Washington DC Needs a New Football Nickname: Help Them Out

Message added by Chandler#81

Temp Title Washington Football Team

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

Whatever it is, they may not show it on TV but there will be a TON of Redskins gear still worn at the stadium.

Very true! Unlike if, ya know.....the Jags made a change. They don’t show the tarps much......

On 7/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, Gugny said:

Hogs is the perfect name.  

Obviously because of the famous O-line, but it's also a nice spin on the Beatles' (Harrison) "Piggies," which describes Washington, D.C., to a T.

Yup.  Hogs.  With all the pork in Washington it’s the perfect name.  Plus the historical OL thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

The Washington DC's? :)

I am not much of a soccer fan, but I’ve always loved the name D.C. United.  Super patriotic in a completely non-partisan way.  I’d say that they should just buy the rights and use it except for their commitment to their current color scheme.  It only works with red, white and blue.  So I’m back to Hogs (or Razorbacks). 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Love it. And, apparently, there's already a following!

aaa.jpg

I was going to type this out the other day, but thought the mods might not like it.

Anyway, GG, that was funny.  Like another poster mentioned, I honestly don’t care about the DC team, other than some of these posts were really funny.  I also agree, everyone is just going to keep wearing their current jerseys, and shirts.  It won’t change and there is nothing anyone can do about that.  Even if they agreed to do a free swap for new shirts, they still will wear their old ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Is the name “reds” offensive? I always thought, they could just change it to the Washington reds and it would at least sound like it always did. Kind of like the devil rays, going to the rays. Nobody is asking Cincinnati to change their name now right? So maybe the Washington Reds...would be ok? Sometimes its hard to know what is and isn’t offensive in this landscape.

Just leave the Signage and everything the same and change from Redskins to the Warriors !

My first thought was to just change it to cover the area they represent & call them the Washington Dipshits but that wouldn't go over very good because then the politicians would stand around with that DUH look on their faces like they didn't understand so that's why i went with Warriors .

That would promote the American Indians in a positive way .

• Like (+1) 2

Kind of going through this with the Cleveland Indians as my team (I have been resigned to a change for a few years now)...

Its a balance of traditional and good.

As long as they dont fall into the 2 pitfalls of terrible names and a pet peeve of mine when it comes to this.

Dont name it one of those 'trying too hard' 2-word nicknames that scream 00's minor league baseball.  They are hollow, without tradition, and usually change when they move or need to sell more merch or grab a headline.  "Rumble Ponies" "Iron Pigs" "Rail Riders" "Muckdogs" "Rock Cats" "Fisher Cats", etc...

Also, dont name it like it was a MLS or Indoor Lacrosse team.  Usually trying to be wise, not ending the name in an "S" and usually some sort of word for swift movement or something.  "Rush", "Surge", "Wild", "Wave", etc...