Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

It was a smart move as they spread out the bonus, etc. over 10 years.  They have serious as do the other 31 teams of contracts during the economic impact of the pandemic.  They locked up their guy, he has $ for a long time, and they spread out things for an extended period of time.  It’s genius.

Just now, Billl said:

What’s Josh getting this time next year?

Nothing anywhere near that unless he lands an MVP and super bowl win. 
Allen currently might struggle to get a deal similar to Ryan tannehill in Tennessee 

• Like (+1) 2

This is an odd signing. QBs of his caliber almost never hit free agency. He would have made the money no matter what. So why sign for a big chunk of time when you know future contracts are all but guaranteed? People may say “well, this is guaranteed”, but we know no contract is guaranteed in the NFL. As for guaranteed money and signing bonus, these go up every year. It’s highly likely that if you added up signing bonuses and guaranteed money for 2 5-year contracts, one being 5 years in the future, he would’ve made more with 2 separate contract. I guess, using that logic, the Chiefs got the best deal. 

Edited by Saint Doug
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m not wish any harm on Mahomes, love watching him play, he’s the face of the NFL for the near future and makes the league better....

But you put this kind of length on a deal, what happens if a Alex Smith situation happens or has a season ending injury that he never recovers fully? Do the Chiefs have an out? Or are they tied to him through 2032?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Billl said:

Josh is setting himself up for a $30 million per year deal with another season like last year. 

If he struggles then he'll likely play out his rookie deal.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

All that money, but stuck in Kansas City for 10 years. :lol:

Stuck? I mean he an go anywhere in the offseason and post career.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Hey Bill,  it looks like they can get out of it in a few years, but They are spreading out the hit over a long time, and after the pandemic, the cap will go up.  Then as far as Allen, he is not Mahomes who went 4 years, and Allen as a 1 st round pick the Bills can extend to a 5th year So they have three years to make sure.  If they still weren’t sure could tag him for another two years.  They are so safe on him to make sure he is the guy.

I think he is the guy, but at least they have breathing room, and if he is the stud we hope, he’ll get paid and the other studs like White will already be extended.  It’s a great business decision and strategy.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

If Josh plays to the level that I expect he’s going to be in the $30M’s. I’d guess something like 4 years, $145M with $115M guaranteed. Basically the Goff contract plus inflation.

TBD will absolutely lose its collective minds and Josh Allen with simultaneously become public enemy number 1 in Buffalo. Buffalo fans hate all highly compensated athletes. It’s the strangest thing ever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

TBD will absolutely lose its collective minds and Josh Allen with simultaneously become public enemy number 1 in Buffalo. Buffalo fans hate all highly compensated athletes. It’s the strangest thing ever.

Only if they lose.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Thank God we didn’t draft him, that’s a lot of jack!

Yeah, and I read a post around here talking about the financial issues going on with fracking, so it sure is good we didn’t draft him. ? 

Edited by SirAndrew

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only if they lose.

If we win the Super Bowl next year, folks will still delude themselves that Allen will take $20M per season to remain competitive and then kill him when he doesn’t.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Only if they lose.

I agree, I think Bills fans would be fine with Allen taking all the cash he wants, if we become a consistent contender. You can’t assume how the fans would react based on guys like Mario Williams. The drought years were brutal, and everyone was looking for scapegoats. You also had people like me who didn’t understand why teams who weren’t contenders, would pay big time bucks for some of those guys. Many of our highly compensated players were poor attempts to keep the franchise relevant, while not investing in the proper areas. The players themselves happened to take the blame for being unable to lift the team above being bottom feeders.