Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is what I responded to. 

You do realize that the smiling face denotes humor right? ?

33 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You do realize that the smiling face denotes humor right? ?

I do but we disagree on who is mad. If you said “Dallas is pissed ?“ I wouldn’t have commented. I interpreted the smiley face as laughing AT the pissed off party. It wasn’t just you either. Others had the same reaction. 

The point remains that giant contracts, at the same position, are great for impending free agents. They celebrate them because it means they will be getting more. That’s true in all cases. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

KC Chiefs 2020 Salary Cap before the PM $ 

Est. Cap Space (All) : $-16,975,634

Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $3,544,366

2021 Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $22,520,20    with 52 "active" players on the books

2022 Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $111,796,672   with only 36 "active" players on the books

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero report that the 10-year deal is worth up to $503 million, with a rolling guarantee structure that would pay Mahomes $477 million over 12 seasons. Mahomes will be fully guaranteed $63 million at signing and will have $103.5 million guaranteed by March of 2021 and $141.4 million guaranteed by March of 2022, if he's still on the roster at that point, according to Pelissero. (Feels like a safe bet!) Rapoport added that there is a no-trade clause in the deal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/winners-and-losers-from-patrick-mahomes-contract-extension

So it’s a 3-year deal worth $47M per year with a series of team options afterward.

Should he see all 10 years of the deal, the “new money” average is $39.75M per season. That, to me, is right in-line with the market. Russ gets $35M per, so for youth, escalation, and a new CBA, just under $40M on a new-money-average basis makes perfect sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lol bro, if things turn out that people aren’t watching football and the NFL isn’t making money 5 years from now, a QB contract is going to be the last worry on an owners’ mind.

Now Mahomes has enough money to buy the Sabres and keep the Pegulas afloat.

Things always work out.

LOL Bro, who cares about 5 years from now.....so in the meantime it is fine for the Chiefs to keep spending millions annually on Mahomes,

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So it’s a 3-year deal worth $47M per year with a series of team options afterward.

Should he see all 10 years of the deal, the “new money” average is $39.75M per season. That, to me, is right in-line with the market. Russ gets $35M per, so for youth, escalation, and a new CBA, just under $40M on a new-money-average basis makes perfect sense.

C'mon Bandit.    Did I say that?   

When the roster drops to 30 starters is it really meaningful to go further?

Lets ballpark and say that 20 new players sign, on average, at $5 Million 20 is $100 Mil.  That's the cap available for 2022.  And still w/o PM's $.

https://sports.yahoo.com/problems-patrick-mahomes-contract-130254739.html

The problems with the Patrick Mahomes contract

Mike Florio ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports July 7, 2020

It’s difficult for me to criticize the Patrick Mahomes contract, because the criticism of the contract is not and should not be regarded as criticism of Patrick Mahomes. Ultimately, he has the right to sign whatever contract he wants to sign. Two years, five years, 10 years, 12 years, 20 years.

But the problem is that Mahomes is the best player currently in the NFL, with the arrow pointing straight up. He potentially could become the best player in league history, at any position. His skills and abilities deserve if not command a contract that reflects his unique talents and blindingly bright future. The contract he has signed does not.

The point is that a lot can happen in 12 years. One thing that can’t happen in 12 years is that Mahomes can’t make himself into a free agent. He’ll only become a free agent if the Chiefs cut him in order to avoid the fancy-sounding “guarantee mechanisms” that basically are a series of large annual roster bonuses.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gug’s, I was thinking the same.  Brady has 20 years of success, Manning, 18, and Mahomes is anointed after two.  I think he’s great to date, but the GOAT?  We can talk in 10+ years.

To be fair he didn't call him the GOAT. He called him the most talented. I have always said Rodgers is the most naturally talented of my era watching the NFL but I think Mahomes may well take that crown.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

C'mon Bandit.    Did I say that?   

When the roster drops to 30 starters is it really meaningful to go further?

Lets ballpark and say that 20 new players sign, on average, at $5 Million 20 is $100 Mil.  That's the cap available for 2022.  And still w/o PM's $.

https://sports.yahoo.com/problems-patrick-mahomes-contract-130254739.html

The problems with the Patrick Mahomes contract

Mike Florio ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports July 7, 2020

It’s difficult for me to criticize the Patrick Mahomes contract, because the criticism of the contract is not and should not be regarded as criticism of Patrick Mahomes. Ultimately, he has the right to sign whatever contract he wants to sign. Two years, five years, 10 years, 12 years, 20 years.

But the problem is that Mahomes is the best player currently in the NFL, with the arrow pointing straight up. He potentially could become the best player in league history, at any position. His skills and abilities deserve if not command a contract that reflects his unique talents and blindingly bright future. The contract he has signed does not.

The point is that a lot can happen in 12 years. One thing that can’t happen in 12 years is that Mahomes can’t make himself into a free agent. He’ll only become a free agent if the Chiefs cut him in order to avoid the fancy-sounding “guarantee mechanisms” that basically are a series of large annual roster bonuses.

I wasn’t picking on your statement; I was analyzing the published guarantees to get a feel for the “real” AAV

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

But he is asking far to much per his job requirement of creating team success. I mean Christ, a 2nd year project QB made him look bad on national tv, on thanksgiving no less. 
I would not be at all surprised when the Dak lead cowboys don’t make the playoffs again. 

Dak is a good QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

LOL Bro, who cares about 5 years from now.....so in the meantime it is fine for the Chiefs to keep spending millions annually on Mahomes,

Imagine thinking one player’s contract over 10 years will truly affect an owner’s bottom line so much without other drastic changes.

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

But he is asking far to much per his job requirement of creating team success. I mean Christ, a 2nd year project QB made him look bad on national tv, on thanksgiving no less. 
I would not be at all surprised when the Dak lead cowboys don’t make the playoffs again. 

How did Josh Allen affect how Dak Prescott played on Thanksgiving?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Imagine thinking one player’s contract over 10 years will truly affect an owner’s bottom line so much without other drastic changes.

I didnt imagine that, never said or intimated that. 

And yes a half a billion contract can easily effect a franchise with a value of $2.1 billion, if you can't "imagine" that,  it is your problem.

16 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Just for this, I hope there is never another down of football played...EVER...moohoohahahahaha!!!

I would miss the Bills though. I’d be happier if he just slipped on a mat in TC and destroyed his throwing arm.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1