Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If we win the Super Bowl next year, folks will still delude themselves that Allen will take $20M per season to remain competitive and then kill him when he doesn’t.

Maybe he'll buy a downtown stadium.

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Lol half a billion? Come on man! That’s almost half the worth of any franchise! 

The Bills sold for $1.4 billion 6 years ago.  I doubt there's a single NFL franchise worth less than $2 billion today.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s a good deal for KC. How the contract is structured will be interesting. Where are the outs for either side? 

If I heard correctly  $100 mil injury guarantee.   

140 million injury guarantee

is that really smart?   

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I read it has 140 million guaranteed, that will make it that they best pray he does not get hurt in year 2, though I wonder if NFL would give them a salary cap exemption if that were to happen.

140 million injury guarantee

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only if they lose.

Nope, everyone will hate him. It’s strange. Mario Williams was an all-pro and people complained about his contract. The same thing is going to happen with Tre. 

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If I heard correctly  $100 mil injury guarantee.   

140 million injury guarantee

is that really smart?   

It was either that or he doesn’t sign so yes. That average is good value over the life of the contract imo.

• Like (+1) 1

It is quite likely both the team and Patrick have outs at predetermined intervals, 

and boy will  Dak be pissed... ?

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It is quite likely both the team and Patrick have outs at predetermined intervals, 

He can be pissed all he wants...Mahomes deal is reflective of a player that leads his team to wins and championships.  Dak on the other hand has had a better overall roster and has led a team to underachieving and missing the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think the exact opposite. He will play this year on the tag but then probably gets like $38M-$40M a year for 4 years. A giant contract is a good thing for all of the others at his position not the opposite. Mahomes is obviously the best player in the world so I don’t expect the next guy to top it but it resets the market in Dak’s (and all QBs) favor. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the exact opposite. He will play this year on the tag but then probably gets like $38M-$40M a year for 4 years. A giant contract is a good thing for all of the others at his position not the opposite. Mahomes is obviously the best player in the world so I don’t expect the next guy to top it but    it resets the market in Dak’s (and all QBs) favor. 

Breakdown (unverified)- appears to be heavy shaded toward roster bonus for first 7 years, then kicks up base salary

EcR6ofPXsAELjq4?format=jpg&name=medium 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, everyone will hate him. It’s strange. Mario Williams was an all-pro and people complained about his contract. The same thing is going to happen with Tre. 

It was either that or he doesn’t sign so yes. That average is good value over the life of the contract imo.

This might be a great topic for another thread. But I think you’re right. 

Mario Williams was fine here. George Edwards wasn’t. By the time his luster wore out off after some highly productive years, he wasn’t the highest player in the league anymore. 

Dareus was one of the best DT in the league. His fall from grace was tragic and I feel for the guy. Hating on him is hindsight criticism at its best. 

Tre will be fine. They are a very good unit but lack a lot of star power. He plays with a lot of good enough at CB but not a ton for good. If we can keep a very good and cost efficient safety pairing it’s worth the cost. 

Josh Allen. Boy this one will be contentious unless he turns out to be a stud. If in 2 years Josh signs at  33M average we’ll be fine, assuming the cap starts to increase again. It’s actually probably a steal once you factor in a cap increase or two.  But if it starts to push substantially more than that, he’ll have to make up for much lesser talent at OL and WR and this board will get rough.

Then of course Gilmore was too much according to Bills fans. He’s currently a stud. Marshawn has a registered gun in his trunk, and searched while parked for no real good reason, he gets run out of town. Bob Woods wasn’t worth his LA contract, he was, and it was reasonable. We could go back decades with this.  

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He can be pissed all he wants...Mahomes deal is reflective of a player that leads his team to wins and championships.  Dak on the other hand has had a better overall roster and has led a team to underachieving and missing the playoffs. 

Yup, it’s as if Dak doesn’t understand that effort and success are two different things. 

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

not if a Alex Smith event happens. 

That’s the insurance for KC. 8 years from now the market value of Patrick Mahomes will probably be $60M plus a year. KC took the chance that it won’t be Alex Smith in order to lock him in at a smaller number.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the exact opposite. He will play this year on the tag but then probably gets like $38M-$40M a year for 4 years. A giant contract is a good thing for all of the others at his position not the opposite. Mahomes is obviously the best player in the world so I don’t expect the next guy to top it but it resets the market in Dak’s (and all QBs) favor. 

It may very well end up that way, but there is a stark difference between Pat and Dak, and pay, one would think we be reflect actual performance slash success. On a team success level Dak has been average, while Patrick has been awesome. 

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Deshaun Watson is the second biggest winner today.  Mahomes is making about 42 million a year so Deshaun should demand at least 40 million.  O'Brien will pry give him 50.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Dak wasn’t asking for more than Mahomes got.

This is, inarguably, a win for Dak (and all QBs). Josh Allen is having a great day. Sam Darnold is having a great day. Baker Mayfield is having a great day. Lamar Jackson is having the 2nd best day.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

It may very well end up that way, but there is a stark difference between Pat and Dak, and pay, one would think we be reflect actual performance slash success. On a team success level Dak has been average, while Patrick has been awesome. 

That doesn’t matter though. QBs get paid regardless. Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Jimmy G, etc... this is a HUGE win for Dak. It’s a loss for Dallas now. Dak will get more in 8 months than he would have weeks ago. He’s looking at like like 4 years and $160M with $120M guaranteed (plus the $33M or whatever from this year). That’s more than he asked for.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Deshaun Watson is the second biggest winner today.  Mahomes is making about 42 million a year so Deshaun should demand at least 40 million.  O'Brien will pry give him 50.

Oh yeah, I forgot about him!! Good call

• Like (+1) 2