Should the NFL allow more players this year?

Should the NFL allow more players this year?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. More players or no?

• Yes
    • No

If this is going to get to a point where players will be getting sick left and right , then the answer will probably be to end the games/season not bringing in more players 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

With everything going on, should the NFL allow teams to carry more than the 53 players this year? I was thinking in the 70-75 range. 

If players are missing games at that level - then the season should be shut down.

I also do not see where the money is coming from to pay these extra players without some major concessions from the current players.  If they keep close to 75 players - that is like an additional 700 players across the league.  Even at a minimum salary of $500,000 - that is like 350 million for players salaries in a year they expect to see an ~30% decrease in revenue with few to no fans.  That does not include the extra travel cost, food cost, stipends, and risk of virus spread with a higher density of players needing to use the same size facilities.

I could see a small boost in practice squad players and maybe a shift in practice squad rules with teams not being able to steal practice squad players and more call ups.  You could also see an adjustment in the IR allowing sick players two or three weeks of IR and a free call up or something, but I do not see a big expansion of the active roster.  The cost would be prohibitive without that being counteracted someplace else in the CBA.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As my Uncle Zeeb used to say, when a ship is sinking, the idea is to get everyone off the ship, not recruit additional passengers. Is the ship sinking? Only time will tell but lord knows, it's not looking good.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only reason I voted no, is an active player is $400,000 +, but a practice squad player is $125,000.  I absolutely agree increasing the practice squad To 20 makes perfect sense or at least 16 which is being thrown out there by some.  We need enough bodies to deal with the virus.  That part is obvious.  Just taking a guy off the street is not the best plan as it’s expected the virus will take people out for at least two weeks.  If more bodies have been practicing and know the playbook, and strategies, we’re in better shape.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

CA, GA, FL and TX ... four of the "Idiot States," have ten NFL teams between them.

There should not be an NFL season.

Why?   Play w/o a packed stadium.   

Sell blocks of seats so that capacity runs 30 to 50 % capacity.   

Playing the game isn't going to cause more harm.   It will keep people in front of a TV for 4 to 12 hours depending on fanhood.   

That is better than them going out to public parks and beaches where the morons can infect more people in public.  

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Playing the game isn't going to cause more harm.   It will keep people in front of a TV for 4 to 12 hours depending on fanhood.   

That is better than them going out to public parks and beaches where the morons can infect more people in public.  

NFL players are just as susceptible to this virus as anyone else.  And they're not going to be practicing social distancing, mainly because it's impossible to do when it comes to playing a contact sport.

If someone needs the NFL in order to make a unselfish/responsible decision, then that someone is a feeble-minded a-hole, IMO.

This (forcing this season to happen) is just another example of money being more important than life.

It's ***** football.  It's a ***** game.

Edited by Gugny
typo
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

If this is going to get to a point where players will be getting sick left and right , then the answer will probably be to end the games/season not bringing in more players 

This!  I said the same thing when this same question came up in the last couple months.  

?

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

That does not include the extra travel cost, food cost, stipends, and risk of virus spread with a higher density of players needing to use the same size facilities.

I would not have the extras travel with the team, just take who you normally would.  

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I would not have the extras travel with the team, just take who you normally would.  

Then what's the point of expanding the roster if they're not really on the roster?  Isn't that what the practice squad is for?

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And when you need to get to go to the bathroom or get a beer, will you levitate your way to the aisle? As I recall, negotiating your way to the aisle requires a whole lot of butt-to-face interactions measured in inches. Whether you have to go past 50 people or 25 or 33 or whatever, there is going to be a whole lot of social intimacy. I am so glad that we invented television.

Edited by Mickey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Mickey, great take on walking through the aisles, and for that matter the tunnels, bathrooms, etc.  It is absolutely impossible to do social distancing in a mass event like an NFL game.  Is it so bad to sacrifice being in the stands for the public good, but the positive is you get to watch all the games.  The players have to sacrifice their routine to get paid their full amount, meaning the face guard and underarmour shirt long sleeve, and gloves to minimize contact, and maybe allowing extra time for people to run clean sanitized towels out between plays.  None of which will protect completely, but it’s something.

I for one want the games, want to make it as safe as can be thought of for the players, more importantly the coaches and staff as many of them are older, and still have some kind of entertainment for all of us.  It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.  By 2021, I’m confident there will be a commercially available vaccine for those that want to take it.  My guess is the spring so by the fall of 2021, we should be able to get this under control.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

NFL players are just as susceptible to this virus as anyone else.  And they're not going to be practicing social distancing, mainly because it's impossible to do when it comes to playing a contact sport.

If someone needs the NFL in order to make a unselfish/responsible decision, then that someone is a feeble-minded a-hole, IMO.

This (forcing this season to happen) is just another example of money being more important than life.

It's ***** football.  It's a ***** game.

How afraid of life are you?!!  People have been dying since the beginning of time.  Are you seriously that afraid of Covid-19?  The virus isn't going away until there is a vaccine or it cycles thru the entire population.  Its just something we need to deal with and live our lives.  You can just shut it down and hide.  But I think most of us are moving forward with some precautions.  

There is absolutely no reason for the NFL season to be postponed.  How is that going to get rid of the virus?  You have to live and enjoy.  And btw I live in one of the "idiot states" you mentioned.  We are doing fine in Georgia as far as the Corona is concerned.  We are going out, taking precautions and living our lives.  How is it going for you all worked up and shut in?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

How afraid of life are you?!!  People have been dying since the beginning of time.  Are you seriously that afraid of Covid-19?  The virus isn't going away until there is a vaccine or it cycles thru the entire population.  Its just something we need to deal with and live our lives.  You can just shut it down and hide.  But I think most of us are moving forward with some precautions.  

There is absolutely no reason for the NFL season to be postponed.  How is that going to get rid of the virus?  You have to live and enjoy.  And btw I live in one of the "idiot states" you mentioned.  We are doing fine in Georgia as far as the Corona is concerned.  We are going out, taking precautions and living our lives.  How is it going for you all worked up and shut in?

I'm not worked up at all.  I'm also not shut in.  

I guess part of "living and enjoying life," for me is knowing I'm doing my part as far as not killing other people goes.

And no ... no, you're not "doing fine," in Georgia. 

Be well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

the "how afraid of life are you" comments have become the meathead's battle cry.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1