Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

7 hours ago, Billl said:

In case you care, Tyreek has 4 kids with Crystal Espinal, the woman who accused him both times.  He has full custody of all 4 of them.  He didn’t do it either time, and she basically admitted as much on the recording she made.  She lied.  He didn’t do any of it.

And he should have won father of the year for those wonderfully loving tapes talking about how his 5 year old should fear him.

I am not a contract expert but KC seems to have gotten the best of both worlds- they only pay 180 million the first 6 years but lock him in for 4 more if his contract at that point if it benefits them. I know they will not be able cut him without damage but it is still much better than I had originally though it would be 

• Like (+1) 1

After 2 years of Mahomes, this looks like a steal for the Chiefs, assuming the cap grows every year.  As long as he stays healthy and Andy Reid is there, they'll be contenders and maybe a new dynasty.  

2 minutes ago, P Riv said:

After 2 years of Mahomes, this looks like a steal for the Chiefs, assuming the cap grows every year.  As long as he stays healthy and Andy Reid is there, they'll be contenders and maybe a new dynasty.  

That's an incredible assumption right now. If this was last off season, I could see the Chiefs doing this deal. But now??? With the world in turmoil??

It's far more likely that the cap decreases, possibly multiple times, in the next few years, given the hit the owners are going to be taking at the gate + concession stands.

At the very least, the Chiefs could've waited to see what the next few months will bring.

• Haha (+1) 1

Outside of injury risk, Inwas listening to detailed breakdown of the contract on MTC on NFLR, and Kirwan as always did a great job breaking it down.  For those that have on demand, it’s at the beginning of the AFCE secondary review which they were very positive about us and the Pats.

I guess he has to go to year 8 before he even matches the per year avg. of Wilson in Seattle.  It was very interesting as these guys aren’t surface analysts.  They really get into the nuts and bolts of it.  This was great for KC, and if you’re Mahomes and want to be with a team for mist of you’re career, he’ll make a ton of $.  I can’t even fathom that $, and each year, their risk is just no career ending injuries.  Barring that, those guys projected by the time he retires, he’ll be maybe in the top 12-15 years.  Sounds nuts, but after the next two years if they avg. out the cap loss, will skyrocket the next 10 years.

Both sides win so KC gets to extend people, and Mahomes gets $ forever and his generations of family are set up forever.

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

That's an incredible assumption right now. If this was last off season, I could see the Chiefs doing this deal. But now??? With the world in turmoil??

It's far more likely that the cap decreases, possibly multiple times, in the next few years, given the hit the owners are going to be taking at the gate + concession stands.

At the very least, the Chiefs could've waited to see what the next few months will bring.

Likely the cap decreases???  Only if the season is cancelled with no games played at all.  The NFL makes a fraction of its revenue from ticket sales, with the vast majority coming from TV deals, corporate sponsors, license agreements and merchandising.  So, I'd say your assumption is far more "incredible" than mine and hopefully we see a full season.  Even if there's a cap on fans in the stadium or none at all, the NFL will turn a profit and result in a flat cap.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, P Riv said:

Likely the cap decreases???  Only if the season is cancelled with no games played at all.  The NFL makes a fraction of its revenue from ticket sales, with the vast majority coming from TV deals, corporate sponsors, license agreements and merchandising.  So, I'd say your assumption is far more "incredible" than mine and hopefully we see a full season.  Even if there's a cap on fans in the stadium or none at all, the NFL will turn a profit and result in a flat cap.  

Here's what Adam Shefter has to say on the subject:

“We all wait to see when and if there will be football this season — and I think there will be — what form it will take. I think that everybody understands and recognizes that it could be, potentially, a little bit of a shortened season. Hopefully not, maybe not, but it could be. It certainly could be with no fans...

“Now i want people to think about this going forward — because it is something that the NFL and the NFLPA soon is going to have to be thinking about — and that is if there are no fans in the stands this season that would equate essentially to about on average roughly $100 million less in revenue per team for each of the 32 NFL teams in the NFL. If we multiply that $100 million by the 32 we get $3.2 billion in lost revenue, and why is that a big deal? Because the Salary cap is based off the total revenue that comes in...

“So if there is $3.2 billion in less revenue, which is a rough number... but well within the range that is expected and as other people pointed out there are other financial losses as well, we are looking, potentially, at the salary cap dropping in 2021 by $70 to $80 million.”

