FMIA Guest: Kim Pegula On Lessons Learned Leading Bills During Covid

57 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I was speaking of Al Davis and Jerry Jones. It's true those championships were a long time ago, but they're still there.

Yeah, they're still there.  I don't think anyone's giving those (or gave in the case of Davis) a free pass just because they won SBs over 2 decades ago. 

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jones has not put together a solid roster currently in Dallas?

Ok.....

It's not the roster: it's sticking with Garrett for so long.  We'll see if McCarthy can do better.

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, they're still there.  I don't think anyone's giving those (or gave in the case of Davis) a free pass just because they won SBs over 2 decades ago. 

It's not the roster: it's sticking with Garrett for so long.  We'll see if McCarthy can do better.

isn’t assembling a roster also the GMs job?  Of course it is.  Why not acknowledge it, because it’s obvious?

On 7/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

You should really think first before commenting.  You sound like a turd.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

isn’t assembling a roster also the GMs job?  Of course it is.  Why not acknowledge it, because it’s obvious?

Jerry’s failure is as owner. He can’t relinquish any control on game day, practice, play call, game prep. He’s done a good job at assembling a roster. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Jerry’s failure is as owner. He can’t relinquish any control on game day, practice, play call, game prep. He’s done a good job at assembling a roster. 

I don't think he's calling plays on game day.

9 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You should really think first before commenting.  You sound like a turd.

Well said Blitz.  Why is the woman dumb for falling in love with a guy?  She appears to be a very bright, and thoughtful.  I don’t have a problem with her at all.  I’m not as big a Sabres fan, so I’ll leave that to you guys, but as far as the Bills, she and Terry are doing well.   Why critical of an ownership that brought us excellent coaches, management and players.  Sound financial management and not trying to bandaid a team, vs. taking the longer approach.  They methodically purged bad contracts, understood they made a mistake with Wrex, and we are in a better position now than we have been in 20 years.  We are set up for long term success.

was it a PR piece, yes, but people do this all the time.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's also the owner, is he not?  The owner and sometimes even the GM are responsible for hiring/firing the HC.  You and others like to bag on the Pegulas for hiring Rex, but at least they had the sense to fire him after just 2 seasons.

13 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I dunno, I’m looking at Fairfax VA on Zillow and a ton of cookie cutter townhouses are selling for $400-$500k it looks like.

I spent 8 years in the area (Loudoun and Prince William counties), and by the time we left in 2016 my wife and I were paying about $30 more per month for a 2 br / 2 ba apartment in Manassas than we’re paying now for a mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance) on a SFH in Amherst that’s double the size of that apartment. 

Do a quick search right now in your area. The market has gone nuts. I've seen more than one house add 100k in less than 5 years. It's not there yet, but the trend is troubling. We currently have the 3rd fastest growing market in the country. Buffalo simply doesn't have the jobs to keep pace. We aren't DC yet, but it's only a matter of time.

I don't think he's calling plays on game day.

I don't either. I was more referring to playbook editing, game plans, how to manage the day. It is not real information, but he was weirdly leading every meeting on "all or nothing" on Amazon. Weekly staff meetings, coaches game planning, editing practices. Garrett was just sort of his gimp, sort of felt bad for the guy.

17 hours ago, Mango said:

Oh for sure. I mean, I have a house I really like here, but my career had to get to a certain point before I got it. WE would have gotten something in Buffalo a little cheaper if we didn't have to leave for my SO's job. But the median income here is about 30k higher per year than Buffalo, so by that metric it isn't too bad. I don't get how the average person does it. Buffalo is infilling at the moment. Sort of filling in the donut hole. So as my friends have gotten really comfortable in their careers, they have bought houses on Richmond, Dorchester, etc. because it was trendy. Less are going to OP and East Aurora, Clarence. My more middle income friends who were renting in the city but can afford to buy now are pushing into first ring suburbs like Kenmore. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

I grew up in penfield, and i always liked the similar vibe from Williamsville/East Amherst/Clarence.  I liked OP but my wife didn't care for the commute up to Williamsville where she worked.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don't either. I was more referring to playbook editing, game plans, how to manage the day. It is not real information, but he was weirdly leading every meeting on "all or nothing" on Amazon. Weekly staff meetings, coaches game planning, editing practices. Garrett was just sort of his gimp, sort of felt bad for the guy.

If a report came out that an NFL was calling plays on game day, or suggesting them at least, he'd be the first one I'd suspect.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He's also the owner, is he not?  The owner and sometimes even the GM are responsible for hiring/firing the HC.  You and others like to bag on the Pegulas for hiring Rex, but at least they had the sense to fire him after just 2 seasons.

I covered this already, as you know:

Plus, you don't great credit for making a predictably poor choice (Rex) and then, 2 years later, admitting so....

1 hour ago, Mango said:

All or nothing?

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

If a report came out that an NFL was calling plays on game day, or suggesting them at least, he'd be the first one I'd suspect.

How many more decades of Jerry will you wait for such a report?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus, you don't great credit for making a predictably poor choice (Rex) and then, 2 years later, admitting so....

All or nothing?

Yeah. It’s on Amazon Prime. They have a bunch of seasons both NCAA and NFL. Think hard knocks but they follow the team during the actual season instead of training camp. The Arizona season with Ariana and Palmer is awesome. The Rams season was good. Jeff Fisher gets fired and they’re changing cities. Dallas was not that entertaining, too much Jerry Jones. Carolina wasn’t bad either. 

Highly recommend. I like it WAAAY more than Hard Knocks. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Yeah. It’s on Amazon Prime. They have a bunch of seasons both NCAA and NFL. Think hard knocks but they follow the team during the actual season instead of training camp. The Arizona season with Ariana and Palmer is awesome. The Rams season was good. Jeff Fisher gets fired and they’re changing cities. Dallas was not that entertaining, too much Jerry Jones. Carolina wasn’t bad either. 

Highly recommend. I like it WAAAY more than Hard Knocks. 

Thanks--I'll check it out.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:18 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And this is based on...?

Anyone that can convince their husband to spend 1.4 billion dollars to keep a team in Buffalo, NY is a genius in my book.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Anyone that can convince their husband to spend 1.4 billion dollars to keep a team in Buffalo, NY is a genius in my book.  

A rhetorical sword this sharp should always be used in the employ of the good. Heaven help us all if you ever turn to the dark side Donuts! :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

You also don't get credit for assembling a solid roster when your predictably poor choice of HC wastes it...and you stick with him for 9 years.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, Lurker said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/05/kim-pegula-bills-owner-fmia-guest-nfl/

I really enjoyed the bit about "Employees are family."   A whole lot of hot air / PR-speak to unpack in that column...

The Pegulas consistently and steadily sent the Sabres to dead last in the NHL over the last 8 or 9 years.

As long as Kim Pegula is running the show over there, and thinks she knows what she is doing, things are not going to improve.

The names of those who come and go will continue to change, however.

• Like (+1) 1