by them.

Like the Beatles (and Hendrix), the Police made an everlasting mark in a very short period of time (1978-1983).  Very impressive.

As for the original topic, yes ... Ringo was super lucky, LOL. A great drummer (or singer, or musician) he has never been.  But the Beatles didn't need a great drummer, so it all worked out.

HFBD, Ringo!

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I respectfully disagree with your Stewart Copeland sentiment.  I think he'd have made it, even without Sting/the Police.  

I know this is a Ringo thread but I know you love music so I won't pass up this opportunity to make sure you are familiar with Oysterhead.

Stewart Copeland, Les Claypool, and Trey Anastasio.  Absolute monster lineup that I hadn't thought of in a few years.  Time to pull up Grand Pecking Order and if you aren't familiar with it, I hope you enjoy too!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, section122 said:

I know this is a Ringo thread but I know you love music so I won't pass up this opportunity to make sure you are familiar with Oysterhead.

Stewart Copeland, Les Claypool, and Trey Anastasio.  Absolute monster lineup that I hadn't thought of in a few years.  Time to pull up Grand Pecking Order and if you aren't familiar with it, I hope you enjoy too!

TOTALLY familiar with them!!!  Very cool stuff.  I appreciate the nod, though!!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ringo wasn't anywhere near as 'lucky' as people like to make out. Was he the least talented of the 'fab four', undoubtedly. Were there a whole bunch of other more technically accomplished drummers around in his era, for sure.

A few things that do stand out though, are the simple fact that the other guys (Beatles) wanted him, which was why Pete Best got fired.

Ringo was also not interested in being especially technically proficient, what he was interested in, and was one of his strengths, was finding the right 'groove' for the song. Some of those were especially unique at the time. He came up with things that others wouldn't have even thought of.

His 'feel' for the songs, was also brilliant, as evidenced by his 'fills'. They were simply 'right'.

Over the years, I've seen many articles where different drummers have paid their respects to those aspects of Ringo's playing, with all coming to pretty much the same conclusion, that his contributions to the music, were very underrated.

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Ringo was also not interested in being especially technically proficient, what he was interested in, and was one of his strengths, was finding the right 'groove' for the song. Some of those were especially unique at the time. He came up with things that others wouldn't have even thought of.

His 'feel' for the songs, was also brilliant, as evidenced by his 'fills'. They were simply 'right'.

Over the years, I've seen many articles where different drummers have paid their respects to those aspects of Ringo's playing, with all coming to pretty much the same conclusion, that his contributions to the music, were very underrated.

That's exactly the point my friend (the drummer) was making: while any competent drummer could easily replicate Ringo's licks, how many could have created them in the first place? Not many.

• Like (+1) 1

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and playing a musical instrument

Sir Richard Starkey MBE (born on July 7th, 1940; Liverpool, England) known professionally as "Ringo Starr", is an English musician, singer, songwriter and actor who gained worldwide fame as the drummer for the Beatles. He occasionally sang lead vocals with the group, usually for one song on each album, including "Yellow Submarine", "With a Little Help from My Friends" and their cover of "Act Naturally".

After the band's break-up in 1970, he released several successful singles including the US top-ten hit "It Don't Come Easy", and number ones "Photograph" and "You're Sixteen". His most successful UK single was "Back Off Boogaloo", which peaked at number two.

Since 1989, he has toured with thirteen variations of Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band.

Starr's playing style, which emphasised feel over technical virtuosity, influenced many drummers to reconsider their playing from a compositional perspective. He also influenced various modern drumming techniques, such as the matched grip, tuning the drums lower, and using muffling devices on tonal rings.

In his opinion, his finest recorded performance was on the Beatles' "Rain". In 1999, he was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame. He was inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a Beatle in 1988 and as a solo artist in 2015.