College football in the spring?

Greg S

Makes sense to me. It's the only way I see college football being able to happen.

For all the challenges the NFL faces in putting on a full season, college football has vastly more.

Spring football is better than no football, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Makes sense to me. It's the only way I see college football being able to happen.

For all the challenges the NFL faces in putting on a full season, college football has vastly more.

Spring football is better than no football, I suppose.

I don't know.....where would this leave them for the regularly scheduled 2021 season? They can't play back to back seasons, it would be too physically demanding.

I am asking questions here, not claiming to have answers.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't know.....where would this leave them for the regularly scheduled 2021 season? They can't play back to back seasons, it would be too physically demanding.

I am asking questions here, not claiming to have answers.

This is an 11 minute segment with ESPN's Heather Dinich talking on WGR talking about the college schedule. Everything is up in the air and nothing is settled. I don't see a full scheduled played, and I'm starting to believe that there is a good chance that the season for many schools will be cancelled. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-07-espns-heather-dinich

John, I read an article on a Crimson Tide fan page that a cancelled Alabama football season would cost the Tuscaloosa area more than 2 billion dollars. Obviousl;y I cannot attest to the veracity of this report, but; there is zero doubt that there are HUGE amounts of money involved. 

HUGE!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

John, I read an article on a Crimson Tide fan page that a cancelled Alabama football season would cost the Tuscaloosa area more than 2 billion dollars. Obviousl;y I cannot attest to the veracity of this report, but; there is zero doubt that there are HUGE amounts of money involved. 

HUGE!!!!!

CFB is big business. The NFL is king but CFB is right behind them. In some parts of the south CFB is more popular then the NFL. I especially enjoy watching games from the SEC. I don't know how they could have a spring season and be ready for the fall of 2021. Like you said there is a lot of $$$ involved and they will do everything they can to try and play.

• Like (+1) 1

I've yet to hear a compelling argument for spring college football. The ones that center around player safety are borderline insane. Two football seasons in one calendar year is the polar opposite of safe. the process is simply not sound. It is based on the idea of a vaccine, to which we have no idea if that is going to happen or not. Or that somehow the number 2021 is magical because it simply isn't 2020. Neither of those are plans, they are hope. Playing in the fall may not work. But the spring isn’t a magic solution. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I've yet to hear a compelling argument for spring college football. The ones that center around player safety are borderline insane. Two football seasons in one calendar year is the polar opposite of safe. the process is simply not sound. It is based on the idea of a vaccine, to which we have no idea if that is going to happen or not. Or that somehow the number 2021 is magical because it simply isn't 2020. Neither of those are plans, they are hope. Playing in the fall may not work. But the spring isn’t a magic solution. 

I don't think there is a compelling argument to be honest. Two football seasons in a short period of time is physically impossible without getting hurt. If CFB does cancel this year I wonder if the NFL could move some games to Saturday assuming there is an NFL season. I would love a triple header of NFL action on Saturday. Have a 1:00, 4:30, 8:00 start.

Edited by Greg S

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.