You're right, P Riv, the majority of the revenue comes from the TV contracts, and the TV ratings will be sky high this year. But those deals are carved in stone. The NFL won't be getting more from the TV networks until the current deals have expired. EVERYTHING else will see a drop. Game day merchandising and concessions, parking revenue, and corporate sponsors will be decreased due to their revenue issues (and a lack of sufficient exposure, due to the inevitable cancellation of NFL events).

Check back with me in 9 months. The cap will be reduced, at least for 2021, and possibly another year or 2 after that. It may not see the $200 million mark again until the next TV deals come into play, when the NFL can strong arm the networks into shelling out for the monster ratings they're going to get in the next few years.

• Like (+1) 1

Almost no way the cap goes backwards.  This is a savvy business and very resourceful, basic math is out the window.

Per Ian Rapoport:  

Rapoport reports the league is potentially looking at a drop of at least $40 million in the salary cap in 2021, depending on the revenue that comes in this season.

According to Rapoport, the league wants to avoid this and keep the salary cap flat, at worst. He suggests the league is thinking of potentially borrowing against future years and banking on new television contracts.

However, with the looming economic hit that will hurt the league this season, a flat cap could help players and teams avoid a disastrous situation.

The 2021 salary cap was expected to skyrocket next season before the pandemic following a newly signed collective bargaining agreement. Now with reduced attendance and a projected drop in consumer spending, it would likely fall significantly.

However, instead of shaving off $30 million off the 2021 salary cap, the NFL would spread it out across several years of the CBA. The league would be able to do this thanks to labor peace and even more streams of revenue that are on the way.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:57 PM, Zerovoltz said:

Funny you should mention Tannehill.....over the next 4 years, Ryan Tannehill will make more money than Patrick Mahomes.

Um....they are bringing back 20 of 22 starters from last years team...One of the starters being replaced is Reggie Ragland....with 2nd Round pick Willie Gay Jr. (first round talent, slipped in draft for knocking out his own QB)  And we added Clyde Edwards Hellaire.  ....also....SEE ABOVE....Mahomes costs LESS THAN RYAN TANNEHILL for the next 4 seasons.

And....the core is signed through 2021 by the way.  Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Fisher, Schwartz, CEH, Honey Badger, Frank Clark, Thornhill, Butker....we are locked and loaded for a good run.

Other than Willie Gay being a 1st round talent.... he wasn't for me... he went right about where I had him graded... I agree with the above. Bills fans really need to learn star players > cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Almost no way the cap goes backwards.  This is a savvy business and very resourceful, basic math is out the window.

Per Ian Rapoport:  

Rapoport reports the league is potentially looking at a drop of at least $40 million in the salary cap in 2021, depending on the revenue that comes in this season.

According to Rapoport, the league wants to avoid this and keep the salary cap flat, at worst. He suggests the league is thinking of potentially borrowing against future years and banking on new television contracts.

However, with the looming economic hit that will hurt the league this season, a flat cap could help players and teams avoid a disastrous situation.

The 2021 salary cap was expected to skyrocket next season before the pandemic following a newly signed collective bargaining agreement. Now with reduced attendance and a projected drop in consumer spending, it would likely fall significantly.

However, instead of shaving off $30 million off the 2021 salary cap, the NFL would spread it out across several years of the CBA. The league would be able to do this thanks to labor peace and even more streams of revenue that are on the way.

This is what I have always said will happen. A flat cap in 2021 with the rationale that isn't a "real" fall in revenues but a reaction to a global emergency and therefore they are confident the money will return in time.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Per Ian Rapoport:  

I'm not hoping you're wrong, P Riv. The owners may want to absorb the hit, in order to keep things as "business as usual" as possible.

My main point was, with so many unknowns about this upcoming season, why do this deal now, if you're the Chiefs? Couldn't you wait until September, when the landscape would be a little clearer?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'm not hoping you're wrong, P Riv. The owners may want to absorb the hit, in order to keep things as "business as usual" as possible.

My main point was, with so many unknowns about this upcoming season, why do this deal now, if you're the Chiefs? Couldn't you wait until September, when the landscape would be a little clearer?

Two things:  

1. Your rep points are more than your total posts...that deserves a "Like"

2. Your Avatar is of Josh Allen...that deserves an "Awesome"

10 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

The deal was done 9 days before the deadline for players to sign their franchise tenders.  Chris Jones, the Chiefs’ best defensive player, has not signed his offer yet.  No long term offer could be made to him until a deal was reached with Pat, so the timing of this deal makes perfect sense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

new tv deals come eventually and barring the league tanking it’ll be huge gains. They will likely “borrow” against that short term for stability,