FMIA Guest: Kim Pegula On Lessons Learned Leading Bills During Covid

Despite what so many of you are bitching about, we are lucky to have the Pegulas. They have made some mistakes, for sure, but their heart has been in the right place.  I see there is a particular strand of fans who have always had it out for Kim Pegula.  You sound like a bunch of fugging idiots.  So, she gave a GM a vote of confidence, then back tracked? Gee..that never happens in sports!  If you are seeing "too much" of her for your liking, tough.  I have no doubt the NFL is pushing her to the forefront to help shore up their diversity issues. If you are upset that the Pegulas laid off numerous employees, it has happened all over the country.  

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At a rather 'rinky dink' operation I worked at way back in the 70s, one of the schedulers was protesting our driver complaints about the scheduler's cluelessness over routing trucks.  "We're family!" the scheduler whined.  "How do I get disowned?" questioned a fellow driver.

Guys no one knows the inside.  I think a lot of Kim.  She’s an admirable, and bright woman.  Have someone close to me as a friend who knows her and she has said nothing but really positive things about her and a true Bills person.  Good. Enough for me.  My daughter is Chinese (adopted) and my very best friend is a woman who is South Korean.  I believe Kim has our best interests at heart.  Yeah, I thought it was pr talk, but I’ve been in corporate America so long what did you expect.  She was just being smart.

if they didn’t have this team and city at heart, they could have easily moved the team.  If it was a $ thing, they would have done.  It’s the OCcam’s Razor argument.  The simplest argument is most likely true.  I know most of you know it, but those that don’t, look it up.  Basic philosophy and strategy.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Despite what so many of you are bitching about, we are lucky to have the Pegulas. They have made some mistakes, for sure, but their heart has been in the right place.  I see there is a particular strand of fans who have always had it out for Kim Pegula.  You sound like a bunch of fugging idiots.  So, she gave a GM a vote of confidence, then back tracked? Gee..that never happens in sports!  If you are seeing "too much" of her for your liking, tough.  I have no doubt the NFL is pushing her to the forefront to help shore up their diversity issues. If you are upset that the Pegulas laid off numerous employees, it has happened all over the country.  

It's just opinions...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

As someone already said: ¨opinions¨ only or how can you know all of this in your statement? based in your experience? or maybe by being acquainted to someone who runs a business?, I´d like you to please share with us, otherwise, I think can (imaginary) hear the automated response of ¨just my gut or opinion¨, and all is well and settled! ?

5 hours ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

Her whole story just has a giant creepfactor associated to it. She was 19/20 - Terry was 37/38 and they started dating and he gave her a job. I don't knock the hustle, but she didn't get where she is because of how smart she is. It's a pretty quintessential "Real Housewives" story as someone whose SO watches it on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

It's because the Pegulas are turning into the Good Guy version of Al Davis and Jerry Jones without the results.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Her whole story just has a giant creepfactor associated to it. She was 19/20 - Terry was 37/38 and they started dating and he gave her a job. I don't knock the hustle, but she didn't get where she is because of how smart she is. It's a pretty quintessential "Real Housewives" story as someone whose SO watches it on a daily basis.

She might not have been the one who built the empire, but that doesn't even make her close to "dumb."  To say so is idiotic.

15 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's because the Pegulas are turning into the Good Guy version of Al Davis and Jerry Jones without the results.

LOL!  No results?  Where, in the NHL?  This is a Bills board.  Take complaints about that team to that board.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Employees are family ... until they’re not. 

I had that same thought.  Employees are family - until your sister ticks you off and you make her pay you to drive her home when she calls you for a ride home on release from jail.  Or the dad of one of your kids breaks off contact because you asked him "Are you Sure?" when he told you he was getting married.   Or your daughter's husband moves out before they've been married a year.

Oh - not THAT kind of family?

40 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Here's what bothers me about this kind of assessment.  Suppose we grant that Kim Pegula didn't achieve her position by being smart or especially knowledgeable about football.

Do we go around the league and apply the same standard to the other owners/presidents/CEOs? 

Seriously - around the league how many of these guys achieved their position because of how smart, knowledgeable and competent they are? 

It just seems like a double standard to me. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that same thought.  Employees are family - until your sister ticks you off and you make her pay you to drive her home when she calls you for a ride home on release from jail.  Or the dad of one of your kids breaks off contact because you asked him "Are you Sure?" when he told you he was getting married.   Or your daughter's husband moves out before they've been married a year.

Here's what bothers me about this kind of assessment.  Suppose we grant that Kim Pegula didn't achieve her position by being smart or especially knowledgeable about football.

Do we go around the league and apply the same standard to the other owners/presidents/CEOs? 

Seriously - around the league how many of these guys achieved their position because of how smart, knowledgeable and competent they are? 

