Should the NFL allow more players this year?

Should the NFL allow more players this year?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. More players or no?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

As others said practice squads should have added players, and if your team comes down with 15-20 cases more than likely that’s gonna end the season for the whole league anyways. 

This, and now with just 2 PS games, rookies/UDFA’s have next to zero chance to prove themselves-or the players who currently hold the position to show necessary growth.

But, this year is already so upside down and inside out, I have no clue what’s the best tactic moving forward. ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Putin said:

If this is going to get to a point where players will be getting sick left and right , then the answer will probably be to end the games/season not bringing in more players 

They will not necessarily get sick but may have been exposed to virus and need to be quarantined for two weeks.  This appears to happen to a number of people.  The NFL may just decide to be cautious and limit player with notice that player is getting paid for time and they have responsibility to stay out of touch except for tests with medical staff.  In past there have been players to injured to play (according to player and player's doctor) but player was witnessed playing pickup basketball, golf, volleyball, etc.  It is not supposed to be a paid vacation.

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This, and now with just 2 PS games, rookies/UDFA’s have next to zero chance to prove themselves-or the players who currently hold the position to show necessary growth.

But, this year is already so upside down and inside out, I have no clue what’s the best tactic moving forward. ?‍♂️

Nobody does. Hard to say I feel bad for millionaires and their families but it’s sooooo much more than just the regular starting big money players. Fringe roster guys and UDFA  guys and equipment managers and trainers etc etc all guinea pigs in this experiment. I selfishly want to see some football but the pressure from the very top to the very bottom to try and pull this off must be insane. I have began leaning towards suspending the season. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 2

I voted no, as the question is posed, for mostly selfish reasons.

The more teams are able to expand their rosters, the deeper they become. The Bills, last season, and this season, had an advantage in depth, especially on defense. We will also be carrying more continuity from last season than most other teams, especially in our division. I wouldn't want to dilute those advantages. 

I do think the PS should be expanded considerably. The risks of Covid-19, and the possibility of losing players to the virus aren't going to apply to the actual day of the game. Once there are 46 men on the field on Sunday, it's not like someone is going to drop out at halftime. It's during the week when a significant number of players might test positive, and have to quarantine. I would think having a minimum of 23 PS players, and expanding PS eligibility requirements significantly would be a good safety net for the season.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I voted no, as the question is posed, for mostly selfish reasons.

The more teams are able to expand their rosters, the deeper they become. The Bills, last season, and this season, had an advantage in depth, especially on defense. We will also be carrying more continuity from last season than most other teams, especially in our division. I wouldn't want to dilute those advantages. 

I do think the PS should be expanded considerably. The risks of Covid-19, and the possibility of losing players to the virus aren't going to apply to the actual day of the game. Once there are 46 men on the field on Sunday, it's not like someone is going to drop out at halftime. It's during the week when a significant number of players might test positive, and have to quarantine. I would think having a minimum of 23 PS players, and expanding PS eligibility requirements significantly would be a good safety net for the season.

Points well taken. If we have any leg up on many teams, it’s 3 years with McD, Beane & Co. Expanded rosters diminish that advantage.

10 hours ago, Mickey said:

As my Uncle Zeeb used to say, when a ship is sinking, the idea is to get everyone off the ship, not recruit additional passengers. Is the ship sinking? Only time will tell but lord knows, it's not looking good.

Two MLB teams had to suspend training camp because of too many Covid cases. They are only a week in and it's already getting tenuous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

NFL players are just as susceptible to this virus as anyone else.  And they're not going to be practicing social distancing, mainly because it's impossible to do when it comes to playing a contact sport.

If someone needs the NFL in order to make a unselfish/responsible decision, then that someone is a feeble-minded a-hole, IMO.

This (forcing this season to happen) is just another example of money being more important than life.

It's ***** football.  It's a ***** game.

Good take Gu,

I will say however football players like anyone else deserve the right to make their own decisions when it comes to working/ playing and judging from the difference of approach and opinions from the younger generation to old on Covid 19. For the most part we have a difference of opinion. Myself personally, its probably just as dangerous to go shopping or eat out at a restraunt then to play contact sports on a field with men tested on a regular basis.

I'm just saying... 

Edited by Figster

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

NFL players are just as susceptible to this virus as anyone else.  And they're not going to be practicing social distancing, mainly because it's impossible to do when it comes to playing a contact sport.

If someone needs the NFL in order to make a unselfish/responsible decision, then that someone is a feeble-minded a-hole, IMO.

This (forcing this season to happen) is just another example of money being more important than life.

It's ***** football.  It's a ***** game.

Players don't have to play.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, the IR designated to return needs to change to accommodate maintaining the quality of game day rosters. 

