The Supreme Court Just Pointed Out the Absurdity of the Electoral College. It's Up to Us to End It

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ger·ry·man·der  

gerund or present participle: gerrymandering

manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favor one party or class.

achieve (a result) by manipulating the boundaries of an electoral constituency.

It is a practice intended to establish an unfair political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries, which is most commonly used in first-past-the-post electoral systems.

An explanation of gerrymandering v

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/01/this-is-the-best-explanation-of-gerrymandering-you-will-ever-see/

Similar WRT the Presidential elections     v 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/29/how-the-electoral-college-gerrymanders-the-presidential-vote/

Are you just going off on a tangent or are you actually so ignorant you think the EC is related to gerrymandering? The number of electors is decided by size of population of states, it is determined by number of representatives and then add 2 for senators. The way the electors are chosen, with exception of Maine I think, is most votes in state get ALL the electors. Gerrymandering is used inside of state boundaries. I will just confirm- you think Gerrymandering effects the EC?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

To clarify .... If POTUS elections continue to put in office candidates who do not

also win popular vote....there will be pressure to amend the constitution...

can you grasp that?

Pressure from whom? The pressure will not reach 2/3 of each chamber and 3/4 of states- the dummies who are "pushing" for it now will be same people doing it in future. Do you really believe any of the bottom 20 states in population want to eliminate there ability to have any input in selecting a president? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ger·ry·man·der  

manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favor one party or class.

It is a practice intended to establish an unfair political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries, which is most commonly used in first-past-the-post electoral systems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/01/this-is-the-best-explanation-of-gerrymandering-you-will-ever-see/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/29/how-the-electoral-college-gerrymanders-the-presidential-vote/

I'm trying to understand why you're bringing gerrymandering into an Electoral College discussion.

As far as I know, the "winning" Political Party of each State gets to choose Electors.  So if the popular vote for President in a State went to a Democrat, then that State's Democratic Party chooses the Electors and the Electors vote along Party lines.  This is true even if there were a Republican Governor and Republican State Legislative majority and that State voted for a Democrat for President - -the Party of the winning candidate would choose the Electors.  The choice of electors is actually based upon a STATEWIDE popular vote.  This doesn't really have anything to do with Congressional or Statewide voting districts, or how they are mapped out.  Not at all.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ger·ry·man·der  

At the State level, both parties do it and the laws for determining districts are different in nearly every state.   Expect more in 2022 once the latest census is processed. 

53 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

At the State level, both parties do it and the laws for determining districts are different in nearly every state.   Expect more in 2022 once the latest census is processed. 

You are correct but I am curious what this has to do with the EC? I know you did not start this line but am confused on the relevance.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are correct but I am curious what this has to do with the EC? I know you did not start this line but am confused on the relevance.

It's not relevant to the EC, but after census some states will lose or gain electoral votes and house seats with the new census and that gives Governors "a reason" to carve up districts.  Here in Illinois we're going to lose a seat I believe. Blue seats will get protected here. 

Edited by keepthefaith

7 hours ago, TH3 said:

The EC will likely be under greater and greater pressure. Sure it’s in the constitution.....but.... in 2000 and 2016... the candidate who won the popular vote was not put in office. I would think this is unsustainable no matter what party does what. 

This sort of thinking always cracks me up. "I don't like the outcome, and don't understand the process so we need to change the way we do things."  One of the reasons for the "EC" was exactly for the thing you're worried about.  These recent results are proof that it works, NOT that it doesn't work.

• Like (+1) 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, SoCal Deek said:

This sort of thinking always cracks me up. "I don't like the outcome, and don't understand the process so we need to change the way we do things."  One of the reasons for the "EC" was exactly for the thing you're worried about.  These recent results are proof that it works, NOT that it doesn't work.

I don't agree.

The US Government at the Federal level is set up to overwhelmingly give power to small states with small populations at the expense of big states with big populations.

It's the only level of government where the popular vote doesn't automatically win. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, jrober38 said:

I don't agree.

The US Government at the Federal level is set up to overwhelmingly give power to small states with small populations at the expense of big states with big populations.

It's the only level of government where the popular vote doesn't automatically win. 

Amazing

You pulled out a post of mine from July.

In the end it proved that the system worked! Biden is going to be the next President. 

The Founders envisioned this to be a loose collection of States. Some are big and some are small. They were then and they still are to this very day. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the State. It was NOT designed to be a big federal government with a bunch of subservient states underneath them. You have to remember, that’s exactly the form of government the Founders specifically wanted to get away from.  

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Founders envisioned this to be a loose collection of States. Some are big and some are small. They were then and they still are to this very day. It has NOTHING to do with the size of the State. It was NOT designed to be a big federal government with a bunch of subservient states underneath them. You have to remember, that’s exactly the form of government the Founders specifically wanted to get away from.  

Yeah that would be the first version that failed miserably before they came back together to form one with a stronger central government so they'd actually be United and not basically an Alliance.

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah that would be the first version that failed miserably before they came back together to form one with a stronger central government so they'd actually be United and not basically an Alliance.

So you’re trying to say they just FORGOT to change the part about the electoral college when they ‘came back together’? Interesting. 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re trying to say they just FORGOT to change the part about the electoral college when they ‘came back together’? Interesting. 

So you think the centralizing of power in a few electors is an indication of the Founders wanting decentralized power?