It is a blatant double standard.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're absolutely 100% spot on. Most people don't achieve insane levels of success through merit and especially not merit commensurate with success. That said, when people act as if they did, when they really didn't, it can be even more galling. I think the problem with Kim is that by inserting herself so strongly into the organization, she's telling us that she's up to the task. When it comes to the Sabres it's obvious that isn't true, and as for the Bills, it remains to be seen.

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

She might not have been the one who built the empire, but that doesn't even make her close to "dumb."  To say so is idiotic.

LOL!  No results?  Where, in the NHL?  This is a Bills board.  Take complaints about that team to that board.

I never said she was dumb.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Take it back Hap!

MarkDavisNFLOwnerHairGuruPFChangLover..j

https://raiderramble.com/2020/07/02/fans-not-happy-with-job-mark-davis-has-done-as-raiders-owner/

:P

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

...Or your daughter's husband moves out before they've been married a year.

Whenever that happens, I demand back the cost of the 'stag and doe' tickets I invariably bought for that.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yeah, I get that.  But they are our good guys, so why not pull for them?  They stepped up and saved our team from moving elsewhere...I don't think some here appreciate what a big deal that is.  On top of that, they have poured a *****-ton of money into the community. They are flailing with the hockey team, I will concede, but they seem to be on the right course with the football team. Every revenue stream they have is being negatively affected by the state of our country right now... is Kim Pegula any less qualified than many sports owners?  It just seems that some want them to fail, and enjoy taking shots at her, specifically.  I guess Ijust find it pretty dis-heartening.  The Pegulas are doing no worse with the Bills than Ralph Wilson did for most of his time as the owner.  They have only been running the team for 5 years...can't we cut them any slack? Or, do we want to drive them away too?

• Like (+1) 1

Realistically it's no different than any other business as to what they say and how they act.  The difference here is if it were say Joe's Belt Manufacturing, it likely wouldn't even make the news unless the numbers were large and very few would care unless you knew someone here personally affected.  But with fans, we feel like we're a part of it, but we're not.

The only owner I can think of that has had actual pro playing experience in their sport is Jeter.  Jerruh played college football but not pros.  If I’m missing any let me know, but this is why I have always found the concept that an owner is bad because they don’t understand a given sport is kind of silly.

I found the column enlightening and gave insights into what she and Terry are trying to do and the challenges they face.  Parts of it came off as tone deaf, but overall it was a very interesting read.

Edited by oldmanfan

IMO the article was intelligent, thought provoking and very well written. I take many of the negative comments as just typical stupid Internet BS.

One would have to be extremely ignorant (like living under a rock their entire adult life), just plain stupid or overly combative to suggest her use of "family" is insincere because they are laying off/firing some employees. In a business setting "treating your employees like family" doesn't suggest you will be in the owner's will or she will pay your way through college. It may be an overused cliche, but if you've ever worked for a company that treats their employees impersonally, like interchangeable automatons you might come to appreciate an employer that actually cares about their staff and values them as individuals. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am so "out of the loop" I have no idea what a "stag and doe" ticket is

Oh deer. :rolleyes:

I don't really know, either. Just wanted to use the deer pun.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

IMO the article was intelligent, thought provoking and very well written. I take many of the negative comments as just typical stupid Internet BS.

One would have to be extremely ignorant (like living under a rock their entire adult life), just plain stupid or overly combative to suggest her use of "family" is insincere because they are laying off/firing some employees. In a business setting "treating your employees like family" doesn't suggest you will be in the owner's will or she will pay your way through college. It may be an overused cliche, but if you've ever worked for a company that treats their employees impersonally, like interchangeable automatons you might come to appreciate an employer that actually cares about their staff and values them as individuals. 

Oh deer. :rolleyes:

I don't really know, either. Just wanted to use the deer pun.

What would those she laid off think of her “we are family” example, I.e. her arranging a wealthy player’s private jet ride to Buffalo?

Would the say it’s stupid internet BS, even though it comes from her? 

Pointing out tone deaf BS from wealthy owners isn’t itself BS...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

What would those she laid off think of her “we are family” example, I.e. her arranging a wealthy player’s private jet ride to Buffalo?

Would the say it’s stupid internet BS, even though it comes from her? 

Pointing out tone deaf BS from wealthy owners isn’t itself BS...

Speaking of overly combative...

I can't even decipher your question.

If someone gets fired they will be pissed. I was pissed when I found out I was cut out of my father's will. (I was restored a few years later, not that it matters much given the amount of money that will be left. ?)  But we are still family. 

Are you suggesting they should be happy because they were treated like individuals by a caring organization even though they lost their job or the whole family thing is BS? Again, words mean different things in different contexts.

And he words are  her words, not internet BS. But most comments are written by anonymous posters, not well thought out and simply meant to incite. Like most of your posts, IMO. But trolls will troll. 

Not that you are worth my time, but I have worked for companies (and bosses) who treated the staff like meat and others that have treated their employees more like "family". Even when I finally left the company, the difference in the experience while there was dramatic.