"....the NFL changed the IR with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player who will get the designation at the time they are placed on the list. Now, teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate to be on the list has been met.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on IR. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR after they’ve been on the list for eight weeks (or more).

One constraint here is that a player must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1 to be eligible for the IR designation to return. That means, anyone who was placed on IR before roster cuts were made to trim the roster down to 53 players is not eligible."

A positive test that runs the course through quarantine and an actual illness would last 4 weeks minimum?  Ready to play again in 6 weeks maybe?  Let's say this applies to 6 players over the course of 4 months.  They should be IR'd and they should be eligible to return to the active roster when ready without restriction.  Teams should not have to worry about designating only two for return to the roster on top of players who suffer a more typical physical injury. 

Reduce the time limit to 6 weeks and allow more than two to return.

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

Such passion.

Not sure what state you're from, but New York is in just about the best shape in the country and I don't want anything putting that into jeopardy.  

Any kind of "bubble" plan is a pipe dream.  If anyone thinks these athletes are going to go months without getting laid or seeing their families, you're out of your minds.

Had the "idiot states," followed NY/NJ/CT, my feelings would be much, much different, I'm sure.

But as of now, this country is an effing mess as far as the pandemic is concerned and forcing an NFL season, to me, shouldn't be a priority.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Not sure what state you're from, but New York is in just about the best shape in the country and I don't want anything putting that into jeopardy.  

Any kind of "bubble" plan is a pipe dream.  If anyone thinks these athletes are going to go months without getting laid or seeing their families, you're out of your minds.

Had the "idiot states," followed NY/NJ/CT, my feelings would be much, much different, I'm sure.

But as of now, this country is an effing mess as far as the pandemic is concerned and forcing an NFL season, to me, shouldn't be a priority.

I have to believe that were all the teams to follow protocols that included no fans in attendance, daily testing of all players, and staff, and a vigorous cleaning, and disinfecting regimen, they would be reasonably safe, and manageable.

I live in Los Angeles, the idiot city, in the idiot county of the idiot state of CA, and some motion picture productions are starting to open (mostly commercials), and so far seem to be manageable. Larger productions have yet to restart, but that has far more to do with production costs, and managing the safety costs of these shows. If the NFL wants to spend the money, they can do it.

Edited by Rocky Landing

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Two MLB teams had to suspend training camp because of too many Covid cases. They are only a week in and it's already getting tenuous.

MLS also shut 1 team down and is on the verge of shutting down a second team and they have just started.

It is no joke in these community spread situations- it is spreading like wildfire.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

Not sure it matters. As long as every team is allowed the same number, they all have the same issues to deal with.

It might be wise to seperate the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string players during practice sessions, locker room activity and on gamedays.

When I say seperate I mean in a social distancing manner. (With the hopes of keeping each level of player groups intact)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Figster said:

It might be wise to seperate the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string players during practice sessions, locker room activity and on gamedays.

When I say seperate I mean in a social distancing manner. (With the hopes of keeping each level of player groups intact)

Agreed. Probably a rolling start to practice makes sense. 1st string comes in at 7. Field by 8. Quickly disinfect the room. 2nd string in at 8:30. Field by 9:30, etc. It would require additional investment in expanding the staff and cleaning attendants, but it is manageable, and insures that the entire roster doesn't cross contaminate except on Sundays. 

I guess it all depends if the Pegula's could afford to do that and maintain their families lifestyle...

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, Rc2catch said:

As others said practice squads should have added players, and if your team comes down with 15-20 cases more than likely that’s gonna end the season for the whole league anyways. 

Add as many practice squad players as you want. That way, decades from now, those guys will be able to tell their grandkids about how they once were NFL football players.   :)

As much as I hate to say it, I’m kinda with @Gugny on this one. Our Mayor is now instituting a mandatory mask policy. We wanted to head to the NC mountains for a little vacation, but found they have a similar policy there. I don’t know how you legally and responsibly pull off an NFL football season in this environment. I’m not afraid or hiding in the house, just being realistic and practical. I’d love to be wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Agreed. Probably a rolling start to practice makes sense. 1st string comes in at 7. Field by 8. Quickly disinfect the room. 2nd string in at 8:30. Field by 9:30, etc. It would require additional investment in expanding the staff and cleaning attendants, but it is manageable, and insures that the entire roster doesn't cross contaminate except on Sundays. 

I guess it all depends if the Pegula's could afford to do that and maintain their families lifestyle...

But.....won’t they need meetings by position? All the WR’s in one room, all of the OLine having their meetings. You could have entire positions go down. How do you field a team if one position group is decimated? It’s unlikely to be spread evenly across a team, I’d think. 

Edited by Augie