Mahomes Ten Year Deal with Chiefs

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

No its gonna be about $400 Million.   $40M per year for 10 years.

Talk in KC was around $40mm per year for 5 years.  It’s going to be WAY north of that.  This isn’t a 10 year contract.  From what I’m hearing, it’s a 10 year extension of the two years left in the current deal.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Zero reason, really...more like $300 million reasons why or whatever % of the cap he will get.

The endless era of every year NFL players getting more every inexorably could end in a heartbeat.   The Sports Networks are financialy strapped right now and probably going to get worse, who in their right mind is going to want to shell out XYZ$ for a fooball ticket with 75K other people with COVID going around.

OK I will take a shot at what he should be signing for what basically amounts to his entire career

10 years $525M/half guaranteed

and I'd still hesitate if I were him tbh

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

OK I will take a shot at what he should be signing for what basically amounts to his entire career

A 10 year extension for the most part benefits the player over the team.  The exchange was likely less in per year guarantees in exchange for extra years.  The total may still be high, but the total is always an irrelevant number anyway. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

$500 million?

If KC shelled out that much more then are absolutely crazy. 

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

The other owners would come after the Hunts with pitchforks!!

How so?  He was going to get $40+ million a year on a short term deal.  12 years from now, QBs may well be topping $75 million figuring in roughly 5% inflation.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A 10 year extension for the most part benefits the player over the team.  The exchange was likely less in per year guarantees in exchange for extra years.  The total may still be high, but the total is always an irrelevant number anyway. 

How so?

That contract has to be worth close to 20% of the value of the franchise. The guaranteed money alone would be enough to make him a part owner. I wonder what the out clauses are. I'd be shocked if each side didn't have a way to pull the plug say, after five years or something.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No one knows what the NFL is going to look like in 10 years.  Most "fans" had adopted this mentality that there is no end in sight to the salary cap increasing every year which, certainly, under these new circumstances, is, imo lunacy.

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

How so?  He was going to get $40+ million a year on a short term deal.  12 years from now, QBs may well be topping $75 million figuring in roughly 5% inflation.

He WAS.

That was before Sports effectively stopped and people stopped wanting to go with 75K of their favorite strangers in a stadium for 4 hours.  So how is ESPN doing financially lately?

QBs MIGHT be topping $75 million in 10 years or might be getting a fraction of that.

This concept that football will never drop in popularity is historically and hopelessly naive.  

The risk of a 10 year deal is unbelievably risky right now.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Players are at great risk for injury. They want longer contracts with more guaranteed money so if anything happens they know they are taken care of. 

I think recent trends suggests players, especially QBs, are looking for shorter contracts so they can double or even triple up on guaranteed money 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I think recent trends suggests players, especially QBs, are looking for shorter contracts so they can double or even triple up on guaranteed money 

I think that is about the upcoming cba negotiations.  They don't want to tie themselves down to something that will last past the new cba, which may open up the path for them to get substantially more money. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think that is about the upcoming cba negotiations.  They don't want to tie themselves down to something that will last past the new cba, which may open up the path for them to get substantially more money. 

Right...so why would this be a good deal for Mahomes?